Newbie wanting wheels and tires

BobM1

TDI
06 Beetle automatic
We just brought our '06 TDI Beetle home. The old wheels are all oxidized and curb rashed and the tires aren't much better. I'[m sure this has been brought up many times before, but a search on tires just gets me arguments about diameter. I am thinking about staying stock 16's with maybe a little wider footprint. We are old geezers who drive long distance. So comfort for my raggedy old ass is first! :)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
There are a lot of wheels available for your car, you can go anywhere from 15" to 18" in size with OE wheels. 16s are a good compromise, with 205/55-16s tires (the correct size). Look in Facebook marketplace or on Craigslist: 5x100 is the bolt pattern, offset around 38.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
I got a set of 16" beetle rims in good shape. You're too far from SE PA though, shipping would be prohibitive. They're out there. Like IBW, I'm a fan of the 16"s.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
you can actually fit 14s on the front but the rear needs 15s at the least

they came with 16s, but the taller sidewall of 15s rides a little cushier

OE wheels are the way to go, I always hate putting aftermarket wheels on customer cars
because they always without fail come back because the car shakes and it rides horrible and it shakes and it didn't shake before you put these on can't you balance them again?
If you've got an abundance of junkyards around you can even grab four spares, they'll have nice brand new 20 year old michelins on them and usually they've got perfect paint on them still

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
(Please note, the comments below are based on the assumption the '06 NB still uses the 5x100 bolt pattern)

There's LOTS of opinions about wheels on the internet, so be warned :)

For me 17" OEM wheels were the best balance ... again for me.

Most of the OEM (VW/Audi) 5x100 wheels are going to be narrow. 7.5 is on the wide side of things for an MKIV OEM.

Here's a few used sets of 16" that I think could allow the taller side wall and give a little style (my internet opinion).

Are there smaller wheels available? Yes
Are there lighter wheels available? Yes
Are there cheaper wheels available? Yes
Are there better looking wheels available? Yes, but that's your decision :)

Good luck

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
For the MkIV I've found both the 15" and 16" work well, and switched back and forth for years using both all season and winter tires. Now that the Golf is getting fewer miles, the 16's have stayed on, but that's largely because I prefer the actual wheel style (Montreal II).

Here's a set of Beetle Turbo S 17' wheels in amazing condition for $200 (which is a good price for those wheels and condition). Looks like they are about 2? hrs away from you.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
'91 Jetta, '91 GTI, '04 Touareg
Hello and congrats on your tdi!

My advice would be to up the size to 17's (the turbo beetle wheels someone posted above are a great bargain). Mainly because tires are more accessible at your local shop with a wider variety to choose from different manufacturers. The tires may cost $10-15 more vs. a 16 inch wheels, however you can make up the difference by shopping smart for a set of wheels.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
In a low power car like the TDI wheel weight matters, and I bet those turbo wheels are heavy. Most OE VW wheels are. Tire selection is pretty limited for 15s anymore: if it weren't for the Prius taking the same size 15" tire as our TDIs we might not have much of anything. But there are lots and lots of 16s in the correct size available.

I'm still a fan of 15s on MKIV cars. Just put new 215/60-15s on the Kosei K1s for my Wagon.

Wheels weigh 13 lbs, tires are about 20. OE 17s with tires (larger diameter tires are heavier) may weigh over 50 lbs. a corner. That's unsprung weight that will negatively affect acceleration, steering, ride, braking, and FE.

I realize I'm a bit obsessed when it comes to wheel/tire weight, but it does matter.

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
rollin in my two point oh, panoramic back so my hair can blow
What Indigo said.

Given your age, and want a cush ride. I would say get something 15 or 16" and not cheap take offs from a heavy SUV. That will make everything worse like he said.

I haven't found tire selection to be a problem with 15's and 16's yet* but then again I am not picky. If you are into improving handling may be worth spending more for something very light weight like Indigo has. If not, maybe not.

I also just got my VW. Also am not young. Also want a cush ride. Also got my car with curb rashed up (oe 17s) wheels and was thinking to upgrade to 16's. But meh I think I'm just going to leave them. 17's don't ride so bad.

Last edited:

BobM1

TDI
06 Beetle automatic
I've gotta take pics of these rashed up wheels. We just did a 2241 mile trip from west central Indiana to Florida (Space center to St. Cloud (Orlando-ish). Left 4 PM Wednesday afternoon and made it back on Sunday at 6:07 PM. Ran 80+ on interstate and whatever everyone else was running on the back roads (BTW: contrary to the old Florida I grew to know and love, people NOW drive like a bat outta......) We got 40.? mpg for the whole trip.(Each tank was a little over 40 but I didn't crunch the exact numbers for the whole trip yet.) The highest price was when we filled up in Greencastle, In on the way out and $2.74 down south. I don't have a photo hosting site right now, so I guess I won't show pics.

Last edited:

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
Dash calc mpg? That is the only way I've done it so far.. not sure how accurate it is.

Like my car *thinks* it went 500 miles.. but did it really?

Last edited:

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
The car is likely a lot more accurate in reporting distance traveled as it can be measured by the odometer, which is generally spot-on. Manufacturers and regulators have a decent history on this, compared to other parameters which require more nuanced sensors/calculations, and which aren't a focus of enforcement. Most in-dash calculators for FE are optimistic, but yours can be adjsuted via VCDS to improve accuracy.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
We just brought our '06 TDI Beetle home. The old wheels are all oxidized and curb rashed and the tires aren't much better. I'[m sure this has been brought up many times before, but a search on tires just gets me arguments about diameter. I am thinking about staying stock 16's with maybe a little wider footprint. We are old geezers who drive long distance. So comfort for my raggedy old ass is first! :)
If you want comfort. Run 15" rims.

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
Agree, If you have 288mm rotors instead of the 300+ 15's would be even better.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Beetles came with 16s, I'd stick with those. I'm honestly surprised you're having trouble finding wheels. Keep looking on facebook marketplace and craigslist. Any 16" 5x100 VW wheel will probably fit. I've found them for short money on CL. Last set I bought for my Wagon were $50 for 4 wheels. But that was a screaming bargain. $150 -200/set is more common.

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
Lord knows the roads are not going to get maintained better in our future. Downgraded an inch from OE 17 over 312mm and now sidewall to circumference ratio is much better. Still would go down to 205/75/15 or even a 27x14 if it would work. Was able get 15 to clear with a stack of spacers but too much poke out.

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
With 312mm rotors 16's is as small as you can go.

You can also bump up your tire circumference if you want. Some guys are running 25.5" 26" or even 27" with a lift. You will lose a little off the line response but the downsides don't seem to be that significant. Those that do go larger seem to be fine with it.