New wheels and suspension

v70rsik

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI..soon TDI
I know most of you wont like it..but I like to share.

I didnt notice and drop in fuel economy. With the 225/35ZR19 Falken 452 the rolling diameter is slightly larger but i noticed i can coast longer than i used to.

Fast DTM wheels
19x8.5 +45 front
19x9.5 +45 rear

(18" x 8" Aristo replicas in the first pic)

Vogtland 50mm springs on stock shocks

The ride is excellent. Firm but not harsh and response has increased dramatically. The car is much more fun to drive now.

Jason D

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Graphite Blue 5 speed
Those look really nice.

My only concern would be the offset causing the tire to stick out a little further and the possibility of rock chips.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Ahh sweet times! Love it!

v70rsik

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI..soon TDI
LNXGUY said:
They will ride great for about 5K miles, then they'll blow :)
not according to people on VWvortex. It seems as though they are far better then older generation.

Apperantly even the same valving as the Euro GTI which has a 1" lower ride height from the factory.

Im not worried at all. I'll let you know how it goes.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
v70rsik said:
not according to people on VWvortex....
VWVortex kid:

People like that have offspring like this:

Last edited:

tirider

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Rubber @ Wheel Interface

Why does the tire look set back from the outside edge of the wheel? It almost looks like the wheel is too wide for the tire size?? Not flaming here... trying to get edumicated.
Thanks!

Jason D

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Graphite Blue 5 speed
A 9.5" wheel is good for a 275 series tire so it is really stretching a 225 tire to fit.

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
Jason D said:
A 9.5" wheel is good for a 275 series tire so it is really stretching a 225 tire to fit.
Not to mention that Falkens run narrower then other brands even if the sidewall says it's a 225 ...aspect ratio of a sidewall.
An example is Good Year on the right and Falken 512 on the left. These are both 225/45-17 marked on the sidewalls but the Falkens are almost 3/4 of and inch narrower. He should have moved over to 235 on the fronts and 245 on the rear with Falken.

TwoTone

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta (sold)
tirider said:
Why does the tire look set back from the outside edge of the wheel? It almost looks like the wheel is too wide for the tire size?? Not flaming here... trying to get edumicated.
Thanks!
For some reason it's a popular look. God I feel old, can't remember what it's called.

Personally, looks as good as the 60's cars I used to see with extra long shackles to raise the rear.

Jason D

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Graphite Blue 5 speed
BrianCT said:
Not to mention that Falkens run narrower then other brands even if the sidewall says it's a 225
That's how the Nitto Drag Radials are too.

jpdeuce

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta Wagon
I'm very curious about the fuel economy hit. How careful do you track your mileage? You say you didn't see much hit but is that just an estimation, looking at the MFD, or pen and paper? Thanks man, just curious.

BTW - ride looks sweet. :D

v70rsik

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI..soon TDI
BrianCT said:
Not to mention that Falkens run narrower then other brands even if the sidewall says it's a 225 ...aspect ratio of a sidewall.
An example is Good Year on the right and Falken 512 on the left. These are both 225/45-17 marked on the sidewalls but the Falkens are almost 3/4 of and inch narrower. He should have moved over to 235 on the fronts and 245 on the rear with Falken.

Yes...the 512 are very anrrow but not the 452.

2254018 512 = 7.7" wide
2254018 452 = 8.1" wide

there is no rubbing at all.

For the VWvortex comment

TDI club members ;) :

SuperJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Looks good, but the skinny tire on the wide rims would bug me, it seems like it would be very easy to rash a rim on a curb too.

Maybe I'm old school but wider rubber looks good to me, and I'm only 25 years old.

v70rsik

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI..soon TDI
SuperJ said:
Looks good, but the skinny tire on the wide rims would bug me, it seems like it would be very easy to rash a rim on a curb too.

Maybe I'm old school but wider rubber looks good to me, and I'm only 25 years old.
I'm 28 and it looks fine to me! ;) Euro style.

I take alot of car when parking. Belive me. :cool:

blackout06

Veteran Member
Sicily cant wait to get back to Seattle WA
TDI
2006 jetta TDI US spec
i have H&R race stock struts 12 k knock on wood havent blown yet and i have some prety ****y roads to drive on... ps I HATE YOU i am so wishing i went 19's every day but no had to go conservitive and get 18's whats the weight on those wheels?? im looking for something light... the 18" audi S8's are heavy as cement...

Suns_PSD

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I bought the Oz Ultraleggaria's in flat black. They look great and weighed 19.5 #'s (about 8.86 Kgs).

As a bonus they are also Italiano!

If I knew how to properly post a pic I would.

copperz

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Suns_PSD said:
I bought the Oz Ultraleggaria's in flat black. They look great and weighed 19.5 #'s (about 8.86 Kgs).

As a bonus they are also Italiano!

If I knew how to properly post a pic I would.
open photobucket account and use it as a host for your pics. cuz i wanna see the set up.