New to TDIClub? Introduce yourself here!

thereal_nico.m

TDI
2003 vw jetta tdi
Hey everyone! New here, picked up a 2003 jetta tdi with 304k miles last week for 500 bucks. My first tdi. Previous owner said the trans was missing 3rd and 4th gear. Simple solution was install a new trans. So i found one with 130K miles. Paid 800 for the trans and new south bend stage 3 daily clutch. Figured that was a good deal. Swapped it over and now im ready for more power. Loving this car and cant wait too see what happens with her.

Volkyboy

TDI
Syncro 1.9T AHU MTDI
Hello to all. Working on my first Diesel and AHU MTDI that came in a Syncro we bought. Engine had a broken crankshaft bolt and all the collateral damaged that caused. I fixed all that and timed it at .98mm. The van would not rev past 2300RPMs. I found two injection pressure valves bad and replaced all 4. I can rev it up to 3500 easily but driving it will stay stuck at around 2900rpms with the Turbo pegging at 18lbs but no more power (thats around 55mph). I don't know anything about the pump thats in it right now and other than timing I have not moved any setting. Should I advance it more or add fuel or??? Also is there anyone in the Daytona Beach area that can give me a few pointers?

Bazibbo

TDI
VW AGR
Hi Guys n Gals

I've got a 1.9 AGR tdi engined T25/T3 Doka. The previous owner did a reasonable job of converting it from the original 1.9 petrol engine, though it's got plenty of niggling little faults that really need sorting. Things the fly by wire throttle 'pausing' about 5 seconds after I start to move (aaagh!) until its fully depressed, the fuel gauge not working with the T25 sender and that old classic, limp mode on inclines and motorways... but I'll get them sorted over time, with your help :)

Oh and I need to sort a flipped passat gearbox and a bit more power out of the thing

Zman.golf

TDI
2001 golf tdi 1.9 turbo diesel automatic transmission
Moderator Note:

Newbies, this thread is more than a decade old! It started out as a HOW TO post, but you will now find an entire HOW TO thread with links galore here: HOW TO

Since its original inception, this thread has evolved into an introduction and welcome thread. Feel free to introduce yourself here and post a picture of your car. If you have a question, feel free to browse the TDI 101 section, one of the model-specific sections, or any one of the forums on our site. :cool:

There is also a SEARCH function so you can quickly find what you're looking for - there are a number of common questions/problems that have already been discussed that you may find interesting.

----------------------------------------------------------

I think there should be a starter post for newbies to help answer many of their initial concerns. Here is a list that I came up with that many newbies have concerns about, or should be informed about:

Take some time and read through the TDIFAQ and the forums.

Consider the EGR modification:

Who has Vag-Com and where: (They are nice people, and can help with the EGR mod)

Read up on the Break-In period . This is important, and can save you many problems down the road!

How To Drive a Stick - Shifting Points

Most recommend that you DO NOT change your oil prior to 5,000 miles:
Do not change prior to 5,000
Do not change prior to 5,000

Diesel 101

Try to use Premium Diesel

Or better yet, try BIODIESEL

Can't get premium or biodiesel, consider adding an additive:

If you are experiencing "poor" mileage:

Another Poor Fuel Economy Post

Come to a GTG and meet your fellow TDI'ers, they can help you out.

Here is a picture of the TDI engine with many important components labeled:

Some general maintenance items:

GeWilli's How To Page
GeWilli's site has lots of good information including: relay 109, MAF analysis, bulb changing (harder than it sounds), any many more!!!

Link to Useful PDF's
This links to a post with a bunch of downloadable PDF files on some procedures.

More How To's

How to do an Oil Change
How to do an Oil Change
How to do an Oil Change

How to change the Fuel Filter

How to clean the Snowscreen
How to clean the Snowscreen

Testing Glow Plugs

Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement

Intake Manifold Cleaning

MAF Failure Analysis

Some add-ons/modifications to consider:

Skidplate

Fumuto Valve

Ventectomy

Mufflerectomy

CCV Mod

Evry Mod

Custom Boost Gauge

How to Buy a Used TDI

Anyone else have something to add that all newbies should read up on? Are there better posts out there that I didn't include?

One last hint... scroll down to the bottom of this page and click on the Favorite Thread link. This will add a link to your "My Home" so you always have a quick link to it.
Does anyone know a guy with a transmission auto or 5 speed for a 2001 tdi golf 1.9 turbo diesel? I’m in trafalger Indiana

Soxxerms19

TDI
2011 Jetta manual
Kris from crestview fl. 2011 tdi Jetta. As with rest of you same issues with fuses can’t locate. Relays cannot locate. Just needs basic diagrams to solve my problems. Also dam horn doesn’t work and cannot find relays or fuses for it. Dealership says it wiring harness with hefty bill attached. Haha
Anywho glad to meet everyone.

Rotarydragon

TDI
2012 Golf
Hello All!

Just bought a 2012 Golf with the tech package. So far, so good! Already picked up some great information from browsing the forums. 2nd diesel in the family, the other being my old 86 F-250 with the 6.9L IDI and ATS turbo, currently down due to a bad water pump. As the handle says, I also like rotary engines but am (temporarily) RX-7 less.

StuartDB

TDI
VW GOLF Mark 6 2009 2.0 TDI (110)
Hi,

Just joined the TDI Forums, as have been donated a great 2009 VW Golf 2.0TDI (the low power version - 108bhp with the ultra light wheels) by my Daughter and Son In Law - after they have been granted Motobility.

I also have a heavily modified 2003 Audi TT and have always needed a second car since having the TT and previously S3.

I am hoping to resolve a couple of issues and try and look after this as a daily driver whilst the TT is off the road for probably 6 months (new clutch, DMF, battery re-location to rear, manifold re-port to match AET hybrid, check valve stem seals in place)

I will raise any actual questions in the relevant forums after searching as just getting used to finding the parts for this.
I have got ODBEleven as obviously my VCDSLite (for Mark IV Golf, 8n 8l b5 Audi) wont connect using KKL and for some reason VanCanPro cannot connect with CAN, also had problems with a HEX lead and VagCommander. but will say I was pleasantly surprised with ODBEleven I have purposely avoided this in the past for the TT as I get everything I would ever need from VCDS, ME7Logger even Android Torque Pro for a quick check whilst out an about - due to the price of it.

but I expect the issues I have are typical of a high mileage diesel which has had a mixture of driving styles over the years.

Thanks, I look forward to being an avid learner :)

Stuart

Last edited:

Babaloui3j

TDI
2000 Jetta
Good day! Not new to VW but new to a not new TDI just picked up a 2000 Jetta W/140k to use a s a commuter... Gonna have a lot of questions and be generally annoying with questions that have probably been answered before. (Yes I will endeavour to search first)

catsdeez

TDI
2002 Golf TDI 1.9L (Auto)
Hey folks. Not a new owner, but finally registered on TDIClub after lurking for years reading things way over my head. But you've all helped me troubleshoot and sound smarter at the mechanic, so thanks ;). My red 2002 Golf TDI (135K miles) is my babygirl even though she lacks the modern bells and whistles (shout out to the CD player and the tape adapter!), but man does she give me a run for my money. And then she takes all that money because I don't work on it myself. One day I'll call it quits on this tormented relationship, but until then, catch me lurking round here trying to keep up.

MATPOC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5-speed
My life was getting boring and I got me a money pit... Not really
I got this TDI for a song (2003 Jetta wagon) it needed some work but it was an easy fix for me (not so easy if you paying someone) and it fits my needs because it's a wagon, added bonus it's a 5 speed and my other cars are automatics.
I swear it's just a beater, need something for work that has more room than my C30 and can keep it dry unlike the truck, also MPG's!
Now that it's roadworthy I realized that it's very very slow, so slow that I googled it, only 90 hp? I expected at least 125, oh well...
So, I'm looking for some cheap and easy ways to uncork the power, not expecting it to be as fast as C30, also don't want to go down a slippery slope I went with it, where I started with air filter and ended up replacing entire intake and exhaust system.
My lesson was that some power is easy to find, some has trade offs, some mods are cheap if you can DIY, some are waste of time and take away power, I managed to avoid those by listening to smart people.
It's a 2003 ALH with 5 speed, first thing I hear "automatic pump is an upgrade, 11mm, high pressure" but this is where I want to get some clarity:
Assume it needs new injectors and tune to work properly? Or will new pump just plug n play with instant power gain? What are the gains ?
Tunes, what are the options? can a simple generic tune be used as I do minor upgrades or does it need to be redone every step of the way?
I have scooped mountains of carbon from intake, but it needs to come out, it looks bad, 190,000 miles. "intake kit" from id only includes intake gasket, but someone told me exhaust needs to come off, any insight on that? How big of a job is it to remove intake?
Any other easy upgrades? Intercooler? Pipes?
My experience with turbo tuning is limited and all with gas powered cars, diesel seems to be quite a bit different...

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
MATPOC, this is the forum you're looking for:

New injectors and a tune from trusted sources and you'll be good.

MATPOC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5-speed
MATPOC, this is the forum you're looking for:

New injectors and a tune from trusted sources and you'll be good.

Thanks!

I've been chipping away at forum topics but too much reading, LOL, head hurts, also some posts are 15+ years old.

I came to same conclusion that chip and nozzles are the way to go, so I need a professional to "set up" injectors (someone mentioned Frank, no idea who and where he's located)

For the tune, looks like Malone or Rocketchip? one I need to send in the ECU other got to buy TuneZilla...
I have something similar to that for my Volvo, handheld OBD2 that re-flashes ECU, but I'm not sure it will work on anything else...

CableJockey

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS
... someone mentioned Frank, no idea who and where he's located...
Frank06: (from his sig)
Frank's VW TDI's, LLC
1007 Olive St.
Lockwood, MO 65682
417-232-4634
Franko6tdi@gmail.com

Another option is Drivebiwire:

some posts are 15+ years old
Your car is old too, so the info is still relevant. 😉

For the tune, looks like Malone or Rocketchip?
Those are two of the praised tuners around here, there is also TDtuning, Kerma, and others. Each has their fans, but not many have experienced A/B comparisons between them. Ultimately comes down to which method works best for you: Send ECU, purchase a tuning box (ie tunezilla), or if you are nearby simply take the car to them.

Feel free to ask specific questions in appropriate forums: plenty of people here to help!

Frankie_b_jr

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL
Newbie to the forum dropping a note to say hi. Running a stock 2015 Jetta TDI Sel.
I hit a deer on November 20th, and the insurance totaled it. I bought it back and am getting ready to start trying to put it back together. You can look at my profile pic to see the damage.
One thing that I'm looking for is an FSM for this car to help with disassembly/ assembly. I did a search both before and after creating an account with no luck. Any help would be appreciated.
I probably won't post much, but I'll be in lurking around quite a bit. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Mega__Man

TDI
2014 VW Passat
First, thanks to all who have posted, made my life and choices easy.

I started with my 2016 3500 cumins drw - learned a ton about diesels. When I moved from my old home (yay divorce) wanted a second vehicle for fuel efficiency. Knew I wanted another diesel. Went with my 2014 VW Passat TDI SEL ... silver with all options ( but it has the DSG I personally wanted a manual. My truck needed automatic as they can tow more - I was excited to get my manual back.... )

My picture- nope- just picture a basic unexciting silver sock tdi passat from 2014. Only mods are (definitely happening) - frostheater [already purchased- in hand], full tint [only what's legal in CO], front and rear dash cam, and stereo

I like doing exciting mods that look like they don't exist

Any ideas on hidden places to keep my plug hidden for the frost heater?

I look forward in hopefully contributing to the forum and obviously Benifiting from it

V_H

TDI
2015 Jetta SE TDI
Greetings to all on these boards.
New owner here of a 2015 Jetta SE with 22k miles & loving's it so far.
Probably won't post much but will be lurking frequently to learn from you guys & gals about our new baby.
Thanks in advance.

ghostko

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Got my first tdi today. It's a 2013 passat se with the dsg and it was an awesome drive home! This forum was an awesome find, it has helped in the search process and I am sure it will help in the future!

greendm

TDI
2015 Jetta SE TDI
Hey TDI family, I'm on my 4th Jetta, but 1st TDI. It is a 2015 and I bought it brand new in July of 2015. I have put 140K miles on it. I found this forum while researching an issue I'm having that I'll ask questions about in a different section of the forum. Not sure how I didn't know about it before. I love my Jetta's and my TDI has been my favorite. It has been a journey owning this car since I only bought it shortly before the emissions issue was reported. It is a 6 speed manual and I am teaching my 14 year old daughter to drive it as it will be her first car. I look forward to my interactions with everyone. Cheers!

TheDudeAbidez

TDI
2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI MK5 manual
The VW spec for TDIs with a PD engine is 505.01, but over the years the most preferred oils for that engine have been Shell Rotella T6 5W40 full synthetic and Mobil 1 TurboDiesel Truck 5W40. Both are generally available at Walmart (and the Rotella, in blue bottle, is a bargain), but it's always good to support the vendors which support the site, which include:
Hi, I am just seeing this, sorry for your lost, your dad sounded like an awesome TDI dude!
This is what I use in my 2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI MK5 manual 5 speed:

Audi VW Oil Change Kit - Liqui Moly/ Hengst 071115562CKT

SKU: KIT-071115562CKT
Audi VW Oil Change Kit - Liqui Moly/ Hengst 071115562CKT
A3, Jetta, Beetle
Includes 5 liters of 5W30 TOP TEC 4200 Engine Oil and Hengst oil filter.
OE Numbers
071115562C, 045115466, 045115466B, 071115562, 071115562B, 045115466A, 071115562A, 045115466C
MFG Numbers
E19HD83, 220125S, 2011, LM2011

WanderTDI

TDI
2002 ALH Jetta
I was actually a member before, but I never posted anything. I've always found my questions have been answered. When the website "upgraded" a while back I was never able to login again. No harm, no foul. I've had my Jetta for about 6 years now. Still love it. I got really lucky with this one, I think. There's no real rust, engine is still smooth (I mean, comparatively speaking) at 290k mi (only 90k are mine), and the interior is in great condition. I plan on having it for as long as I can. This is my reliable working car. No mega-power mods in the future. I know everyone says that, but I've been down that road with another project. It's out of my system. I like traveling, camping, hiking, etc. and this is the car to do it in. This community is great, and I figured it's time I contribute.

Matthew13

TDI
97 Passat Sedan, “Lili von Shtupp”
Hello all! I’m a long-time lurker, first time poster. I bought my 1997 Passat Sedan TDI (”Lili von Shtupp”) in late 2018 and have used this site extensively since then. Lili is a collection of firsts for me: first diesel, first turbo, first vehicle with over 250k miles, and newest VW I have ever owned (all other VWs were 1984 vintage and older, mainly aircooled). She currently has 343k miles and is my daily driver. We travel over 100 miles round-trip daily for work, so I really enjoy 46+ mpg.
Y’all have helped me change the axles and CVs, ball joints, timing belt, perform a ventectomy, and maintain numerous other bits...so thank you! I love working on my cars and enjoy the fact that I can do most of the work myself (VAG-com is an amazing tool) and I love the “alternative fuel” feel.

Thought I’d finally join and introduce myself.

Marc Bourget

TDI
2003 Jetta
New owner of a 2003 Jetta TDI 5 sp wagon. New forum member.
Few days ago started seeing the Instrument Cluster intermittently die then come back. Then the whole car died. Batter at 2.94V, replaced 6 yr old battery. Now things back to normal until I get to about 1000 RPM and the IC dies again. Running with traffic about 50 MPH and put in neutral and let RPM's drop and cluster comes alive Tach says 900 RPM on engine 42 MPH on Speedo - till I let out the clutch and RPMs go over 1000 and it dies again.

I've wandered around here for the past week or so, but haven't seen anything like this. If I say "Pretty Please" can someone point me in the right direction?

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
New owner of a 2003 Jetta TDI 5 sp wagon. New forum member.
Few days ago started seeing the Instrument Cluster intermittently die then come back. Then the whole car died. Batter at 2.94V, replaced 6 yr old battery. Now things back to normal until I get to about 1000 RPM and the IC dies again. Running with traffic about 50 MPH and put in neutral and let RPM's drop and cluster comes alive Tach says 900 RPM on engine 42 MPH on Speedo - till I let out the clutch and RPMs go over 1000 and it dies again.

I've wandered around here for the past week or so, but haven't seen anything like this. If I say "Pretty Please" can someone point me in the right direction?
Welcome aboard! First advice: Post the problem scenario and details in the MkIV forum, with an appropriate title, where it will receive more attention than in this thread. Does the voltage drop at the point the cluster dies?

reince

TDI
2006 Beetle
Hello all! I’m a long-time lurker, first time poster. I bought my 1997 Passat Sedan TDI (”Lili von Shtupp”) in late 2018 and have used this site extensively since then. Lili is a collection of firsts for me: first diesel, first turbo, first vehicle with over 250k miles, and newest VW I have ever owned (all other VWs were 1984 vintage and older, mainly aircooled). She currently has 343k miles and is my daily driver. We travel over 100 miles round-trip daily for work, so I really enjoy 46+ mpg.
Y’all have helped me change the axles and CVs, ball joints, timing belt, perform a ventectomy, and maintain numerous other bits...so thank you! I love working on my cars and enjoy the fact that I can do most of the work myself (VAG-com is an amazing tool) and I love the “alternative fuel” feel.

Thought I’d finally join and introduce myself.
Welcome to the forums!

Gallesio

TDI
VW Golf IV 2002 2.0
Hey guys. I am also new here. I have a 2002 Golf 4 TDI. I love researching basically anything about cars and mostly about the ways how to make a car more advanced or intelligent. I recently found this website (autopi) that actually have their own product that looks super cool. I now use their articles to get some additional knowledge.

Decreppo

TDI
2006 Jetta 1.9L
Hello everyone. Just purchased my first diesel! a 2006 Jetta 1.9L Manual transmission. I believe this is the BRM engine if I’m not mistaken. It has 213k miles on it, but had the timing belt changed at 180k. I’m excited to own it, but nervous that the cam has never been replaced (owner says it’s because the correct oil has always been used and so it has avoided this Achilles heal) he used Amsoil series 3000 5w-30 heavy duty diesel oil, which I plan on using.

I’ll be using it as a daily driver, driving 50 miles each way. Looking forward to learning more about this car here on this forum.

one thing to mention, tried clicking several of the links on the first page of this welcome thread and many do not work.