Next line of VW R cars could be diesel and AWD

BarnyardsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf w/DSG, Malone Stage 2 (all emissions intact), HID's, Sunroof, Dynaudio, NAV
This has made my day. All wheel drive wagon maybe a possiblity........ I can only dream. thanks for the post!

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
Must not get hope up that VW NA will actually let these enter the marketplace.

Atebitz

TDI
2003 Golf GL
Jettafock, you beat me to the punch! I was so excited to post this article!:p

Let me just say, sign me up for an oil burning R. I have been seriously considering the upcoming R20, but I will likely wait around for a diesel R if it truly comes to fruition.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
bhtooefr@bhtooefr-server:~$ echo $STANDARD_DIESEL_CAR_AVAILABILITY_STATEMENT
Believe it when I see it on a dealer lot.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Or get (insert least hated domestic brand here)'s full-size pickup with a diesel, and get 4WD instead of AWD.

That's fun, too.

Or, swap something into something.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
It won't happen. Remember the original concept of the "Sportwagen" was AWD and VR6. The AWD never came and even the 2.0T didn't last long. Everything that made it sporty got cut.

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!
So the question is how much of this is smoke and mirrors and will it include a diesel engine as an available option? "The Golf R is earmarked for US showrooms early next year and already we have seen R-branded performance parts finding their way into VW core products".

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
I've been wanting a diesel AWD Golf for decades. I know a pretty high up guy in VW who told me last year it will never happen because the market is too limited and they could never make money crashing it for the feds, stocking parts, etc.... With a diesel it would be over 35k, serious money. Who know, there are rumors of a diesel EVO too.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
RabbitGTI: Buy an R32 shell, get a Euro 6-speed 4Motion TDI trans, drop an ALH or BEW in. Problem solved.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Probably quite a bit less, if you're mechanically inclined, than a brand new Golf R TDI would.

And, it'd be even cheaper if you didn't mind losing the space of the Golf, and did it to an Audi TT 1.8T quattro that blew its engine (TT shells are more common than R32s.)

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Probably quite a bit less, if you're mechanically inclined, than a brand new Golf R TDI would.

And, it'd be even cheaper if you didn't mind losing the space of the Golf, and did it to an Audi TT 1.8T quattro that blew its engine (TT shells are more common than R32s.)
Hmmmm, I am extremely mechanically inclined, but now lack garage space for a longterm project. Gotta do some research on this however. :) Thanks.

JungleDeath

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf_11 JSW
WAY cheaper. I've looked.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Have to see it to beleave it myself. That and they need to raise the height of the cars some to actually put to use. I hate to be the nay sayer by my mothers 4motion Passat doesn't do as well as my raised MKIV Golf does as it is so low. Father has the same issue with his FWD sportwagon. The front bumper is cracked up from hitting snow. To me it would make more sense to raise up and then make the underbody smoother which would save the fuel MPG lost from raising up.

Turbodude1

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf 2dr. RCII, sprint 520s, shine susp
The AWD diesel is a great idea in theory, but expensive.

A snow tires a lift and a peloquin is the poor mans way to winter traction.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
The AWD diesel is a great idea in theory, but expensive.

A snow tires a lift and a peloquin is the poor mans way to winter traction.
I've got a Rabbit GTI with a Quaife and it makes a huge difference coming off corners in the dry and the rain. In the snow and ice racing it's a few seconds quicker than a similar car without a LSD on a 90 second course. The AWD cars, mostly Subies and Audis are another 5 to 10 seconds faster, so all the wheels pulling does help.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan

How about a blowed up 1.8T Quattro A4 for a donor?

bhtooefr

TDI
None
How about a blowed up 1.8T Quattro A4 for a donor?
The Audi A4 is a completely different architecture, but that can be done, too.

The trick is getting all of the brackets necessary, I want to say you need a different oilpan, wiring will be unique to that car, etc., etc.

(Well, unless you use a B5.5 BHW Passat as your engine donor... then it'll drop right in.)

The reason I suggested the TT is because electrically and mechanically, it is a Golf.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
So the question is how much of this is smoke and mirrors and will it include a diesel engine as an available option? ...
Ans: All of it, and none of it.

VW is very good at showing then producing fun cars, but refusing to load any of them on any boat. Or, for the very few that they do, charging so much money that it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy for the mucky-mucks that claim the market is too limited. For example, the R32 that was half again more money than a well appointed Golf, and nearly double the base model. Sheesh.

I don't like to be a nay-sayer, but the history of VW and their product offerings in this market are such that being optimistic for such as the article says is a flipping waste of time.