New to TDIClub? Introduce yourself here!

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
No open source software for these. There are pirated versions, Ross Tech has a limited free version (VCDS lite?). Ross Tech has reverse engineered the VW software and created a legal product. Their cable and software is the best for the money. Knock off cables vary from poor to O.K.

cranberrynut

TDI
2014 Beetle convertible dsg
New VW TDI owner here... Just got a 2014 Beetle convertible, dsg. 20k miles. Denim blue with beige interior. Few body blemishes, nothing serious. Loving the TDI-ness & nearly as much as the optional-roof so far!

I tried uploading a photo using the instructions, but I'm not seeing the file selection appear... so I'll try like this:

Wealth of info in these forums! I may never do mods, but it's nice to know there's plenty of info available about what's happening under the hood.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You can host the photo on our server or any other and post the link back here in your thread. I use imgur and it has lots of choices for formats and sizing (our web site here is old and will not automatically resize for you). Any photo hosting place will do though.

Everyone loves a convertible until it starts getting in disrepair and needs replacing. I did one on my old 1999 BMW 328ci. Not that hard but long and tedious to do it right and a good job doing everything so it looks new again. Take good care of it. BMW had some good cleaning and renewing products for theirs.

It doesn't have much traffic but you may also find some good Beetle info here:

https://www.newbeetle.org/forums/

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Don't see that photo, even looked on the server (pics.tdiclub.com), nothing.
The advantage of using our server is the pics will be there forever.
Short version:
Select Upload button, follow prompts (check your file type)
At the end, harvest the url to use as a link for your post
Note there are 3 sizes with separate urls. For large data use the thumbnail, it shows the full size when clicked.
More complete instructions in my signature.

cranberrynut

TDI
2014 Beetle convertible dsg
Everyone loves a convertible until it starts getting in disrepair and needs replacing. I did one on my old 1999 BMW 328ci. Not that hard but long and tedious to do it right and a good job doing everything so it looks new again. Take good care of it. BMW had some good cleaning and renewing products for theirs.

I plan to... got a cover which is custom fit for the last Beetle gen. Will be garaged sometimes even with the cover on. Got a tip on another cleaner available.

Re: Image uploads: as I said, the actual photo selection part of the photo upload form is not appearing for me. No idea why. But here it is via imgur:

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Don't see that photo, even looked on the server (pics.tdiclub.com), nothing.
The advantage of using our server is the pics will be there forever.
Our server is no different than any other. If you delete or move them the link is broken just like any other. The advantage is most people leave the site and forget or just don't delete them or just leave them alone and don't move them around to other folders and such as often.

Toons

TDI
VW Jetta 2007
Help required please... Loud click noise on full lock.

Hi, I'm new to the site about 5 months ago and believed i introduced myself back then, but must have written it in the wrong area of the site. Anyway, Hello! I have used the search section a lot and it has been great. Thank you to all! This is my first question. Background: My TDI Jetta Mk5 2008 split the front left hand CV boot and i replaced it. Now I have a loud clicking sound on both right and left full lock. Possibly, one click per wheel rotation. While doing the boot job I couldn't separate the steering ball joint so removed the 3 nuts on the bolts attaching ball joint to Lower Control Arm. Apart from removing the split boot and replacing new, nothing else was done to the suspension. Any suggests or observations would be most appreciated.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Hi, I'm new to the site about 5 months ago and believed i introduced myself back then, but must have written it in the wrong area of the site. Anyway, Hello! I have used the search section a lot and it has been great. Thank you to all! This is my first question. Background: My TDI Jetta Mk5 2008 split the front left hand CV boot and i replaced it. Now I have a loud clicking sound on both right and left full lock. Possibly, one click per wheel rotation. While doing the boot job I couldn't separate the steering ball joint so removed the 3 nuts on the bolts attaching ball joint to Lower Control Arm. Apart from removing the split boot and replacing new, nothing else was done to the suspension. Any suggests or observations would be most appreciated.
Toons- welcome aboard. This thread is more of an "introduction" area. You may get a wider variety of views and responses by posting in the dedicated MkV forum. Clicking from the CV with steering wheel fully turned may be a bad joint. If the boot was ripped long enough to allow water/dirt to mix with the grease, the CV itself may need to be replaced. HTH.

