New to TDIClub? Introduce yourself here!

dan412

TDI
2011 JSW
Hi everybody,

I am Dan and I picked up a diesel 2011 sportwagen earlier this year. This is my first time back in diesel since our ALH TDI was totalled a while ago. I used to frequent TDIClub back then, so I thought I would come back for this one. I bought this wagen because the previous owner kept it during the VW buyback and so it never sat on the lot. So far I have replaced the back springs after a rusty one snapped, cleaned and lubricated the sunroof tracks, and cleaned out one of the back sunroof drains.

FelixHoenniker

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Wagon
Hello everyone, just picked up a 2004 Jetta Wagon with low kms, only 204 000 km! It's so fun to drive.
Looking forward to see how far/long I can keep her going and what kind of (reasonable) power I can get out of her.
My first car was a Rabbit and my dad had a 98 Diesel Jetta 5MT.... So much more torque now!
So much to learn!

rbhelle

TDI
VW Golf Variant MK5, 1.9tdi BLS engine with KBL 5-sp manual trans
Hello there, Norway calling. Picked up a mint condition (well almost) 2009 (european) VW Golf MK 5 Variant Bluemotion, 1,9tdi engine (BLS) with a 5sp manual gearbox (KBL). It has just rounded 136k miles. Car is black or very very dark blueish color. I also have a Audi Allroad A6 4F, 3.0tdi ASB engine (171kw) with 6HP19 auto tranny, just rounded 171k miles. Had to buy a VCDS unlimited cable since I do all my servicing and repairs in my garage. Found this forum to be very useful with lots of tips and tricks.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Welcome, everyone. Why not show off a picture of your new car?

Use the image icon in the post editor (right up ^ there 2.5cm) to add a link to your photo server (google images or other). Or, you can go to Media and open a free account to upload your car photos too. It'd be nice to see some of your new rides.

Willit

TDI
Passat
Hi everyone. I was looking for a car to drive to work to replace my 09 Volvo S60 which came to an untimely demise. I looked for something that was interesting to drive and had some soul. I ended up buying a 2015 Passat SEL TDi with around 90,000 miles on it. This is my first diesel so I'm still getting used to owning one. So far I'm very happy with my purchase.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,

KruegerDesigns

TDI
2011 Gold TDI
Hi all,

I'm new here, and new to forums. I live in East San Diego. Back in July I bought a silver 2011 Gold TDI for the mpg, looks, and I just love VW's.

The TDI was peppy and a blast to drive for a few months. Then one day it lost power, threw lights, timing was off and a few miles down the road it just died and wouldn't start back up. So I'm joining the forum to become familiar with you all and learn from others. I will be searching this forum to find out why she died (I suspect it's the dreaded high pressure fuel pump failure). See you in the posts.

Glad there's places like this on the internet!

mulepic

TDI
Audi Q7
Just joined and took delivery this week of a 2014 Audi Q7 TDI Prestige with air suspension. We got this car b/c we want to tow our 6k lbs. travel trailer. I did the first test yesterday from the valley up to Payson. It did just fine, 65mph the whole way and 60 on that last 10m hill into town. 9.6mpg on the way up and 11.5 round trip. But it was only 75 degrees not the 110 like July... so the jury is still out.

The air suspension is really the star of the show. We've gone through several tow vehicles: 7.2L Excursion, 6.2L H2, 2019 Expedition Platinum, and now the Q7. The Q7 is more stable than the Expedition (even w/ weight distr. hitch) and about as stable as the H2. The Q7 pulls stronger than the H2 and Excursion.

I used the torque app to monitor temperatures and everything behaved nicely. But I could not monitor the Tranny temp (even thought the app says it has it). The tranny temp and coolant temp were reading in lock-step so that's why I think it wasn't truly the tranny temp.

I'd post a picture but this forum requires me to host it somewhere...old school.

Anyway, there are a lot of Audi/VW forums. I'm trying to figure out the best one w/ the most info.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
Just joined and took delivery this week of a 2014 Audi Q7 TDI Prestige with air suspension. We got this car b/c we want to tow our 6k lbs. travel trailer. I did the first test yesterday from the valley up to Payson. It did just fine, 65mph the whole way and 60 on that last 10m hill into town. 9.6mpg on the way up and 11.5 round trip. But it was only 75 degrees not the 110 like July... so the jury is still out.

