New Twin USB Vag-Com, New error codes?

hallopt45

Veteran Member
I purchased the twin USB Vag-Com...

Wow this thing works great! I can now use that new laptop of mine to do car work. I have a problem that I am not able to figure out. I think it is because I have not used the Vag-Com alot because of my issues with serial ports, or lack there of.

I am getting a flashing glow plug signal. So I use the new Vag-Com to read the code.

16955 Brake Switch (F) Implausible Signal 35-00--

I ordered the new Bently Manual from Ross-Tech for $70.00. I consider that a steal, but I don't have it yet. Anyone out there know exactly what I should be checking. This would be a great help.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Check the search function link above. You'll find many threads containing instructions on how to replace/adjust the brake light switch (the cause of the flashing glow plug light, as indicated by the VAG-COM software).

Sc0

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Golf GL 5sp Candy White Tan cloth interior
I took my car to the dealer once for a flashing GPL and non-working rear brakelights and was told that the fuse was missing from the fusebox. ???

They went ahead and replaced the fuse and the brakelight switch since they were in their. I called around the most places wanted $7 for the brakelight switch. This was around 19k or so miles.

hallopt45

Veteran Member
Thanks, Besides the fuse does anyone know the exact location of the brake light switch? I have had no real trouble with the Two TDIs I own until now.

I have had not much practice with the Vag-Com either. This will change...

hallopt45

Veteran Member
I got it. The switch was bad. I took apart the switch and found a part that contacts together has worn down. It was worn down because it is plastic and cheap. I have been rear ended before by a car doing 60 mph, so this little no brake light thing is not a little thing to me.

Cheap, Cheap, Plastic part.

Picked one up for $10.00. If anyone else needs this be SURE TO PRESS AND HOLD THE BREAK PEDAL DOWN ALL THE WAY WHILE INSTALLING THE NEW (dirt cheap) SWITCH.

By the way what the #%^! does a glow plug signal have to do with a brake switch????

Oh, Ya it iz da duetch und mexicanos working together on this. Lets hope the French and Germans don't get together to build a car!

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
THE PROPER BRAKE SWITCH INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS ARE:

Brake light switch replacement:

You'll have to remove the lower panel to gain access. See this thread if you need instructions for that. Vehicles made through Feb 00 should have 'A', after that it should be 'B' or 'C'.

On vehicles made through Feb 00:
- remove old one by disconnecting the electrical connector and turn the switch 90 degrees counterclockwise
Install by
- Pull plunger on the switch out as far as it goes
- Push brake pedal down as far as you can
- Guide switch through mounting hole and turn it 90 degrees clockwise
- release brake pedal
- connect electrical connector

On vehicles made from March 00:
- remove old one by disconnecting and turn it 45 degrees counterclockwise
Install by
- Pull plunger on the switch out as far as it goes
- Hold the brake pedal UP and keep holding it up
- guide switch through hole and seat it
- turn it 45 degress clockwise. This also turns the plunger shoe into the correct orientation to make electrical contact in the switch and locks in the plunger adjustment.

So says the Bentley CD.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The glow plug light is blinked for non-emissions problems that are detected. One of these days, I'm going to put together a list.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Hallopt45,

Uwe is offering a credit of $99 for the twin-com cable. Hmmmm....

Are you using the USB in a 1.1 or 2.0 port? does it matter???

I wonder if the through-put of the USB makes any difference in the use of the software?

Lito

hallopt45

Veteran Member
Originally posted by tongsli:
Hallopt45,

Uwe is offering a credit of $99 for the twin-com cable. Hmmmm....

Are you using the USB in a 1.1 or 2.0 port? does it matter???

I wonder if the through-put of the USB makes any difference in the use of the software?

Lito
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Tongsli,

I am using a new dell laptop with WinXP Home.

I had to download the 2.12Beta software. It comes with Vag-Scope as freeware.

I am not really sure of your question about the 1.0 port or 2.0 port, but if you are speaking about the USB2 port on the laptop, yes, that is what I have.

While I am no pro at the use of Vag-Com, I will tell you that the software is no different. For once I am able to easily connect to my car without the use of a PCMCIA card (RS232). I do not have to set the clock speed of the driver, nor do I have to worry about all the adapters back to the card.

Vag-Com also has a new one called HEX-COM. I think this allows you to operate without the software licensing for each computer. It is a serial port conection though.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
By the way what the #%^! does a glow plug signal have to do with a brake switch????
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Nothing.

In the gas VWs, the glowplug lamp is labeled 'ECM' or some such and is used to indicate non-serious ('non-performance affecting') problems, as opposed to serious problems (stop driving the car now! problems) indicated by the Check Engine Light. Since VW did not want to add an additional lamp just for glow plug activation, they changed the lamp to be a squiggle and added gp activation to the list of things it displays.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Hallopt45,
Well you answered at least one question for me.

I am not really sure of your question about the 1.0 port or 2.0 port, but if you are speaking about the USB2 port on the laptop, yes, that is what I have.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Uwe doesn't specify USB 1.1 vs USB 2.0 but if it works on your laptop with USB 2.0 than great!

I'm still considering whether or not I should upgrade my cable. Maybe we can find out in the mean time if the 9-pin serial VS USB port translates into any performance difference in using Vag-com.

Lito

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, Candy White
Originally posted by Eric Maurier:
Supports the two K-Lines on the latest Audi models.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Oh..okay! Thanks.

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, Candy White
I have a question. Why is the USB cable called a "twin-usb" cable? What does the "twin" part denote? Just trying to keep up with the latest stuff.....