NEWBIE performance guidance

Hoffa235

TDI
2003 TDI Golf
Hello everyone. Im located in california but I am in a area where smog is not a issue. I commute a few hundred miles twice each week so reliability and economy is valuable to me. However so is having a fun vehicle to drive that looks good. I have a 2003 4 door MKIV Golf and i am looking to make it fun and quick while compromising minimal economy. Please post suggestions to this thread. I've heard controversy over turbos, injectors, tunes, exhaust etc. Help me get my build list please I recently bought car and recently it had the clutch, oil pan, timing belt, and injection pump done.

Hoffa235

TDI
2003 TDI Golf
all I know is its a LUK German Clutch, im waiting for service records to get more specific details on it.

FL/COtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
To the best of my knowledge the best bang for the buck is a tune. Getting new nozzles, injectors, and a tune might be all you need. Thats about 1000 to 1500. Trouble is that combo will slip a stock clutch. Do you like to read?

Hoffa235

TDI
2003 TDI Golf
Thank for the update does anyone know what a luk German clutch is ? Is it stock? I did read som thread and heard both it would and wouldn't slup the stock clutch. So I posted again to clarify. Yea reading is okay..

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
The alh tdi came with two different clutches stock. Both were dual mass flywheel setups.

Sachs manufactured unit tends to hold a little less torque than the luk manufactured one.

If you want real holding power youll need to upgrade to a single mass flywheel setup.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The OE LUK clutch kit that came on '99.5 cars could hold quite a bit of power. The replacement LUK kit isn't as strong. It might withstand a chip and nozzles, but it might not.

Hoffa235

TDI
2003 TDI Golf
gotcha. Thank you. It is a 5 speed manual trans with "look German Clutch"
Will exhaust buy me much in the way of economy or performance? and what size or type?

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
exhaust won't get you much power. It's only really *needed* if you also upgrade the turbo... unless your fueling a lot. Best to buy an EGT gauge to monitor them. Otherwise, you might melt something important.

It's pretty unlikely that your clutch will stand up to that power, but you could always try.

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jolf GLS TDI - Reflex Silver (purchased 2011) | Previously: 2001 Golf GL TDI - Indigo Blue (sold 2005)
I would start with just nozzles or just a tune and see what you think. Your clutch will hold with either of those and you can decide to add more mods later when you are ready to slip the clutch and upgrade it. No use tossing your new clutch just to get more power now. Good tunes from Malone or Rocketchip. 1019s sound like a good choice if you go nozzle route.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Stock clutch will not hold with nozzles and a tune, unless it's a weak tune. One or the other, yes. My vote would be tune first, see what you think. And talk to the tuner you choose when you get nozzles to see what they suggest. They're the ones who have to make them work.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Myturbodiesel has a good Wiki on the subject of basic mods for beginners. Linky

Here's one (very common) upgrade path:

ECU tuning via Q-loader, files sent back and forth over e-mail, very convenient, no down-time.

Next add injectors, free retune to match. Often a clutch is needed at this step also.

Then turbo upgrade and 3bar map sensor, free retune for the parts. A clutch will definitely be needed at this point.

Of course you must first make sure the timing belt is current, intake manifold cleaned out, vacuum lines new, etc. No use trying to hop up a broken car!

If your injectors have a lot of miles on them you could start there. A tune will get the best use out of any upgraded injectors/turbo, but some guys are happy with just a tune or injectors and stop there. But most of the time it's "what else can I do" once they get a taste.

I recommend calling and talking to the vendors you are considering, to get their ideas. Forum guys mean well and are eager to give advice, but in the end, they are not accountable to you and won't have to answer to you or provide support, if you have questions after you follow the advice. You can often judge the quality/promptness of service you will get after the sale, by how your initial inquiries are handled.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Stock clutch will not hold with nozzles and a tune, unless it's a weak tune. One or the other, yes. My vote would be tune first, see what you think. And talk to the tuner you choose when you get nozzles to see what they suggest. They're the ones who have to make them work.
It's too bad the later cars came with the crappy SACHS units.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Not crappy. Just not good when you add 50% power. I don't think you can fault a stock clutch for that. I just bought an '02 Golf for my son that has 268K on it and the original DMF and Sachs clutch. Can't be that bad.