The air suspension is really the star of the show. We've gone through several tow vehicles: 7.2L Excursion, 6.2L H2, 2019 Expedition Platinum, and now the Q7. The Q7 is more stable than the Expedition (even w/ weight distr. hitch) and about as stable as the H2. The Q7 pulls stronger than the H2 and Excursion.

I used the torque app to monitor temperatures and everything behaved nicely. But I could not monitor the Tranny temp (even thought the app says it has it). The tranny temp and coolant temp were reading in lock-step so that's why I think it wasn't truly the tranny temp.

I'd post a picture but this forum requires me to host it somewhere...old school.

Anyway, there are a lot of Audi/VW forums. I'm trying to figure out the best one w/ the most info.

Yep,

I have the Touareg version with air springs. They are really good.

My T'reg has a dedicated transmission cooler because it has the factory OEM-installed tow package. My understanding is if your Q7 has OEM tow package, it has a dedicated trans cooler, and not just a heat exchanger at the same temperature as the radiator (fine for most states, but dangerous for AZ).

I recommend you check your VIN's build sheet and verify presence of a dedicated trans cooler. If you don't have it, you need to get one installed to tow in 115F here in the valley.

mulepic

TDI
Audi Q7
Yep,

I have the Touareg version with air springs. They are really good.

My T'reg has a dedicated transmission cooler because it has the factory OEM-installed tow package. My understanding is if your Q7 has OEM tow package, it has a dedicated trans cooler, and not just a heat exchanger at the same temperature as the radiator (fine for most states, but dangerous for AZ).

I recommend you check your VIN's build sheet and verify presence of a dedicated trans cooler. If you don't have it, you need to get one installed to tow in 115F here in the valley.

I assumed that it had the trailer hitch and I was able to install the brake controller easily that it came from that it has the OEM tow package.
and the vin look up result:

Engine: 3.0L TDI V6 DOHC -inc: common-rail injection and continuous camshaft adjustment
3.27 Axle Ratio
GVWR: 7,044 lbs
Transmission w/Oil Cooler
Full-Time All-Wheel
Engine Oil Cooler
190 Amp Alternator
110-Amp/Hr 520CCA Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
Trailer Wiring Harness
1279# Maximum Payload

Do you know of a way to monitor the transmission temperature?

cdlenfert

TDI
2003 VW Jetta
Hey TDI Club! I've been driving my boss's 03 Jetta TDI for about a year and love it. Just purchased it a couple months ago. My first VW and first diesel. It just developed a fuel pump leak (that I was forewarned about). It'll be my first repair attempt on the vehicle, but I've been blow away by the amount of information out there on these vehicles. I'm looking for some help (either with the job, or just VCDS VAG-COM) around Northern Colorado if anyone knows anyone. Once I stop the leak, I'd really like to replace/fix the super fogged headlights (this pic is shortly after waxing them they are usually much worse).

Mitchman

TDI
2015 TDI Golf Sportwagen
Hello, Sono Mitch! (that's Italian) BTW. Oh wait, that is on the Ferrari forum, please don't boot me.

ich heiße Mitch!

Proud owner of a 2015 VW Silk Blue TDI SEL. Just wanted to say Hello and be nice to the FNG. Made a few mod's for the family go-getter. ECS street shield, Neuspeed sway bars front and back. Never had to drop the subframe to install sway bars before that was fun. But worth it.

Howdy everybody!

TRMShane

TDI
2002 Jetta 1.9 TDI ALH
Have been doing a bunch of reading online and this site kept popping up in my searches so decided to join so I can learn more!

After doing some research bought a Jetta 1.9 TDI ALH because I log over 100 miles a day so wanted fuel economy, longevity and performance it offered.
Plan to do an EGR and cooler delete with a race pipe kit, larger injectors, 3” exhaust and retune car and go from there. Could not find a Manual so ended up with an but think I want to convert it to manual later also, will see.

