Newbies and Vets: Tips for better fuel economy!

ryansar

TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Looking to up my fuel economy and power. Just got a 2005.5 Jetta TDi. I honestly don't know much about car engines and brands. I have been looking at upgrading the turbocharger and putting in a cold air filter. Can you guys make any recommendations for me? I'm getting about 525 miles per tank. Wanna see if I can join that 600 club ;)

Chive on!

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
FOR SALE, 2002 Jetta GLS, 5 speed
I'm only getting roughly 30 mpg and it's driving me crazy . I’ve spent $2400.00 to try to improve my engine . Still 30 mpg.
what have you done. what tires you running. speed. what gauge are you using for monitoring. it might not be the engine. i could do a lot with 2400.00.

FJR1300

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE 6 Spd Manual
A few days ago I came across a chart of all the brands and their relative cetane numbers for Amoco, Shell, Conoco, Mobil etc.,etc., and now I can find it when I put the word cetane into the search area….can anyone help me out and direct me to that information? Thanks

CourierGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf(Summer) 2003 Golf(Winter)
what do you guys think of disabling the daytime running lights to conserve fuel? obviously the safety factor of having them on is higher, but will it gain me any fuel?

thanks.
Headlight bulbs - 55wattsx2 is 110watts. P=VI. P/V=I. 110watts is almost 7.85amps@14volts. 7.85 amps is 5.6% of your alternator's "load" on a 140amp alternator. Engine runs the alternator. It's a drag.

Heated seats and mirrors also kill mileage.. add the rear window defogger in winter to the heated seats/mirrors... ouch. :) I don't know the wattages of the seats/mirrors/defogger, but you can add them up and see what I mean.

First thing I always do acquiring a new car, I'm on my 16th, is kill the DRLs.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
Never changed a "thing" at my car. Still get between 55 and over 60 MPG here in BC with DRL's and my Dog most times in the car!

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
....those are very impressive numbers (55-60 MPG and 341,000+ kilometers)

That's about 210,000+ miles. Are those fuel numbers based on Imperial gallons.

Always wanted to visit Canada.

....altho' I left Navy active duty over orders to Elmendorf AFB...........

Holidays best, ez

CourierGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf(Summer) 2003 Golf(Winter)
....those are very impressive numbers (55-60 MPG and 341,000+ kilometers)

That's about 210,000+ miles. Are those fuel numbers based on Imperial gallons.

Always wanted to visit Canada.

....altho' I left Navy active duty over orders to Elmendorf AFB...........

Holidays best, ez
My jetta's gonna roll 500,000km by end of Dec.. Still gets those high 50s mpg :)

tedd

TDI
polo 1.4tdi-pd (AMF engine, 2001 SE spec)
Thanks. I'll start that right off.
I average 53 mpg... and did both before and after install of the .681 fifth gear.
I'll be on a long drive back east in a few weeks and will have a good opportunity to test the hiway mpg.

any update on the new fifth gear pal?

tedd

TDI
halfway through testing new winter equipment installation to decrease demisting time/startup time:

from tesco £1 section.

currently testing shutting off vents to outside during the nighttime by selecting "air recirculate" feature seconds before switch off.

Last edited:

mrbrefast

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4V, the MFALCON - SOLD
I have a '96 B4 Passat, very lightly modded, and if it doesn't return high 50's or low 60's something is wrong. Fuel log here to view if you wish.
I clicked on your very old link and see a slew of entries "with wheel skirts" as well as "fender skirts" - do you happen to have photos and a source for these? The winter wheels I run have bottle cap style hubcaps which keep most of the air away from the wheel wells...

Tonight I will clean the snow screen, MAF, and post pictures of the grill for my snorkel (a metal speaker grill, to keep mice and rodents out of the warm air box in the chilly months) to see if people think any of those are restrictive enough to be yielding ~38 mpg average for many moons, admittedly with a pile of city driving... in my unicorn/96 Passat B4V.

TDIClimb

TDI
'04 Jetta TDI
Newbie here! I'm getting 42 mpg hwy with my '04. I recently went from stock 15" steelies to 18" Miro's and was terrified it would kill the mpg:eek: didn't change? Anyway, I'm ready for new struts, shocks, springs, exhaust, nozzles, intake cleaning, and a tune. I have found great info and advice here, except info on nozzles for a PD. Anyone have experience they can pass along regarding nozzles for a PD? I would like to climb towards 50+mpg hwy....

'04 Jetta TDI - AT
118k - stock
225/40r18 psi set to manufacture specs

Thanks all!!

fossill

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
15 inch wheels = better fuel economy. I wouldnt go any bigger than 16 inch.
Malone stage 1 Tune with dynamic egr since your in California. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:

minis2003

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 beetle w/DSG, 2015 Jetta TDI w/DSG
If you are in the Hampton Roads area that is all you will find do here:(

You can get B20 at on station but cannot remember the name but it will be a drive if you are at Norfolk

94cobra2615

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Black Wagon
I tried for the 800 mile tank and chickened out at 778 miles using 15.11 gallons--51.49 MPG my personal best. I probably would've made it but I didn't want to have to prime the fuel system if I ran out.

This was mixed highway and city driving.....probably 70% highway and 30% city stop and go traffic.

99.5 jetta alh 5 speed
Only mod is hybrid thermostat
18" wheels aired to 40 psi

Last edited:

tedd

TDI
I tried for the 800 mile tank and chickened out at 778 miles using 15.11 gallons--51.49 MPG my personal best. I probably would've made it but I didn't want to have to prime the fuel system if I ran out.

This was mixed highway and city driving.....probably 70% highway and 30% city stop and go traffic.

99.5 jetta alh 5 speed
Only mod is hybrid thermostat
18" wheels aired to 40 psi

if you go back a page someone says 15" is the optimum wheel size for economy, see if switching to 15" makes any difference.

tedd

TDI
halfway through testing new winter equipment installation to decrease demisting time/startup time:

from tesco £1 section.

currently testing shutting off vents to outside during the nighttime by selecting "air recirculate" feature seconds before switch off.

This works a treat!
closing air intakes using "recirculate function" button before you switch off works.
place the dehumidifier in the back of the car. note: if you think your dehumidifier is not working because there is no "water" in the bottom, be patient. It is not water it is liquefied crystals, the crystals change slow even though they draw water into them, slow, slow, then suddenly at the end of winter you will see liquid appear in the bottom of the unit.
This works to stop misting! lovely!
well done tedd you are a genius!

backyardmechanic

TDI
02 golf
my golf only give me 39 average

I have an 2002 golf automatic it only gives me 39 miles per gallon on the highway straight driving from tank to tank.
I had an 02 jetta 5spd and it would give 52 on the highway and 39 in the average.
Q. can it be the automatic trans it only has 80,000 miles on it.

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
I have an 2002 golf automatic it only gives me 39 miles per gallon on the highway straight driving from tank to tank.
I had an 02 jetta 5spd and it would give 52 on the highway and 39 in the average.
Q. can it be the automatic trans it only has 80,000 miles on it.
Yes, it's the automatic.

2rob

TDI
2005 Passat wagon
mileage

I also have an 05 Passat wagon. Most of my driving is above 6,000' so less o2, less fuel, less power, better mileage. Was in Portland last month and mileage dropped into the 30's on the highway. Is that what you get with your 05 ? I do the driving techniques. Tried a cheap chip and got no improvement either 0-60 mph or mileage.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Rob

D.Eightch

TDI
11 Jetta Wagen TDi
This is awesome, so glad I found the site.

My wife has had her 02 jetta for a little under 10 years and I've always been blown away by the mileage it's gotten. Have had a few tanks over 50 and she's always dissapointing when they are under :)

I got rid of my pickup this week and traded it in for an 11 Jetta sportwagen. Look forward to learning as much as I can from these forums. I told my wife we are going to have to start having fuel wars.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Updated the first post with some new cetane numbers I've received.
-BB

1998TDIMonster

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI 185k
After a trip from Dallas, Texas to Little Rock, Arkansas and back, I was happy to get my first 600+mi. tank in my 98 jetta ahu by using some of the methods in this sticky (37psi tires, 85% highway driving, no A/C, Deleted day time running lights, drove around 68mph[girlfriend did not like the slow driving], timed stoplights, and I TRIED to keep out of it with the right foot). :p Light came on at 640mi. and calculated 45.7 mpg with a dirty fuel filter and hammer mod to max acceptable fueling with tune and stage 2 cam!

Still working hard for my first 50MPG tank! I feel if i wasn't fully loaded with passengers and luggage, I could've easily gotten 700mi. out of this tank! Thanks to all who contributed.

and p.s.
Has anyone found the way to time those dang stop signs? :mad: It seems like no matter how far back i start slowing, they are always red when i get to them. :D