Newb / rookie question. Which would be best? Non "fixed", partially "fixed" or both "fixes"

schwinn guy

TDI
2001 Golf GL 5 speed
I'm sure to get multiple opinions, but here it goes.
On a 2015, what would be most preferred? A non VW modified / emissions fixed vehicle, only the 1st phase done, or both phases complete?
As others have mentioned, there is almost too much information on this great site!
Thanks

DivineChaos

Veteran Member
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I'm sure to get multiple opinions, but here it goes.
On a 2015, what would be most preferred? A non VW modified / emissions fixed vehicle, only the 1st phase done, or both phases complete?
As others have mentioned, there is almost too much information on this great site!
Thanks
Non fixed any day of the week.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
(She) test drove her 2015 GSW (CRUA) prior to any emissions work, but didn't commit because the dealer had to complete Phase 1 prior to sale (as you will find with all 2015s being sold by dealers). Upon returning to the dealer, driving the same loop, under similar conditions, she said "it feels a little quicker in the low rpms, has more punch in 3rd and 4th, and seems to idle more smoothly at stops." So you can take that as a Phase 1 win (and an indication of how bad the Audi software engineers were). The dreaded Phase 1 fuel economy hit? Yeah, the first trip (mostly secondary roads though New England) saw 545 miles on 10.991 gal for 49.632 mpg.

I would say Phase 2a (software and NOx sensors) feels a bit more sluggish in 1st-3rd, but no notable FE penalty.

Phase 2b provides a new DPF, and extends the emissions warranty, which might be a good reason to look for a car with only Ph1 (and have Ph2 completed at a later date).

It would be interesting to see where you could find a 2015 with zero emissions work done- I guess only from original owners?

schwinn guy

TDI
2001 Golf GL 5 speed
What are the advantages of a non fixed model? Is there no DEF needed? What else?
Also, I was reading in another recent post about a purchased car only having phase one done, that there could be a cash incentive from VW on the table, as well as the added warranty once the work is done?

Last edited:

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
What are the advantages of a non fixed model? Is there no DEF needed? What else?
Also, I was reading in another recent post about the a purchased car only having phase one done, that there could be a cash incentive from VW on the table, as well as the added warranty once the work is done?
The advantages might be:

The VW service department may have spent less time with the car.
The owner might be able to extend the emissions warranty be delaying Phase 2 emissions work.
The owner may be able to use Phase2b to obtain a new DPF later in the vehicle's service life.
The owner can choose to avoid the aspects of Phase2a/b which they might dislike.
You'll have to do the research but I think all chances of settlement cash closed in 2018.