New to TDIClub? Introduce yourself here!

rickbsgu

TDI
2013 Jetta Sedan 6spd
Hi, TDI newbie, here.

Just bought a 2013 Jetta Sedan TDI. Been looking at them for a long time, and things just came together.
Awesome drive. Looking to get lots of information, here.

rickb

OlallaTDI

TDI
2005 VW Golf TDI Automatic // 2006 VW Jetta TDI Manual
Hey guys. New here. It's been a while since I've been in a forum so I'm sure I'll hit some snags as I re-learn this stuff. I have 2 TDIs.

2005 Golf TDI Automatic 4 Door BEW
The first we bought over 10 years ago, its a 2005 Golf TDI BEW which we drove from 80,000 miles to 308,000 before parking it in the garage 2 years ago to fix up for our son who just turned 16. The exhaust had broken at the flexible pipe just after the turbo which I continued to drive for 1 year before garaging. And it has had several check engine lights/codes for a good portion of the last 200,000 miles. Most having to do with the glow plugs and harness. We always replaced parts as they wore out so it has pretty fresh wheel bearings and brakes. So the following is a list of parts I'm replacing in order to get my son on the road. It needs new exhaust (already have the part from turbo through CAT) but thinking I should probably grab a CAT back system too. Any recommendations? The timing belt has never been changed in the time I've owned it but was told it was replaced at 80,000, so I am surely replacing that. Of course it needs new glow plugs and harness. I was always told the transmission is not serviceable so I've never changed the fluid. I have been poking around the forum and see that it probably could be done. And somehow I got air into the ABS when bleeding the brakes so I need to bring it in and have it hooked up to a machine to properly get the air out.

2006 Jetta TDI Manual
We bought this used from my sister with 140,000 miles about 5 years ago and now it sits at 278,000. Same story with this one. Just repair the bearings and brakes as they wear out. There are a couple of the same glow plug codes being thrown. The cam was replaced at 140,000 due to flat lobes. I suppose it's due for a timing belt soon as well.

I really anticipate keeping both of these cars essentially forever as they just keep on plugging along. I am looking at grabbing a timing belt tool kit but wonder if there is anyone local that would rent it. How do I find a local reputable TDI mechanic for help? I've never taken any vehicle in for repairs in my life. I've always done them myself. I used to have several Beetles back in my younger days but always considered myself a Chevy guy. These 2 TDIs won my wife and I over and we also have a 2018 VW Atlas. I suppose I should just accept that I'm a VW guy at this point in my life.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Hey guys. New here. It's been a while since I've been in a forum so I'm sure I'll hit some snags as I re-learn this stuff. I have 2 TDIs.
Olalla,
The trusted mechanics list is a sticky at the top of the TDI 101 thread. It's not 100%, but it's a start. Check the regional forums for more info.

We change our timing belts every 5 years or 90,000 miles. The belt itself will likely last much longer, but VW specifies a time limits (differs for different engines) because if anything else in the pathway fails, it might be a catastrophic loss.

I replaced my MkIV exhaust with OEM VW from IDparts because the first lasted 15 years and I didn't want anything fancy, and never had much luck with aftermarket fit and longevity.

The air in the system can be bled out at home with the right equipment, there are many good threads available through a search.

The auto trans is a known weak point, but following a regular maint schedule may help. See Rich's great site for all your O1M helpers:

GP's and harness are easy- and would certainly help the system overall when chilly, and might clear your codes.

Honestly, I wouldn't drive much without the TB service done (and some here would worry about even firing them up).

Good luck!

dusan93m

TDI
Golf mk4 TDi PD100
Hi ?
My name is Dusan and I'm from Serbia.
My car is 02 Golf mk4 tdi pd100. This is my third VW, first 1983 golf mk1 1.6d and second 1999 Bora tdi pd115 ?
I love VWs, drive them, work on them, repair...

99.50612TDI

TDI
1999.5 Golf GL TDI 5spd (Sold), 2012 Jetta TDI 6spd (Sold), 2006 Jetta TDI 5spd (SOLD), 2006 Jetta TDI 5spd (Sold), 2011 Golf TDI
Hello Everyone,

I live in Ontario Canada. I just recently purchased a 2011 Golf TDI 6SPD that needed a lot of love. It has a DPF regen light, engine light, needs a new hood, grill, bumper, timing belt and needed brakes all the way around. I got it for $2,000 CAD and it has 177,999 KM on it.

This is my 5th TDI.

2014 - 1999.5 Golf GL TDI 5SPD (Tuned: Stage 2 Malone, Lowered (Koni Coils) and was a boatload of fun!)

2015- 2012 Jetta TDI 6SPD (Tuned: Malone Stage 2, Lowered (ST Coils) and Straight Piped)

2018 - 2006 Jetta TDI 5SPD (Lowered on Detroit Rims)

2018 -2006 Jetta TDI 5SPD (Tuned, Lowered, Buzzken Exhaust and had 500,000KM on it)

2020- 2011 Golf TDI 6SPD

So far to my 2011 Golf TDI I have done:

Brakes all the way around. Getting ready to do a timing belt but before I did it I wanted to take it in to the dealer for a few issues with it that are emissions related.

Thanks and looking forward to chatting with everyone!

Kiwiphil

TDI
B6 passat
Hi guys! I'm Phil from the little covid resort of new Zealand.
My car is a top spec b6 passat, 2010. Absolutely amazed how well specd this car is for its age. Even parallel parks itself!! Alf so economical. Beautiful car. Until...
I couldn't see a b6 forum so please feel free to move it, or correct me etc.
So it skipped a tooth on the cambelt (alternator belt stripped a piece off and went through the crank pulley), I pulled the head, inspected the valves and pistons, and threw her back together, replaced the cambelt and water pump etc, and now she won't start. Sounds like it should when cranking, but there's no fire. The lift pump isn't going so I'm picking its electrical (it did sit for about a year while I got around to it..) all fuses are good, I've swapped relays around, I've run a jump wire to the lift pump and bled the injectors, but still no go. Any ideas? Ps, I'm a forestry mechanic so pretty much big rough diesel stuff. Sparkinometry intimidates me.
Thanks for your time. Looking forward to getting this piece of engineering back on the road

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SE
TDI newb from Massachusetts. Just got a 2015 Jetta TDI SE with just under 60k miles on it, and I’m loving it! Hope to learn a lot about this vehicle, and get the best out of it.

l_nerone

TDI
1998 Jetta
Greetings from Columbus, Ohio!

I recently purchased a 1998 Jetta TDI to compete in the 24 Hours of Lemons endurance racing series with some friends. We are all senior engineering students at The Ohio State University and we all grew up wrenching on different cars. Given that the COVID-19 pandemic is occurring during our final year of college, we couldn't think of a better time to try our hand at racing, learn a thing or two, and hopefully make some memories along the way!

Our Jetta has 215k miles on the odometer, no brakes, a rat's nest of a wiring harness, and a body in *rough* shape, but I think I speak for all my friends when I say how impressed I am with Volkswagen's engineering and attention to detail. Looking forward to getting this machine back in shape and (hopefully) in race condition before we all graduate and go our separate ways!

Thanks!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
That's exciting. I did a few track days in my MKIII in the distant past. It was a lot of fun.

MikePA

TDI
2014 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen 4dr DSG TDI w/Sunroof & Nav xxxPL7AJ5EMxxxxxxx
Hello everyone. I just bought my first diesel! a 2014 Sportwagen TDI. Love the car so far. I also want to point out that most of the links on the first page sound really useful, but don't work any more. :(

baloo

TDI
passat
Hello all
ive just inherited a year 2000 passat tdi auto now its been a long time since i owned a vw that was a mk 2 golf td that took me over 320k miles with nothing more than an alternator through its life if i remember correctly but since then ive lost touch with what vw produce. i dont really need another car right now so this passat is going to be the donner for a little buggy using its engine and box, is there a page anywhere that chronicles the range of engines that vw use i have a lot of learning to catch up on i dont know what engine ive got other than its a 1.9tdi,
this is how it came complete with dead mouse under the plastic engine cover :rolleyes:

quick jet wash improved things no end

im in the uk if that matters to engine models

and one last question whats this little box dosent look very factory to me

thanks Andy

14tdivw

TDI
Jetta
New to the gang...I bought a ‘14 Jetta TDI with 105k miles on 10/8. Yesterday the CEL came on with a P2015 code. My daughter is driving the car and stated the light went away. Any insight???

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
New to the gang...I bought a ‘14 Jetta TDI with 105k miles on 10/8. Yesterday the CEL came on with a P2015 code. My daughter is driving the car and stated the light went away. Any insight???
When my 1st TDI (99.5J) was new I got a similar code. It went away and never returned.

ZachDiesel

TDI
None yet
Newb here. I'm a long-time BMW owner (20+ cars over 20+ years) and have done all repairs and maintenance on my own. My only VW-family experience consists of brief dances with a $150 '88 Golf and a '97 A4 1.8TQMS. Didn't have any real trouble with either, but they weren't enough to break me out of my preference for all things Bavarian.

If/when COVID allows, I'll be taking on a 180-mile round-trip commute. I have no desire to jump into the hybrid world, and I'd like to keep it German, so that brings me into the TDI world. I've always had a crush on the original A3, so a TDI version is on the table. On the VW side, I'm looking at Golfs and Jetta wagons, but only with manual transmissions. I'm happy to have stumbled across this site and look forward to absorbing as much info as possible.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Welcome aboard. See this forum and thread for conversions (you can get a later A3 with a TDI, but no stick):

I think Ingolstadt is in Bavaria, so you're good.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
If you want to stick with BMWs, 335ds are coming down in price, and 328ds are pretty reasonable there days, too. As long as you're willing (and at this point I assume you are) to deal with the BMW failure points like bushings and comfort and convenience stuff, those aren't bad options. For a long commute the 328d will get common-rail TDI like FE in a larger, faster, quieter car. Of course with both you have to accept an automatic.

matt4x4

TDI
1.9L TDI Jetta was to small. 6'4" means Passat, TDI, Wagon!
Hello I signed up a while ago, and it looks like I never posted. I am from Canada, I am looking at buying a Jetta or Passat diesel for the fuel mileage. Everything around here has 300k km. I lost my notes on those vehicles, only thing that rings a bell is ALH engines from '99? to '01? and some parts can be really expensive so I need to look into that. Tempted to just rebuild the engine on anything I buy because I dont want to deal with things later.

The vehicle will be with me for 3 years at a minimum whether I like it or not but I dont plan on driving to much, just a few long country wide road trips to get driving back into my system. But when in the city, probably just use my ebike like I've been doing last few years.

I used to love driving, loved country drives with no where to go, would drive aimlessly in the big city.

I figure I will look for something in the 250-350,000 km range. My usual is to look for rusted out vehicles because they are cheap, could always find a diamond in the rough. Everyone wants new, been tempted myself but cant afford. Might buy off a used stealership lot to get financing and rebuild my credit (at a cost, stealership premiums, interest rates).

Enough of my ramblings. ALH 99-01 probably passat bigger but less mpg. We will see.

Trevordel

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
Hey everyone! Lurker here who just signed up. I have an 05 Jetta TDI wagon with 278k on the ODO. This looks like a great forum and can't wait to learn more about the car.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Hello I signed up a while ago, and it looks like I never posted. I am from Canada, I am looking at buying a Jetta or Passat diesel for the fuel mileage. Everything around here has 300k km. I lost my notes on those vehicles, only thing that rings a bell is ALH engines from '99? to '01? and some parts can be really expensive so I need to look into that. Tempted to just rebuild the engine on anything I buy because I dont want to deal with things later.

The vehicle will be with me for 3 years at a minimum whether I like it or not but I dont plan on driving to much, just a few long country wide road trips to get driving back into my system. But when in the city, probably just use my ebike like I've been doing last few years.

I used to love driving, loved country drives with no where to go, would drive aimlessly in the big city.

I figure I will look for something in the 250-350,000 km range. My usual is to look for rusted out vehicles because they are cheap, could always find a diamond in the rough. Everyone wants new, been tempted myself but cant afford. Might buy off a used stealership lot to get financing and rebuild my credit (at a cost, stealership premiums, interest rates).

Enough of my ramblings. ALH 99-01 probably passat bigger but less mpg. We will see.
Welcome aboard. You don't have to limit yourself to 99.5-01 for an ALH, they actually were in the MKIVs 99.5-03. 350K KM is nothing to those motors if they're looked after (400K miles is becoming quite common). If you do find one, be prepared to do a full timing belt kit on it ASAP unless you get unimpeachable documentation that it's been done within the last 5 years/100K miles by a reputable mechanic.

addes426

TDI
Hi folks. At this time I don't own a TDI but I'd like to swap one into my 67 Jeepster Commando project. I'm trying to educate myself on TDIs. I'd like to convert it to M-TDI and it seems like the ALH is my best bet. The Commando has an odd fire V6 and TH400 from the factory. I think I'll keep the TH400. I'm not a stranger to diesels, I had an 82 Pontiac 6000 with a V6 Olds diesel and presently have a 92 Dodge D350 CTD dually hotrod. I like rattlers and I like different, so the M-TDI swap makes me smile. It will be a while as I'm in the gathering parts stage and was kinda thinking retirement project. Although, I'm getting itchy to start. I'll mostly snoop around, watch for killer deals, and ask stupid questions when I get over my head. Thanks for letting me join. I'll try to not be a pest. Thanks again.

Taipan

TDI
VW BEetle 1. TDi
Hi,
Just got a broken Beetle TDi left on my drive by my Sister! The guy on the recovery truck said there were no codes stored but he suspected the crank position sensor. So, I'm here to search your archives and probably ask for advice!
Thanks.

ras4

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium
New owner Aug '20
2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium 24k miles
I absolutely love the car. Looking forward to learning about upgrades and maintenance

Zolah

TDI
A3. 2.0tdi
Hi people. I am new to this forum and l recently bought an audi a3 . The day l bought it l tested it and all was well but the following day when l went to collect it it was in limb mode and also with no reverse. P18232

addes426

TDI
Hi folks. I'm In Friendly, WV (26146). I'm looking for a ALH code 1.9 TDI to swap into my 67 Jeepster Commando. Engine or whole car if the price is right. I plan to convert it into a MTDI. Right now I'm trying to educate myself so I'll be snooping around. Thanks

PRtime

TDI
Jetta
Hello all. I am finally getting around to joining this club. I have heard about it years ago but now that I am getting ready to retire ,built a new shop to work on my vehicles I thought I should join . WOW what a pleathera of information here. Thanks to all you smart people for helping us weekend mechanic wannabes to save some coin.

DieselShovel

TDI
2012 Golf
Hello everyone i am now the proud owner of a 2012 golf TDI manual transmission with 87k miles. I drove 12 hours to pick this thing up! Just getting into the whole TDI thing. Is there some sort of day one noob guide for maintenance/repairs? I want to get the maximum life out of my golf, any tips are appreciated.