New to TDIClub? Introduce yourself here!

Just John

TDI
2009 VW Jetta
Hi all, another new member posting.
My daughter drives a 2009 Jetta and I get to fix it for her!
It’s currently in my garage with its mouth open as the turbo actuator refuses to hold a vacuum.

John

TXAG09

TDI
1998 jetta
Good evening from Dallas Texas. New member and first time TDI owner. I just picked up a 1998 Jetta and am looking to get it running at its best. Any veterans live in the Metroplex that wouldnt mind helping out a newb?

OkamiTech

TDI
2000 Jetta
Hello all. Been here for a bit reading through all the knowledge. Pick myself up a 2000 Jetta with over 250k on it. Still runs good. Hope it stays that way

kbeefy

TDI
ALH
Howdy,
TDi owner as of yesterday. Picked up a 2002 Golf 5spd w/ 212k.
New to TDi but not to diesels, I have owned a Ford 7.3 since 2007, it's pretty well tuned up.
Also not new to VW's, have had a '66 Baja bug, '72 super beetle, '91 GTi 8v 5spd, '96 Jetta 2.slow AT, '97 Cabrio 2.slow 5spd.
I also have a '86 Vanagon Syncro weekender w/ a subbie 2.5.

Kurt Adv

TDI
Golf 5 2007
Hi guys, new to Germany, and new to the Golf TDI, bought a good used 2007 model, has a few issues but I'm sure I'll find the answers here.
My first diesel, previous car in South Africa was a BMW E46 330i, sold it with 415000km, huge fun, but now I must obey road rules.

Vwkaferman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Howdy! Newb here, but not newb to VW's. Well, it has been 23 years (which seems like yesterday) since I've had a water cooled VW. Had a '96 GTi VR6 over in Germany, then continued (and still have) my '74 Beetle which I've had since I was 17, going on 30 years now. It desperately needs a full restoration.

Anyways, picked me up a 2003 Jetta Wagon TDi manual. It definitely needs some TLC, some interior cleaning, bits and pieces, headliner, tilt doesn't work, rear wiper doesn't work and most importantly, I need to get to the HVAC flaps and do that mod on them to get back proper air flow. Just picked it up yesterday and will be driving it back to AZ (working in CA).

Wish me luck!

James

reince

TDI
2006 Beetle
Howdy! Newb here, but not newb to VW's. Well, it has been 23 years (which seems like yesterday) since I've had a water cooled VW. Had a '96 GTi VR6 over in Germany, then continued (and still have) my '74 Beetle which I've had since I was 17, going on 30 years now. It desperately needs a full restoration.

Anyways, picked me up a 2003 Jetta Wagon TDi manual. It definitely needs some TLC, some interior cleaning, bits and pieces, headliner, tilt doesn't work, rear wiper doesn't work and most importantly, I need to get to the HVAC flaps and do that mod on them to get back proper air flow. Just picked it up yesterday and will be driving it back to AZ (working in CA).

Wish me luck!

James
You are in the right place for knowledge! Welcome

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Nice - more fellow Texans. I don't know if he's on tdiclub, but Robert Pierce at Pierce Family Auto in Denton works on TDIs. He's a PD guy himself, and he worked on my cars a few years ago, before I figured out how to do things myself.

Kylebr1

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Names Kyle

Live in British Columbia, Canada.
Recently purchased 2006 Jetta TDI also own a 2016 Sierra 4x4 and a 1990 Toyota 4x4 with a turbo 4.8 Ls.

Started my automotive career at a Volkswagen dealer, worked as a technician for a few years then decided I rather sell parts. Been managing a parts store now for 10 years.

Really joined this forum because it seems like there is a lot of great users with a ton of knowledge.

Tirefriar

TDI
I am actually a potential future member here... Looking to buy 2003 Golf TDI with roughly 150k miles. Will be my commuter. Here to research the car and to get an idea what to expect.

chrisgt

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
I am actually a potential future member here... Looking to buy 2003 Golf TDI with roughly 150k miles. Will be my commuter. Here to research the car and to get an idea what to expect.
Expect it to have a lot of deferred maintenance that will cost a bunch of money and time, then be an absolutely fantastic car when it's all sorted out.

Tirefriar

TDI
Per seller brakes and tires are good, a/c blows cold, don't know much about the service history and service records if any. will see the car in the next few days. I'd like to know more about the deferred stuff, what to keep an eye out for. Where should I look for that in this forum?

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Per seller brakes and tires are good, a/c blows cold, don't know much about the service history and service records if any. will see the car in the next few days. I'd like to know more about the deferred stuff, what to keep an eye out for. Where should I look for that in this forum?
Your car would be an A4 body, also known as a Mk4. Biggest thing will be timing belt. Also avoid Hans auto parts.
There's a list of good vendors in the vendor section, as well as there are several other good places to get parts.

