Next Oil Change...Opinions Needed

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
First off, not trying to start a debate here.

I've always ran Rotella T6 in my car and truck (and dirtbike and Motorcycle). Normally it's widely available and since all my toys take it, it's a one stop shop for everything. I've had great oil analyses from both the vehicles as well.

As most know, T6 is in super shortage right now. There has been none for months (5W-40) anywhere around me. It's time for an oil change again. Mobil 1 TDT would be my go-to next, but IT is even in short supply around here.

I like to try to stick to diesel rated oils that meet our specs.

I was browsing around to see if there was anything else available local and I came across the Mobil 1 5W-40 European Car Formula. Comes in 5 qt jugs (don't get me started on why in the heck gasser oil seems to come in 5 qts and diesel in 4 qts...).

Did a bit of reading on it and it seems to meet our ALH standards:

First off, if anyone has run this, how was your oil analysis after 10k miles?
Second, would it just be worth it to drive further and look for TBT since it's "diesel rated?"

I'm a bit concerned only because I just finished a lot of upgrades on the car and I've been working the engine a lot harder than it ever has been in its life. Also because this car has always run T6 since I've come into ownership and I'm not a fan of switching things up that work, unless I need to.

Like I said not trying to start a debate on this (When T6 comes back I will go back to it), just looking for a bit of advice between the Euro Car Formula and the TDT since those seem to be the only ones I can find around here right now.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M

I was browsing around to see if there was anything else available local and I came across the Mobil 1 5W-40 European Car Formula. Comes in 5 qt jugs (don't get me started on why in the heck gasser oil seems to come in 5 qts and diesel in 4 qts...).

Second, would it just be worth it to drive further and look for TBT since it's "diesel rated?"
If the one pictured above is the M1 Euro Car 0W-40, then I've used it with no issues. I used to use it for some winters in New England in Michigan. No "comparison" UOAs, sorry, but it was in rotation with T6, TDT, and occasionally a few others that IDParts had at the time. The UOAs I have done (never in succession) never revealed anything notable.

My car had zero mods when I used either of the M1's, and the only real differences I saw were "nicer" cold weather startups with the 0W, and slightly more oil added in-between oil changes with T6. I initially used mostly TDT across our ALHs, but started trying other oils when it was harder to find for a few years.

I know there are some UOAs posted elsewhere for these, plus Delo full synth 5W40 which is at usually also at Walmart. HTH a little.

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
Like I said not trying to start a debate on this
In before the debate 😄

I've only ever used these European formula oils. 5w40 synthetics with 505 rating. I've never done an oil analysis before though. From everything I've heard these oils are fine because they meet the requirements set out by vw in the owners manual.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
If the one pictured above is the M1 Euro Car 0W-40, then I've used it with no issues. I used to use it for some winters in New England in Michigan. No "comparison" UOAs, sorry, but it was in rotation with T6, TDT, and occasionally a few others that IDParts had at the time. The UOAs I have done (never in succession) never revealed anything notable.

My car had zero mods when I used either of the M1's, and the only real differences I saw were "nicer" cold weather startups with the 0W, and slightly more oil added in-between oil changes with T6. I initially used mostly TDT across our ALHs, but started trying other oils when it was harder to find for a few years.

I know there are some UOAs posted elsewhere for these, plus Delo full synth 5W40 which is at usually also at Walmart. HTH a little.
Appreciate the reply. The one pictured above is the M1 Euro Car, 5W-40. Good to know it's been run with no issues.

In before the debate 😄

I've only ever used these European formula oils. 5w40 synthetics with 505 rating. I've never done an oil analysis before though. From everything I've heard these oils are fine because they meet the requirements set out by vw in the owners manual.
Haha good place to be (pre-debate) :)
Appreciate the reply. Looks like I may be going with it this time.

Like I mentioned I'll be running the car pretty hard, just wanted to make sure it was going to provide the same protection that a diesel rated oil in that spec would.

That oil is not diesel rated, may not handle the soot.
This was my initial concern...

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
Appreciate the reply. The one pictured above is the M1 Euro Car, 5W-40. Good to know it's been run with no issues.

Haha good place to be (pre-debate) :)
Appreciate the reply. Looks like I may be going with it this time.

Like I mentioned I'll be running the car pretty hard, just wanted to make sure it was going to provide the same protection that a diesel rated oil in that spec would.

This was my initial concern...
I don't know that I'm correct about anything though. There's better oils that are diesel rated. I missed that part though the oil I use simply says on the back "for use in gasoline and diesel engines". Also says 505.00 Good enough for me. An oil change is cheap for me. Like 20 bucks for oil and filter. I'd rather just do an oil change more frequently than spend 3 times as much on oil, for example.