Here's the MarkV forum: http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=68

ricohman

TDI
2013 Golf Wagon
First VW diesel

Just brought a 2013 Golf TDI wagon home yesterday and I will have a few questions for fellow Canadian owners. It's my first VW diesel but I have had diesel trucks for a long time and currently have a new F450.
The wagon is in excellent shape and has 46,000 km on the odo. I was looking for a local car near Regina (Saskatchewan) but in the end I made a 550 km trip to pick this one up. It seems all the local cars lately have been coming out of Quebec. Many have rust issues and all seem to have been bought back with bald winter tires on steel rims, no floor mats or owners manual.
So finding a complete local car that was originally sold in Saskatoon is a bonus.

Anyway, it had its recall done in February of this year so I assume it was a late buyback that ended up on a domestic dealers lot 550 km away. I drove it home on less than half a tank and it says I still have 520 km until empty.

I have a question about the trim levels. I remember looking at these cars when they were new and the TDI was either a Comfortline or a Highline.
The Highline trim had 17 in wheels, navigation, dual zone climate and leather. My car has all these things but the dealer I bought it from told me it was a Comfortline. So I really don't know which trim level I have.

Mobile 1 5w30 is $17 a liter locally. Ouch. I have done some reading on the 507 oil requirement. I have yet to find fuel and oil filters locally. I may take it to the dealer this time and then source some.
My truck uses the lift pump to prime the housing after a filter change. I see you need to access software with the TDI so that may not happen at home regardless. And no water drain?

I did not noticed a regen light on my trip home. My F450 displays how full the DPF is and when a regen occurs. Is there a regen light on the TDI?

The car drove fantastic. I am looking forward to driving it on my commute to the city. It is replacing my ancient Focus wagon which has treated me very well. I could not figure out how to adjust the volume on the navigation voice though. How do the maps update?

The car was owned by a female driver. The dealer did not erase her name from the phone list or her home address and where she went in the province from the navigation. I was surprised by that. But glad to have a car with the correct wheels and no rust.

I have wanted a diesel wagon for years but they are scarce here. And the ones for sale have 400,000+ km. I know about dieselgate and the outcome.
But with these cars being offered at such a good price I thought I would grab one.

Zephri

TDI
98 Mk3 Jetta TDI
I guess I'm new here, I bought a 98 Mk3 jetta TDI with over 350k on the clock a couple weeks ago for $500. So far it's been a fun tinker toy gas saver and a learning experience for working on diesel as opposed to gasoline.

Cody_T

TDI
2015 Jetta
I am a new TDI owner!!

Hello everyone. I purchased a 2015 Jetta TDI SEL. 99k miles. Almost 100k now that I write this. Previously I drove a 2002 Saturn Sl1. I really liked that car. But it feels like I’m driving a spaceship now with all the creature comforts. So far I really like it. I drove it home 350 miles from Wisconsin. I live in Minnesota. Drove it the whole home between 80 and 90mph. Drove like a dream. My first fill up hand calculated was 40mpg. I imagine that will go up when not driving that fast. I plan to do an EGR, DPF delete and downpipe from rawtek as well as a stage 2 tune from Malone. I’m planning on driving this car into the ground. So I think that for longevity that’s the way to go. Plus I want some more of that diesel noise.

Last edited:

First2012tdi

TDI
2012 Golf tdi
New to the forum

Hello ladies and gents,I just wanted to introduce myself. I just purchased my first TDI,its a 2012 VW Golf TDI with the 6 speed automatic with Tiptronic,its nothing fancy but I commute 200 miles a day for work and needed something better on fuel. I want to learn as much as can about these cars because I want to increase hp and tq aswell as fuel economy.

LizzyGray79

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
First Time TDI owner :)

I just want to say right off the bat that this forum has been wonderful in helping me lean towards the purchase of my first diesel car for commuting to school. I just recently became the owner of a sweet 2012 Jetta TDI. Black was not my first choice in color but the cornsilk beige interior sold me! It currently has 64,000 miles on it and was a buyout car with the fix that recently hit the used car market. I was stoked to find such a super clean TDI with a one owner Carfax. Definitely my little diamond in the rough! I am currently working on doing the regular 60,000 mile maintenance on it and I am very appreciative of all the info and DIY tips available on this site.

injectorrattle

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen 2.0 TDI
Hey everyone, just got a 2013 Jetta Sportwagen with 33k on the clock about a month ago after owning Dodge Cummins for the past twelve years. Looking to ramp up the power a little and get a few more mpg's.

Batmanntexas

TDI
1999 Jetta
Hello everybody! I just purchased a 1999 Jetta TDI, 5 speed. Car has seen some rough times, but she's in good hands now. Currently, she has 228K miles on the odometer. I have no idea about it's past maintenance life, other than there probably was a lack of it. One of the shifter cables was epoxied to the shifter assembly on the transmission....in any case, I'll be frequenting this site as I work through the issues with this car.

a3dowd

TDI
2004 Passat Wagon
New to VW (and TDI)

Greetings all!!! Was gifted a "new to me" 2004 Passat Wagon, born, bred, and driven in DE with just over 217k on the odometer. I enjoy learning and found this forum while doing some research.

dnlwthrn

TDI
2012 Golf TDI (stock for now)
Yet another person here who took advantage of the "fix" to buy a TDI. I recently picked up a 2012 Golf with the Tech package. Has just over 70k mi on it, but that will climb daily. I drive around 22k mi per year, and am looking forward to the better fuel economy while still having a car that's a blast to drive.

tsteph12

TDI
None yet
Hi All,

Just joined this forum after lurking for past few months. Used to own a ‘84 MB 300TD wagon years ago. Don’t have a diesel VW as of yet, but am in the hunt for a 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI with 6-speed manual. Long time car guy and have enjoyed my ‘72 BMW 2002 and ‘72 2000tii touring for years, and more recently a ‘09 911S manual. I look forward to learning as much as possible on the TDIClub forum.

gcassity

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
New to VW TDI (Maintenance Question)

Hello, I am a new owner of a 2014 VW Jetta TDI. I purchased this car used with 96k miles on it right now, and no mechanical issues that I have noticed from my own inspection and driving it. When I got the car, the people I bought it from had no record of any maintenance that had been performed on the car, other than the emissions system being fixed via warranty (we all know about the whole vw emission issue that happened) Anyways I was wanting your professional opinion on how to proceed with maintaining this car and if you guys would be willing to work on such a car. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and answer my questions, God Bless

Garrett Cassity
gcassity@missouriwestern.edu

TDItrucker

TDI
2001 Beetle
Brand new here, haven't purchased yet

I've been digging the last few days, scouring all the information...

I wanna get your 2 cents on a 2001 Volkswagen Beetle TDI with just 142,000 miles on 'er, for just $2500...description says "freshly cleaned and decarboned intake. Timing belt and water pump done by Eich Volkswagen in St Cloud" (I'm thinking that's a good thing, knowing a VW dealership did the work) Driver side rocker is in bad shape...passenger side starting to get bad...that doesn't bother me, buddy of mine does body work and said it's an easy fix for him.

So yeah....let the comments fly!!

BioMomMobile

TDI
2005 Jetta
Aloha TDIclub!

My girlfriend just bought a 2005 Jetta with 85K miles and as the designated family mechanic, I'd like to introduce ourselves. Naiyana (my better half) did a bit of research and found that the TDI is like the VW's version of Toyota's 22R - strong, capable & will (hopefully) last forever. And from having going down this forum's rabbit hole for the last couple of days, I am stoked to see so many people sharing their knowledge. We've been putting her to the test driving from the Bay Area all the way to Ucluelet, BC then back down to Seattle where we plan to ship to Hawaii. We plan on converting to Biodiesel as we have great quality fuel from Pacific Biodiesel. I've read some of the possible issues with Bio and already downloaded the maintenance schedule (I plan to do the timing belt job) so I look forward to learning and contributing to this great community.

