Newbie looking for 2006-07 passat

Jon s

TDI
None
Ok guys,
This is the first time I ever blogged. (really) I dont know if anyone can help me. I am looking for a TDI wagon (pasat or jetta) and from the looks of your posts I want to stay clear of 2004/05.

I live in the Mid Atlantic (Philly) region and have had no luck finding a car for sale. Do you have a link on this website that would lead me to a reputable TDI dealer or FSBO site to find this type of vehicle. I am planning a move to Colorado and will be driving in the Rockies near Breckenridge/Frisco area. Any reccomendations on engine size and tranny type would be sincerely appreciated.

Pleae excuse me if these are not the right questions for your forum, let me know and I will fade away into the sunset.
Thank You for your expertise in advance
Jon S

Jump62

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GlS,2006 NB (Crew Chief),2009 JSW
Ok guys,
This is the first time I ever blogged. (really) I dont know if anyone can help me. I am looking for a TDI wagon (pasat or jetta) and from the looks of your posts I want to stay clear of 2004/05.

I live in the Mid Atlantic (Philly) region and have had no luck finding a car for sale. Do you have a link on this website that would lead me to a reputable TDI dealer or FSBO site to find this type of vehicle. I am planning a move to Colorado and will be driving in the Rockies near Breckenridge/Frisco area. Any reccomendations on engine size and tranny type would be sincerely appreciated.

Pleae excuse me if these are not the right questions for your forum, let me know and I will fade away into the sunset.
Thank You for your expertise in advance
Jon S
The reason you are not finding any TDI Passat sedans or wagons in the years you are looking for is because in North American we didn't get any. Looks like the 2012+ TDI Passat will not have a wagon brother in the USA. As for a TDI in the Rockies any TDI with any engine/trans combination will do well, the cars are natural hill climbers. I would suggest reading here a lot and looking at a Jetta Sportwagan as a best fit.
Jump62

Jon s

TDI
None
Jump 62
Thank you. I have that "deer in the head lights" look duh. Any other suggestions on years for the Jetta Sportwagon. As you can tell, cars are not my forte', however if you want to know anything about fly fising, I am in.
Thanks
Jon s

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
The only TDI wagons we got in the US are:

96-97ish passats(rare)
02-05 Jettas(more common but rare compared to sedans)
04-05 passats(also rare as most are sedans)
09+Jettas.(these seem somewhat plentiful right now)

Jump62

Veteran Member
TDI
Jump 62
Thank you. I have that "deer in the head lights" look duh. Any other suggestions on years for the Jetta Sportwagon. As you can tell, cars are not my forte', however if you want to know anything about fly fising, I am in.
Thanks
Jon s
My Dad and I share a 2009 JSW with the DSG transmission, we have put 63K miles on it since Feb09 with an overland trip to Vegas of 2500 miles one way. It is are go to car for long trips and with Thule crossbars and a hard box I have done 2 week trips using camping as a hotel. In 2011 there was a body style change and year to year some stuff was added or subtracted. This is a site that my help you http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q.htm with different years and cars.
I would suggest looking at the Mark V forum that will talk about the 09-10 years JSWs and the Mark VI forum for the newer ones.
I might suggest that TDI ownership isn't for the " cars are like blenders " , they do require more from the owner that say a Toyota and you will soon see that the dealership isn't your best friend. I would suggest going to a local " get to gather " and meet and see the cars.

Jump62

Jon s

TDI
None
Thanks youi for the link.
I think you hit the nail on the head. I have three Toyota Landcruisers, a 1995 and 2 2000's with a total of 660K. They are simple and reliable...Change the oil and go, but the gas mileage is killing me. 12 to 16 mpg and even less towing a boat. I average 32 K per year so I am trying to lighten my fuel load. on the reverse side the maintenance on the TDI's can be extensive.
Thanks for the heads up.
Are Volvo and Audi any different?

TDI_Dan

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW 6M MKVII, 2011 Golf TDI 6M (bought back)
There was a post a while ago where someone put together a search engine for used TDI's. for the life of me, I can't seem to find it right now. Buried in a few posts somewhere here.

Jon s

TDI
None
Thank You
Tight Lines

Give a man a fish, he eats for a day.
Teach a man to fish, he east for a lifetime!

Jump62

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks youi for the link.
I think you hit the nail on the head. I have three Toyota Landcruisers, a 1995 and 2 2000's with a total of 660K. They are simple and reliable...Change the oil and go, but the gas mileage is killing me. 12 to 16 mpg and even less towing a boat. I average 32 K per year so I am trying to lighten my fuel load. on the reverse side the maintenance on the TDI's can be extensive.
Thanks for the heads up.
Are Volvo and Audi any different?

TDIs are not " bad " for maintenance just unforgiving, use the correct parts and fluids, done on time and the miles will pile on. A general 10K service on my 3 cars is an oil filter change and oil and some topside and bottomside inspections ( $60 or so DIY ). 20K service has a fuel filter, cabin filter, lube some hinges and again inspections ( about $120 or so DIY). Bet your Landies by the book are more than just oil changes. Audis are ( shields up ) like VWs, parent company is owned by VW but are " different " in that they are a bit more up scale ( a lot really ) and more zoom-zoom in some models. Alas no Volvo Diesels in North America, take a look at the Volvo UK website to see what we don't get. I would at least look at a JSW and Chris at Langhorn VW is very good to Club TDI people. keep reading here.
Jump62

Last edited:

Jon s

TDI
None
Jump 62,
Thank you for the information. I will continue to read here take heed of the appropriate maintenence schedule. I am religious about care for my LC's but sincerely, I have been lucky. Other than tires, brakes and the normal wear and tear, I have had to replace one tranny (3K) and one radiator (600). The big problem is that they just INHALE fuel.
I will give Chris at Langhorn VW a call on Tuesday
Regards
Jon S.