Retired fire fighter and now build metal art, rat rods, race cars, hot rods and lots of stuff full time. Race off road, Baja 1000, navigate in the Terrible Herbst #19 trophy truck.

reince

TDI
2006 Beetle
Hi everybody,

I am Dan and I picked up a diesel 2011 sportwagen earlier this year. This is my first time back in diesel since our ALH TDI was totalled a while ago. I used to frequent TDIClub back then, so I thought I would come back for this one. I bought this wagen because the previous owner kept it during the VW buyback and so it never sat on the lot. So far I have replaced the back springs after a rusty one snapped, cleaned and lubricated the sunroof tracks, and cleaned out one of the back sunroof drains.
That looks like a totally neat one! Nice

Yetti

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Hi, my name is James. We picked up a 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI that we lovingly refer to as the Yetti. Had just over 70K when we got in late September. Been cleaning it up (it has led a hard life) and slowly making little repairs that it needs, which brought me here, so to speak. Looking forward to learning more about this little car.

StElmo

Veteran Member
TDI
'08 Ram 2500 6.7; '15 Golf SportWagen
I'm back after 10 years. So much has changed, I'm basically a noob/newb again. Glad to be back, ready to learn.

Originally joined while living in Washington State.

History:
TDi - 2002 A4 (2002-2004); 2005 A5 pkg2 (2005-2006); 2001 A4 (2005-2006); 2012 A6 (2012-2013).
VW gassers - 1989 Mk1 Cabriolet Clipper pkg; 2004 B3 (2004-2005) Wagen; 1993 T4 (2006-2007); 2001 T5 (2006-2007)
CDi - 2007 Sprinter (2007-2011)
Other diesels - 2001 F350 7.3L (2007-2009); 2011 2500HD Duramax (2012-2014);

Presently - 2008 Ram 2500 6.7L (2020-present); 2015 GSW (2022-present)

Kids, moves, divorce, deployments, marriage, retirement, etc... (basically life) resulted in the above vehicle resume.

Last edited:

cherrybomb

TDI
2003 Beetle TDI
Noobi here, (but still ancient age)decided to try some Diesel tech and bought a 2003 Beetle TDi with A/T. Hopefully we can get it going and have a learning experience. Been reading and absorbing info over last month regarding the IP,Bleeding fuel system, etc. This was a running car prior to the owner trying to replace the upper and lower IQ seals on the pump housing. It never ran afterwards and has been parked for 1+ years. Never got to Vagcom stage. We advised them to carefully mark the housing X 3 and carefully replace the seals, then thoroughly bleed the fuel system. Guess they failed somewhere. Thanks for wealth of knowledge in this forum.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
I assumed that it had the trailer hitch and I was able to install the brake controller easily that it came from that it has the OEM tow package.
and the vin look up result:

Engine: 3.0L TDI V6 DOHC -inc: common-rail injection and continuous camshaft adjustment
3.27 Axle Ratio
GVWR: 7,044 lbs
Transmission w/Oil Cooler
Full-Time All-Wheel
Engine Oil Cooler
190 Amp Alternator
110-Amp/Hr 520CCA Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
Trailer Wiring Harness
1279# Maximum Payload

Do you know of a way to monitor the transmission temperature?
The only way I know is through VCDS. Torque app doesn't work probably because the channel/query is proprietary, or maybe the data structure. Don't know really. But you can see it in VCDS. Selling my Touareg, so I'll have a VCDS for sale soon too. If you have the OEM tow package (it should show up on the build sheet), then you DO have the dedicated trans cooler, which your list seems to verify. This is really great. You will be continuously impressed with how surely it tows. Even backing up a trailer is easy. It's because of the very short rear overhang, wide stance, and towing ESP with automatic leveling. I towed using a Hensley Arrow Cub (gold standard setup for load leveling &sway prevention), but it hardly needed it. Oh, that'll be for sale too :p

Here's the lowdown on towing capability of these special beasts: https://www.vwpartsvortex.com/blog/can-touareg-tow

RGV2300

TDI
2002 Golf mk4 AGR
Hi everyone, i own a golf tdi 2002 from three years now, excited to make some threads with my doubts and problems 😎

StElmo

Veteran Member
TDI
'08 Ram 2500 6.7; '15 Golf SportWagen
Hi everyone, i own a golf tdi 2002 from three years now, excited to make some threads with my doubts and problems 😎
Welcome! The beauty of coming in with a Mk4 is that you can search for anything and everything in the forums and likely find it. Except the hover conversion package that was supposed to come out in 2015. Never really saw that come to fruition.

Great place to find a TDi "mentor". Lots of the old guys and gals I met years ago are still active on here. (Yah I call y'all old).