Im curious now though. I hadn't considered this diesel spec VS non diesel spec oil before.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
My eyesight is no longer youthful, but does it say 0W40 in the circle? I know that one is sold in 5qt jugs at Walmart.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
My eyesight is no longer youthful, but does it say 0W40 in the circle? I know that one is sold in 5qt jugs at Walmart.
Yes it does say that in the circle, I grabbed the image from the web. The back of both of the jugs are identical other than the weight.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
It meets the spec, I'd use it.
Personally I use liqui-moly top tech 4100 in all mine, pd and ve pumps. But, that's so I can use the same thing in everything.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Did some searching. T6 has been missing since early November. Some folk have found it in odd places, Tractor Supply, Home Depot, and some on-line stores. I've always used it for the same reason you do, it's the only one that is readily available (I won't wal-mart). But there are some other good full synthetic diesel rated oils out there. Never bought oil on-line, but some is available. They jacked up the price.
You proly don't want to, but your car does spec conventional (dyno) diesel rated oil.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Did some searching. T6 has been missing since early November. Some folk have found it in odd places, Tractor Supply, Home Depot, and some on-line stores. I've always used it for the same reason you do, it's the only one that is readily available (I won't wal-mart). But there are some other good full synthetic diesel rated oils out there. Never bought oil on-line, but some is available. They jacked up the price.
You proly don't want to, but your car does spec conventional (dyno) diesel rated oil.
For sure, just don't like flip-flopping back and forth.
I think I'll have to tool around to see if I can find some M1 TDT 5W40, but still intrigued a bit on the suitability of M1 Euro Spec 5W40 as it meets the spec in the FSM, but doesn't claim to meet any of the diesel C-__ ratings

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
First off, not trying to start a debate here.

I've always ran Rotella T6 in my car and truck (and dirtbike and Motorcycle). Normally it's widely available and since all my toys take it, it's a one stop shop for everything. I've had great oil analyses from both the vehicles as well.

As most know, T6 is in super shortage right now. There has been none for months (5W-40) anywhere around me. It's time for an oil change again. Mobil 1 TDT would be my go-to next, but IT is even in short supply around here.

Did a bit of reading on it and it seems to meet our ALH standards:

I'm a bit concerned only because I just finished a lot of upgrades on the car and I've been working the engine a lot harder than it ever has been in its life. Also because this car has always run T6 since I've come into ownership and I'm not a fan of switching things up that work, unless I need to.

Like I said not trying to start a debate on this (When T6 comes back I will go back to it), just looking for a bit of advice between the Euro Car Formula and the TDT since those seem to be the only ones I can find around here right now.
I've used it for no issue for 30,000 miles in my mk6.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I notice that there is a European Car Formula FS, and FS-X2...both say in the descriptions on the Mobil site that they are diesel rated:

I wonder what the difference is, but both state:

X2:
Product Description
Mobil 1™ FS x2 5W-40 European Car Formula is an advanced full synthetic motor oil engineered for the latest gasoline and diesel (without DPFs) engine technology delivering excellent all-around performance. It provides exceptional cleaning power, wear protection and overall performance. Mobil 1 FS x2 5W-40 keeps your engine running like new and protects for 10,000 miles*
FS:
Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil

Mobil 1™ FS 5W-40 European Car Formula is an advanced full synthetic motor oil engineered for the latest gasoline and diesel (without DPFs) engine technology delivering excellent all-around performance. It provides exceptional cleaning power, wear protection and overall performance. Mobil 1 FS 5W-40 keeps your engine running like new and protects for 10,000 miles*

*Protects for up to 10,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. To learn more about the Mobil 1 Limited Warranty, visit us at Mobil.US.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Yea man, we really get into the weeds on this subject. Most diesel oils are tagged Cx-xx, the Fx-xx are heavy service diesel oils. Generally the higher numbers supercede and include the lower.
the list-
API Engine Oil Lubricant Specifications ...
That's American Petroleum Institute.
Yes I read that link, I know I was getting into the weeds on this.
I guess back to my main question so we don't go off topic.

There Euro Formula says ok to use in pre DPF diesels, so I'm assuming it's ok to run.
Lots of people run the M1 TDT I know, but if we're talking specs, VW's are not to be found on that bottle.

Damn I wish they just had T6 in stock.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
That oil is not diesel rated, may not handle the soot well. I'm sure you'll find something suitable.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
But you say it's ok to use in pre DPF diesels. Don't know what that means, perhaps it just fine for your '03 ALH motor. Not a real picky engine..

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
That oil is not diesel rated, may not handle the soot well. I'm sure you'll find something suitable.

But you say it's ok to use in pre DPF diesels. Don't know what that means, perhaps it just fine for your '03 ALH motor. Not a real picky engine..
Diesel Particulate Filter. Emissions stuff that happened with the later years cars and trucks. Not sure if the PD got a DPF or not.

I'm not saying it's ok to use, Mobil 1 claims it's ok (see post #14 above, quotes and links from Mobil 1)

There are not many options around here at this point. The shelves are dry, esp. for diesel "rated" oil. If I can find some TDT I will get it. But I have not been able to even find that local.

Sword_of_the_Spirit

Veteran Member
TDI
All Makes
Let’s not get into the weeds. We should state facts instead of miss-interpreting… “F“ rates are for economy emphasis. It has nothing to do with heavy duty or not. These are quite narrow in specification (everything therein) and weights. Very light oils at that.

“C“ ratings are obvious and have differing weights, etc.

williambill

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Not sure if you have Tractor Supply Co stores near you, but they carry Mobil 1 Delvac ESP synthetic 5w-40 in both gallon and 2.5 gallon jugs. EXCELLENT OIL!!! The 2.5 gallon at my store is $52 which works out to $20.80 a gallon.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Not sure if you have Tractor Supply Co stores near you, but they carry Mobil 1 Delvac ESP synthetic 5w-40 in both gallon and 2.5 gallon jugs. EXCELLENT OIL!!! The 2.5 gallon at my store is $52 which works out to $20.80 a gallon.
I actually do have one of them nearby and yeah, looks like $52 for 2.5 gal.
I think I'm going to pay them a visit...edit: looks like none carried in the stores around me

Napa has gallons on sale right now for $21 and they have them in stock. Looks promising

Last edited:

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
There is a Castrol full-synthetic 5w40 at Autozone that has both the VW 505.00 AND a Cx rating (along with SN); I'd choose that instead. Indeed, likely to end up doing it for the same reason. My first choice? No, but when neither T6 or TDT can be had, well.....

The "C" rating is IMHO important and since I can still get something that is and meets viscosity and VW specs that's what I'm going to choose.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Thanks for all the replies guys, went ahead with the Delvac ESP. can't complain, $42 for 2 gal. Pretty good right now

Sword_of_the_Spirit

Veteran Member
TDI
All Makes
Good to hear. Get it or the other Delvac offerings when they go on rebate in the next few months. If someone doesn’t need oil now, I wouldn’t shop until a rebate comes up or they absolute need it.

For anyone else that sees the “F” Spec diesel oil, it is NOT backwards compatible with ANY “C” Spec oil. Verify all that’s in this thread instead of taking words as gospel.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
But it says it’s good for A3/B4’s and even the B3!

All kidding aside, I’m having the same issue, although I found LiquiMoly 5w-40 locally, so I’m good, it’s just expensive. I have seen the European Car 5w-40 locally as well but it only has a CF rating, in addition to the SM/SN.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
But it says it’s good for A3/B4’s and even the B3!

All kidding aside, I’m having the same issue, although I found LiquiMoly 5w-40 locally, so I’m good, it’s just expensive. I have seen the European Car 5w-40 locally as well but it only has a CF rating, in addition to the SM/SN.
They had the LiquiMoly next to the ESP when I went to go pick it up. ESP was a much better deal and will be a good alternative.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I'm bad, and I'm sure someone's gonna flame me, but I just use whatever I can get. I've even recently (in the ALH, I think) done an oil change with multiple oils. Like a little Mobil here, a little Delo there (all 5W40 diesel synthetic, of course). I've done the same in the JSW, but that has the same emission system both ALHs have.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
I'm bad, and I'm sure someone's gonna flame me, but I just use whatever I can get. I've even recently (in the ALH, I think) done an oil change with multiple oils. Like a little Mobil here, a little Delo there (all 5W40 diesel synthetic, of course). I've done the same in the JSW, but that has the same emission system both ALHs have.
Nope, not me... :) BEW gets some zinc additive tho.
cheers,
Douglas

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
If it has a "C" rating (CF is fine) and is 5w40 it is almost-certainly fine for the ALH engines. If it has the 505.00 rating along with a "C" rating then per VW it IS acceptable. For the PDs and beyond it gets more-complicated due to cam issues. I have my preference (T6) although I've run TDT before without incident. At present neither is available around here and the ALH in my driveway is coming up on being due in the next month or so thus it'll be what I can get when I need it.