Tirefriar

TDI
Thanks. Just sent a list of questions to the seller regarding TB, type of oil/filters used, water separator drain intervals... I am not buying a new car, however since this will be my daily commuter would like to get something that will keep on chugging

Tirefriar

TDI
More details on MkIV: timing belt done at 90k, no supporting docs so will do TB right away. Synthetic oil change and OE filter every 7k, fuel and air every 14k. If the rest of the car as described I’ll be pulling the trigger

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M

Barb2021

TDI
Ibiza 1.9 AGR
Hello guys.

IM Barb from Portugal and I have an Ibiza and A Audi TDI. I need some help from you guys and hope to learn some more about our vehicles Cheers!

CantWrite

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon (BHW/5-spd conv, 03T). I keep in touch with the (2) ALH's I sold.
I never did introduce myself;

I am Kent from southwest CO (USA), Telluride region. Love almost anything/everything except running!

I sold off my ALH's (2002 NB, 2003 jetta wagon) both ALH 5-spds (shoot me now) and jumped into a manual swapped 2005 Passat Wagon. This was due to a growing family (in height). I am working through the bugs as I got the vehicle here:

This is the first forum I have ever joined, and the help and people have been simply amazing, even when I was just a lurker.

Cheers!

five10man

TDI
83 Toy / ALH transplant project
Hi All, Tom from TX - just north of the flushing sound. I traded a project of mine for someone else's, and now I have an ALH to freshen up and fit into my 1983 Toyota Pickup 2wd diesel.
Good to be here!

Caraddict81

TDI
06 new beetle
Hello all! Just bought our 2nd vdub a 06 beetle tdi. Its automatic with 95k on the clock and seems to have all the bells and whistle. Taking it to our dealership this saturday for an oil change, all filters and full inspection. Looking foward to a long time with this vehicle and the amazing mpg's they are known to get. Currently searching about fuel additives since we live in wyoming and high altitude, so it gets stupid cold here in winter.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Hello all! Just bought our 2nd vdub a 06 beetle tdi. Its automatic with 95k on the clock and seems to have all the bells and whistle. Taking it to our dealership this saturday for an oil change, all filters and full inspection. Looking foward to a long time with this vehicle and the amazing mpg's they are known to get. Currently searching about fuel additives since we live in wyoming and high altitude, so it gets stupid cold here in winter.
Check for consumer reviews on that dealership. Some of them are pretty bad.
I'm guessing mechanics are few and far between in your area.

TigerStone82

TDI
03 golf 5speed 4dr hatch 1.9tdi diesel
hey guys, new to forums. i own a 03 golf tdi 1.9l hb 5 speed, 87k original miles. I love it. someone tinkered with it before i got it, messed with vacum and such. runs great , with some shudder and white to green fuel smoke when i get i on it, can you guys give me some tips on how to relieve the shudder. besides buying 1000$in solenoid and vacumm replacements lol appreciate it guys, thanks

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
runs great , with some shudder and white to green fuel smoke when i get i on it,
I like these statements. But it doesn't sound like it runs great. Green smoke? Haven't seen that. You could have a minor vacuum issue or a major issue with boost, turbo operation, or lost timing because of a faulty (or neglected) timing belt service. If it's the last item, you shouldn't really drive the car until you get it sorted.

If you want a guru's evaluation the nearest one to you that I know of is Kirk Blackmore in Grand Rapids. Not that close, but worth the trip if the alternative is chasing (and paying for) resolving issues that may not be the real cause of the poor running. Welcome!

TigerStone82

TDI
03 golf 5speed 4dr hatch 1.9tdi diesel
Not green green. But like unburnt fuel. It does it at cold start, clears after reaching temperature. Working on the egr today. See if it helps.

lowlevelflier

TDI
Mk4 ALH - TDi - Wagon
Glad to have found this..... I've recently acquired my 3rd Tdi but first Mk4.....(the first was a 78 Rabbit straight diesel and sure wish I could find one of those again) My latest MK4 is an ALH series Jetta Wagon in excellent condition but had to put in new wheel bearings, steering rack (repaired it) timing belt, front and rear struts/springs and bushings. It currently has 410,000km and next up will be a total strip and repaint addressing all corrosion both underside and topside (liftgate and front fenders) and a total engine overhaul along with clutch.
Got lotsa questions but will hit the forums first. .. first order of the day is to find a good scan tool and maybe a way to stop the goddamn doors from locking every time I drive.....(this more than even pulling the rack, pisses me off on a daily basis!)