New to the Forum- Looking to improve my 16 A6 TDI MPG- Help

powderchaser

TDI
A6
I have a Golf SW and an A6 TDI (2016). I am a mileage freak like some of you but care less about my 0-60 time. Sure we all love Torgue but I would take MPG as my main priority. Will any of the modifications out there give me a significant boost in MPG? Kerma says it will provide me "Significant MPG increases" but would not commit to giving me amounts or a percent increase. Sure, driving habits matter. My A6 in Colorado averages 25-29 in the city and 33-39 on the highway. Occasionally 40-43 with a tailwind on I-80 at 75 MPH. Realistically the averages stay in the 32-34 range. I almost think a new A4 gasser would be close. Need some help in improving my MPG.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Driving habits matter the most is the correct statement. You can buy all kinds of things to improve mileage but none work as well as improving your driving techniques. Most of the tunes and other things will never pay for themselves if at all so no real savings there. There is a reason they don't give out economy numbers and just torque and power. Because driving will influence those numbers greatly. Economy from a tune is really a by product and not guaranteed at all. If they can do it in a stock car so can you to some extent.

But add whatever you want, if you want. It will just be a waste of money for the most part as far as mpg is concerned. Many of the same type of questions already asked and answered on this. Keep your car in excellent shape and "straighten up and fly right" (Nat King Cole).

There is no magic bullet out there or it would have been done already extensively.

powderchaser

TDI
A6
I thought about your response. My question is not related to driving habits but purely "Will a Tune such as Kerma make any difference in MPG"? Re think your answer. I definitely know how to eek in 50-60 MPG shifting at less than 2K RPM etc. So let me rephrase. If my driving habits are identical will a tune make much difference in MPG. Also, I don't care about 0-60 times or performance TBH but purely MPG>

holeintheice

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI SW
Just put new Pirellis vs. garbage winter tires my 14' Touareg had on it. Was lucky to get 30MPG on the dash. After new tires, dash averages about 36-38MPG. Stock. Eventually would like to tune just to delete once emissions is over and/or DPF gets clogged. Better fuel with a delete, period.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Do the tunes you are looking at "promise" any increases in fuel economy? If not I would think not. They can't tell how you will drive it so no guarantees. Most of the tunes I have seen are for more power and hope for no loss in fuel economy. Few report an increase but most are happy with the extra performance. There ae those who have deleted their emissions and report an increase as well.

holeintheice

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI SW
I am not tuning it to "tune" it. I'm looking at tuning it so it doesn't derate or throw a check engine light once deleted. Have had 2 deleted 3/4 tons. got 2-4 more MPG. I do not need more power. To old for that crap. I whomp on it once or twice a day to get DPF cooking. Otherwise grandpa drive.

powderchaser

TDI
A6
I feel the same way as holeintheice. My performance is fine other than the hesitation post Fix. It seems that there is no consensus on if the tune helps MPG for us easy pedal pushers.

holeintheice

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI SW
It's guaranteed to get better fuel mileage. I don't care what anyone says. It's common sense too, add 40 hp use more fuel add 150 hp tune burn even more fuel. When hammering on throttle. Stock injectors though only can flow so much cc. I would bet you could do a 50 hp tune and get better mpg IF one is normal on throttle.

holeintheice

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI SW
Yeah. If you do not abuse it. No engine is going to get better fuel mileage with dumping hot exhaust gas back into the cylinder. Exhaust Let alone all the damage it does. Clogging intake runners, Vanes on turbo get coked up. It's costly. People do say tunes get too hot just cause the EGR helps "cool" cylinder temp but it's not by much.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I am not tuning it to "tune" it. I'm looking at tuning it so it doesn't derate or throw a check engine light once deleted. Have had 2 deleted 3/4 tons. got 2-4 more MPG. I do not need more power. To old for that crap. I whomp on it once or twice a day to get DPF cooking. Otherwise grandpa drive.

But from my reading the OP isn't talking about deleting anything, just a tune. You can't get more power without more fuel, not appreciably anyway. If you get a tune with more power and use it, you will use more fuel.

holeintheice

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI SW
Not sure why you would not delete it. Engine is always choked on the exhaust. No point in tuning then. Always restricted then.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Because the cost is quite high for the tune and the parts needed to do the job correctly and completely. Nothing will be saved in fuel that would pay the cost of the tune and parts for a long time (for most people anyway). Especially if you can't do your own work. You may like the way it runs better or something but the cost savings in economy won't pay for it and may limit your sales choices if you so decide to sell it. Someone may turn you in or have issues later and it comes back on you. Or pay to put it back stock before selling it. Just depends on what you are going to do with it. More at stake here than just fuel economy.

holeintheice

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI SW
I agree with you 100 percent. Yeah, makes no sense. $3-800 for a tune then another $1k for exhaust. Plus labor to install. I would not even do it even though I would do the work. Unless I came into a little money!
I could see if you deleted at 0 miles, bought new and car lasted 500k miles. Break even! Haha.

PeterA1

TDI
16 A6 3.0TDI
I've noticed a 1 to 2mpg improvement using Diesel Kleen cetane boost, but I've only ran it through 2 tanks so I don't have a definite answer if it helps or not yet. The liqui moly super diesel additive has no effect on mileage for me personally, I just used it when it was -10F in the winter to prevent my tank from freezing. I also have 20 inch Michelin Pilot All Season 4's that have lowered my mileage from the 19 inch wore out OEM continental tires that the previous owner got from the dealer. I have a few months of driving until I hit 120k and my warranty runs out, then I'll get Malone stage 2 deletes on it. I am really tempted to get a bigger 2872 turbo because one guy on here with a q5 said he had no mileage decrease with the larger turbo. However it's gonna be $2k for the stage 2 and about $5-6k for the stage 3 after all supporting hardware and tune, and I'm not sure that is worth it to me on a higher mileage car with things starting to slowly break on it.