Newly acquired 97 Passat TDI - Vag-Com OBDII may not have power or a ground?

SRHeer

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf - 2001 Beetle
With check eng light on, I went to check and clear codes with Blue Driver OBDII diagnostic tool.
Its blue light didn't light up to indicate communication with ECM - I then hardwired my Dell with Vag-Com program from
its 9 pin serial port to OBDII test port but it did not run and says problem with interface or that it is not plugged in so -
does that mean I am missing power and or not getting a good ground to the OBDII test port? I don't think there
is a fuse or other connection between ECM and test port is there?

SRHeer

Veteran Member
TDI
I did find 10 amp fuse #22 missing - replaced with new fuse and BlueDriver tool now operates but could not check IP timing
With Dell computer I get message saying
Interface Not Ready
Possible Reasons:
Incorrect COM Port selected
Interface not plugged in
K-Line Stuck

Last edited:

krook

Veteran Member
TDI
A4 B5 AWX, A4 B5 AFN
Have you tried unplugging your radio?

For easily checking IP timing (with graphing I mean) I think you need the VAG-COM cable (or a cheap replica from eBay, the blue one will do fine for your 97 Passat) as well as VAG-COM, not the BlueDriver thing. Or you can try to go to basic settings channel 000 and see the numbers yourself, but I don't know which numbers you need to look at (one is for fuel temp, the other is for SOI) and graph them out manually to see if they're right.

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Are you using a bona fide VCDS cable?

Early versions of the B4 passat had a BK suffix ecu that were not OBDII compliant. Later GQ ecus would do OBD II. Do you know the ECU suffix? It's under the raid tray.

SRHeer

Veteran Member
TDI
This 97 Passat was made in 10/96 and may have been made in Germany since it has the Wolfsburg emblem - VIN is WVWGG83A4VB005677 with the TDI emblem in red ( I was told the red TDI meant it came factory with more of a performance turbo rather than normal stock turbo - is that correct?)
I need to get the radio code to be able to use it but it does come on with the word safe or save - I am thinking my problem may be the OBDII cable from Dell to test port because I have tested other 97 Passats with my Dell/VagCom program with no problem but the cable I used previously is packed away somewhere - I hope I can find it or order a new viable one! Any suggestions for getting proper cable? We just moved from Texas to Kansas so who knows where it resides! Eventually Ill run across it but want to do a timing belt replacement sooner than later

Last edited:

SRHeer

Veteran Member
TDI
0 281 001 579/580 Bosch made in Germany 16.10.96

028 906 021 FA

F comes before G so does this mean non OBDII?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
The FA ECU came with the 97 Passats, and came with either a socketed (easily "chippable") mainboard or non-socketed (harder). Both versions would be OBDII compliant with a genuine ross-tech cable. Do you have any other OBDII adapter you can try? Do you still have the Jetta from your signature? It should also be OBDII in addition to VCDS compatible.

Thread on FA ECU's

Also, you haven't answered if the cable is Genuine - the reason for the ask is that the timing function in VCDS rarely works with off-brand cables.

SRHeer

Veteran Member
TDI
thanks - I doubt it is Genuine - I ordered it off of Amazon paying $11 so I suspect it is not - great idea of 'stare and compare' but I have sold the 98 Jetta and this is a different (new) to me 97 Passat. I need to order a genuine cable - do you have any that you recommend? I can also try something that goes from other than the serial 9 pin computer port to OBDII port - have a usb and 15 pin blue out connection [and 25 pin pink/red out which I think is for a monitor connection]

Last edited: