New wheel bearing, same sound.

Pancake Slap

TDI
2005 5spd Jetta Wagon TDI
So I've been having a howling sound when turn left at speeds between 35-50mph.

I assumed the sound was a wheel bearing and went ahead and replaced it, but the sound has not went away or changed at all. I also rotated the tires, but still no change.

Is it possible that it's something else like a cv making the noise, or could cheap used tires be the cause?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Cheap used tires can do it. Try rotating them?

Pancake Slap

TDI
I bought new bearings for both sides. Since it only howls when turning left I replaced the front right first. I'll replace the front left tomorrow.

And Nero, I roted the tires front to back then left to right. No change in where or when the sound is coming from.

shappy120

TDI
05 golf TDI
I had the same issue and ended up replacing all the bearings, I started from with fronts. It did not fix the issue. The tried the rear and of course it was the wrong side so ended up doing all of them. Also check your torque, if you overtighten it can cause premature failure. I bought mine from autozone about 50k miles ago and they are still working great. It’s worth noting that when I had all the bearings off there was no visible signs that one was bad and they all seemed to spin the same.

Pancake Slap

TDI
I'm assuming you mean the axle nut. I'll re check those. Probably going to order new bearings for the rear as well if the front doesn't solve the problem. I thought it might be the tires since the noise started right when I got the used set, but rotating them didn't change the location of the sound.

Did it sound like the front was making the noise when it was your rear bearing?

shappy120

TDI
05 golf TDI
Yeah I thought for sure it was coming from the front, even had my brother hang out the window to try and listen and he thought it sounded like the front. Yes the axle nut. Mine made a noise when I first bought it but got significantly louder after I bought new tires. The rears are easy to do so if you already did the fronts, if it doesn’t fix the issue I would just do the both rears.

Pancake Slap

TDI
Yeah that's what it's sounding like to me. I might try to see if I can put a load on it to see if I can get the noise while in a straight line.

Pancake Slap

TDI
So I finally got to it this weekend. Went ahead and replaced the front, and checked the rear. There was no play but the abs ring seemed to be a little off as I could hear it rubbing on the sensor. Replaced the rear as well and no more sound! I do have a flashing brake light now, but that can be tomorrow's problem.

Pancake Slap

TDI
Checked the fluid. I'm suspecting the light has to do with the fact that I'm missing two sensors. (I bought new knuckles with the bearings already installed). I didn't realize but the old sensors were held in with hopes and dreams, so I'll be making a trip to Home Depot to get some new bolts to hold them in.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I've never seen a Mk4 ABS sensor that was anything less than "mated for life" in the steering knuckle from the moment it was installed. Surprised that yours are loose.

Pancake Slap

TDI
I've never seen a Mk4 ABS sensor that was anything less than "mated for life" in the steering knuckle from the moment it was installed. Surprised that yours are loose.
Mine were mated. Well, they still are. It looks like they were bolted at some point, but now I have new knuckles so.