Mahalo!
Roy & Naiyana

Last edited:

Wanda_The_Wagon

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5 spd

Hey everyone!
This is my first post here.
Back in college I had a 2001 Wolfsburg in Tornado Red and have always wanted a TDI. My current job has me driving a decent bit and my soft-top jeep was tiring after a long day. A diesel to eat up miles seemed to be the right choice. After a good deal of time searching for a TDI near me and coming up short, I ended up flying to Houston and buying this sight-unseen. It’s a 2003 Jetta Wagon 5 speed. Funny enough in the same Tornado Red. The seller bought it at an auction and the Carfax only revealed 2 owners and 0 insight into the maintenance history. As I had an 800+ mile drive home, I didn’t want the timing belt shredding itself in the middle of nowhere Louisiana, so I had Das European Autohaus in Houston do the timing belt before I picked it up.
I had 0 issues on the drive home getting 50 mpg the whole way, but the fwd/aft shifter bushing fell apart on me first week having it. I already had DieselGeek’s deluxe bushing kit in the mail and wasn’t a big deal luckily. I’ve also got the following in the mail from IDParts.com:
Cabin, air, fuel, oil filters, diesel purge, I’ve already got some MT-90 in the garage for the transmission, I ordered some decent mats for the floors and engine/trans mounts. I wish I would’ve had the shop do them when they had the engine side out, but I didn’t think of it at the time. So, as I expect the engine mount to eat its aluminum threads, I have Timeserts in hand ready to install too. Lastly, I plan on doing a full suspension refresh too, as the ball joint boots are cracked.
The Good:
-It is a 5 spd TDI Wagon…
-179,000 miles
-TB, water pump etc were done and done right
-Looks to already have a decent skid-plate
-It is a 5 spd TDI Wagon in Tornado Red…
The Not so Good:
-It unfortunately appears to have been smoked in and had a herd of dogs in it… I have already rented a carpet cleaner and did my best to clean up, but it will need a lot of TLC. I am not sure if I want to do an Ozone treatment or just pull parts from a junkyard as the soft-touch is nasty. I have some white scotch bright in hand to try and clean up the plastic a bit before I start ripping stuff from a junkyard.
-It needs a headliner, I’ll pin it for now with plans for a total replace.
-Typical MKIV issues (window regs, cracked solder on door micro-switches etc)
-Its EGR has been “Deleted” …with golf tees blocking the hoses, so I’ll need to go through and clean all that up.
The Car will replace my 1998 TJ Wrangler (309,000 miles and counting) as our adventure rig. It has so much space and gets amazing mileage. I will fix all the needed maintenance and investigate maybe a stage 1.5 tune. I plan to rip the entire interior, lizard skin all the metal and then sound deaden on top of that. Hoping for an excellent under the radar grand touring car to have zero excuses to do road trips in.
Anyways, sorry about the novel. I know it will be a long road ahead of me cleaning this ol’ gal up and giving her the much-needed love, but I enjoy doing it! Thanks for the listen and all the help from this forum getting me this far!
Best,
-Connor

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Sounds like a nice car. It is old. Smart to catch up on all the scheduled maintenance since you have no records. But like any used car that age, you can expect some repair, hopefully not the turbo or injection pump.
I would clean up the EGR properly and get a sage 2 tune from Malone or Rocketchip. The stock set-up can handle Stage 2 just fine and you can get bigger nozzles, turbo, stronger clutch later if you feel the need for a bit more.

Wanda_The_Wagon

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5 spd
Hey BobnOH!

Yea as a DD I plan to just upgrade as I replace. Once I am comfortable to drive it anywhere, I will look into a tune/nozzles etc. I am not letting myself prior ;)

I am from northern WI originally and since moving south I refuse to ever buy a northern car again... Luckily this Wagon lived its whole life in the Houston area!

mudman33

TDI
Mk6 Jetta Sportwagen
New tdi owner! Have been interested in them for years. Finally took the plunge on a cpo ‘14 jsw with 38k. I absolutely love it. Great upgrade from my base model ‘12 jetta s. Been averaging 40-44 mpg. I live in the country, averaging about 19k miles per year. From fuel costs right now, the diesel will save me 30% in fuel, and is a hole lot more fun to drive.

Last edited: