New to TDIClub? Introduce yourself here!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg

Welcome to the club! One problem with your beautiful photos is they are too big for the forum. If you could post them resized or a smaller clickable link to the larger version it would help. When large resolution photos are posted it blows the limits out on the page and makes reading harder due to having to scroll back and forth to read. Trying to keep the resolution down to 800x600 is great or use a smaller clickable link so those that need to can see it in all its glory and not hinder anyone else.

Rainbows are a sign of good things to come!

five6four

TDI
2011 JSW

Welcome to the club! One problem with your beautiful photos is they are too big for the forum. If you could post them resized or a smaller clickable link to the larger version it would help. When large resolution photos are posted it blows the limits out on the page and makes reading harder due to having to scroll back and forth to read. Trying to keep the resolution down to 800x600 is great or use a smaller clickable link so those that need to can see it in all its glory and not hinder anyone else.

Rainbows are a sign of good things to come!
My bad, I did it from my phone and wasnt thinking about the size. All fixed, didnt realize there was image hosting on here, the link in your sig helped, thanks!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I use Imgur and it lets you choose a thumbnail of varying sizes that is a link to the original high rez image. This can be really useful rather than just posting a smaller resolution pic. I don't think the server here does that though.

Thanks for the edit and enjoy!

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I use Imgur and it lets you choose a thumbnail of varying sizes that is a link to the original high rez image. This can be really useful rather than just posting a smaller resolution pic. I don't think the server here does that though.

Thanks for the edit and enjoy!
Our image server offers a thumbnail, medium, or full size. Plus they never go missing. But the management is in the process of updating the forum software. Guessing the new software will make posting images much simpler.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I was talking about a thumbnail that is a link to the larger image. I don't think ours does this. Even ours go missing if the owner messes up the pics and links. Important things I put here. Run of the mill pics are there.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I was talking about a thumbnail that is a link to the larger image. ................
That's exactly what ours does, shows a 1" picture, clickable to open full size. Works great for those multiple image threads or large pics. It is a bit cumbersome to learn, but I'm used to that from my day job.
Pretty sure it will all change with the new software. Guessing you'll be able to just drag and drop or even cut and paste.

Q5Quint

TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon TDI
Howdy folks~ In NC. Just purchased a 2002 TDI jetta wagon with 150k on the clock. Have a few old mechanical diesels so this is my first trip into computer land. Looking forward to getting things back working again. Thanks and great website with lots of info.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Howdy folks~ In NC. Just purchased a 2002 TDI jetta wagon with 150k on the clock. Have a few old mechanical diesels so this is my first trip into computer land. Looking forward to getting things back working again. Thanks and great website with lots of info.
Welcome! More like calculator land with your year and model. The later models are much, much more sophisticated.

GolNat

TDI
2014 JSW
Hello everyone. I have not acquired a JSW yet but am going tomorrow to pick one up. 2014 JSW 6 Speed Manual with 28k miles. I have never owned a diesel powered vehicle but am excited to learn about them. I currently own a 2013 GTI with a Unitronic Stage 2+ tune that is my fun car and wanted a daily driver that was better on fuel, more space, still fun to drive and not an SUV. I'd like to tune it and lower it at some point.

Dealer image:

The GTI for fun :)

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Find and download the extended emissions warranty documents and read them thoroughly to make yourself aware of what is there. You can't expect to get your warranty if you aren't able to state your case clearly. Is this car CPO?

GolNat

TDI
2014 JSW
Find and download the extended emissions warranty documents and read them thoroughly to make yourself aware of what is there. You can't expect to get your warranty if you aren't able to state your case clearly. Is this car CPO?
Great idea!! No it is not CPO. From following the Carfax it was a 1 owner car that looked like they turned it over to VW after the scandal.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
With that low of miles and the year and it being turned over to VW after Dieselgate, I would imagine it would have qualified as CPO. I would check that for sure. Clear title, no salvage? If you bought this from a dealer they should have provided you with the warranty paperwork for the extended emissions warranty. I think by law they are required to do that.

GolNat

TDI
2014 JSW
With that low of miles and the year and it being turned over to VW after Dieselgate, I would imagine it would have qualified as CPO. I would check that for sure. Clear title, no salvage? If you bought this from a dealer they should have provided you with the warranty paperwork for the extended emissions warranty. I think by law they are required to do that.
It wasn't advertised as CPO but it is possible I guess. It is not being sold at a VW dealer if that matters. Yep clear title, all Carfax verified. I am purchasing the car tomorrow but will make sure to ask about the extended emissions warranty.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Oh I understand now, you bought it from an independent dealer not VW dealer. That would account for the no CPO as it is a VW dealer only benefit. I also don't think they are required to give the warranty info either, but can easily be found online.

Greenist

TDI
2014 jetta sportwagen
Hello,
Just bought a 2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 25 August 2020, swapped on old 18inch wheels and added 5% charcoal tint. Third VAG product, 1st TDi.

pixelsandpasties

TDI
PD115, PD130 1.9TDI, 2.0TDI
Hi everyone. My name is Rich from South Wales. I've got a Golf MK4 Sport Estate with a PD130, a MK4 Estate PD115 and my wife has a CR140 Passat estate remapped to 170. We also have a Transporter T25 with a 1.9DG Petrol camper.

Sadly my PD130 will be a massive MOT failure this year, needing sills welding, inner and outer, new rear axle, entire new rear brake hose system and calipers. I've opted to replace with a PD115 that I got from a friend for £550 with 12 mot.

The 115 drives nothing like the 130. I'm really gutted to have to swap to the 115.

I signed up today as over the next few months I'll be breaking and swapping as many components I can from the 130 to the 115, including the interior. I'll also need to ask a few questions about the engines and the benefits, if any, of the 115 over the 130.

The positives of the 115 are that it's had a top engine rebuild, new timing, new radiator, new tyres and underneath is in really good condition.

The negatives are that it's been abused. It's gross inside, tatty outside. It also has a super rough start (immobiliser fault?) and an airbag fault.

Hopefully get to know you all a bit during this transplant journey!

BluFalcon

TDI
13 Passat TDI
Hey,

New/Old Guy Here...

My first VW's were a pair of 96 and 97 Passat TDI's I owned about 5 years ago. The 97 was my daily driver for awhile and the 96 was kind of a rough, but running car that I wound up selling after awhile.

Sold the 97 Passat to buy a coworkers 05 Golf TDI with the Tiptronic and proceeded to drive the wheels off of it until I got hit head on coming home from work one night back in 2017.

After the accident the Emissions Scandal was in full effect and finding a older TDI like my Golf was nearly impossible and the newer ones were getting bought up for the recall "fix", so I bought a 2015 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Limited.
Very nicely equipped car, but I had issues with it that the local dealership either couldn't or wouldn't fix for me so I traded it in after 2 years for a 2013 Passat TDI SE.

I'm here to learn more about my car and get reacquainted with the TDI platform.

I understand a few things have changed...

TDI-12

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE. I've got lots to learn!
Good evening, all. It looks like -- at this moment -- I'm the newest TDI newbie on the forum. Thank you for hosting.

I picked up a 2012 Passat TDI SE in March. Not exactly new, but new to me -- and only half as old as my truck!

I'm a complete n00b to VW, to diesel engines, and to owning a vehicle less than a decade old. I've learned a bunch so far, and I know I've barely scratched the surface. I'll be asking some questions soon....

Last edited:

americuhnt

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
just got a 2000 jetta tdi, doing little repairs here and there. ik this site is seasoned but damn half of the info im looking for is all dead links s:

Jard

TDI
99.5 Jetta
New to VW, she is my first, and I have wanted one for a while. I have almost 10 years wrenching, and now I am wrenching for fun on my own cars.

99.5 Jetta tdi. Picked her up end of August.
One family (2 owners) car, 190k miles.

Since I picked her up, it has been some long evenings working on her. Getting her in good working condition.
The only thing I really need to do is the TB. Which is sitting at 95k miles, paperwork said it was replaced with a 100k belt, and looking at the belt, everything still looks good. (No cracks, stress marks, uneven wear, unusual wear marks, strange sounds.)
I have one broken glow plug, head stripped, but I am very nervous on repairing it, as I have never done one.

I am here to learn from the gurus, and read a lot. Love the "how to" thread the most right now, wow!

ironman86

TDI
2014 jetta tdi sedan
hello my name is Cassidy. I have a 2014 Jetta TDI A/T Fix 117681 Current at 158611 Its at VW for a week now getting DPF and EGR filter replased. Also has 4 other codes dealership refuses to address. they said they'll fix these two clear all codes drive and see if codes return?????? Any advise would be great thanks

kevingrall1

TDI
2005 BEW Golf, 2013 Touareg TDI
New member, but not exactly. I’ve been a member for 3 years, soaking up all the useful information that I could to get my project car in running order, but I haven’t posted until today. I own a 2005 BEW custom tuned with lots and lots of goodies, and I recently purchased a well maintained 2013 Touareg TDI. I’ve also owned a stage 2 2010 Jetta CJAA in the past.

MoP2012

TDI
1998 jetta(broke), 2001 jetta(broke), 2002 jetta (reliable....ish)
Hello! I'm brand new to the Forums, and quite new to the TDI world, Juuuuust getting my 2001 ALH jetta. For now (everything else but the EGR has been done by someone else), I have an EGR Delete going in, It basically is cat back (with a hollow cat.) o2 sensor has been deleted, and some custom bed liner on it for now. I've got a lot planned for my jetta, hoping to make it a wee bit more backroad friendly!

JeremyTDI

TDI
2006 Jetta BRM 5M
Newbie here, name's Jeremy. Just bought a 2006 Jetta BRM and it's my first turbo and diesel vehicle! Very fun to drive, but with 260k miles on the clock, it definitely has some worn out parts. Planning on replacing a few things here and there to freshen it up. I decided to create an account here because I am hoping to get a second opinion on a noise coming from the transmission. I have done a bit of forum surfing and hope it's not what I have been led to believe it is! Gonna go try to find where to post that question right now! Have a great day :)

Spoilsportsdaughter

TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon
Hey y’all. I’m not really new into the world of TDI’s or this forum, my dad was a big TDI guy and frequented this forum here for nearly 20 years. His name was “Spoilsport” aka Nathan and passed away in May. Prior to that I bought a 2005 Jetta Wagon TDI from the owner of Houston Biodiesel. My parents both drove 2000 Golf/Jetta TDI’s for nearly two decades. We used to have TDI timing belt meetups at our house. I’ve always looked to my dad who was my personal TDI guru, but I can just hear him telling me to “make a post on the TDI club forum” if I have any questions.
As basic and simple as changing the oil seems, I want to really be sure I’m putting the correct and good quality stuff in my vehicle. I seem to remember my pops using Mobil 1 synthetic, but I haven’t found any that match the spec I need for my car. The mechanic I use linked me to a liquid moly kit on eBay, but I know my dad used different euro sites for a lot of his TDI maintenance purchases. I also have plenty of fuel, cabin, air filters from his old golf that match my wagon. The person I bought it from said the oil spec was 504.00 and used a Mobil 1 5w 30.
I would really appreciate some help in pointing me out in the right direction to the correct oil and the best sites to obtain it from. I went to all my local auto shops and kept getting recommended Castrol Edge. It’s hard trusting people who aren’t TDI knowledgeable.

thank you,
Kathy

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
Hey y’all. I’m not really new into the world of TDI’s or this forum, my dad was a big TDI guy and frequented this forum here for nearly 20 years. His name was “Spoilsport” aka Nathan and passed away in May. Prior to that I bought a 2005 Jetta Wagon TDI from the owner of Houston Biodiesel. My parents both drove 2000 Golf/Jetta TDI’s for nearly two decades. We used to have TDI timing belt meetups at our house. I’ve always looked to my dad who was my personal TDI guru, but I can just hear him telling me to “make a post on the TDI club forum” if I have any questions.
As basic and simple as changing the oil seems, I want to really be sure I’m putting the correct and good quality stuff in my vehicle. I seem to remember my pops using Mobil 1 synthetic, but I haven’t found any that match the spec I need for my car. The mechanic I use linked me to a liquid moly kit on eBay, but I know my dad used different euro sites for a lot of his TDI maintenance purchases. I also have plenty of fuel, cabin, air filters from his old golf that match my wagon. The person I bought it from said the oil spec was 504.00 and used a Mobil 1 5w 30.
I would really appreciate some help in pointing me out in the right direction to the correct oil and the best sites to obtain it from. I went to all my local auto shops and kept getting recommended Castrol Edge. It’s hard trusting people who aren’t TDI knowledgeable.

thank you,
Kathy
Hi Kathy,

Sorry about your dad and welcome.

<note - not an expert in that car so if you find info contradicting mine, it is probably correct>

If your current tdi is the 2005 wagon, your best bet will be to post your question in the a4 or mk5/a5 forum. You'll get plenty of answers there or better yet search those forums for oil info and you will likely find the info. That car has a pd engine and using the recommended (by members) 5/40 oils is important for cam life.

Just remember that like anywhere on the internet you will find answers giving contradictory advice. You can pretty much always trust advice given by member Oilhammer. You will learn which others seem to consistently give solid info and which seem to be outliers.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
For an '05 Jetta Wagon you want an oil that meets VW's 505.01 spec. That oil will show up in 0w30, 5w30, and 5w40 weights, and you should go with a 5w40 to preserve cam life. Some 5w30 oils, like Total or Rowe, are "heavy" 5w30s, and are almost the same as a 5w40, but others are not. And I'd stay away from a 0w30 for your car.

Don't know if Castrol markets the correct oil for your car here any longer. Total, Rowe, Liqui-Moly, Pentosin...those brands and others have the correct oil. It's unlikely you'll find it in a retail store. Online may be your best bet.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M

thank you,
Kathy
The VW spec for TDIs with a PD engine is 505.01, but over the years the most preferred oils for that engine have been Shell Rotella T6 5W40 full synthetic and Mobil 1 TurboDiesel Truck 5W40. Both are generally available at Walmart (and the Rotella, in blue bottle, is a bargain), but it's always good to support the vendors which support the site, which include: