New to TDIClub? Introduce yourself here!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Welcome to the club! Lots of DIY threads here so read through them and learn a little. Most things aren't that much different than any other car. Some things though like the timing belt are critical to be done right and completely. If you are serious you can go here and pay the $35 one day fee and download everything you need in one 24 hour period.

https://erwin.vw.com/erwin/showOrderFlatrate.do

Clip67

TDI
2015 Passat SEL
Hello everyone! Brand new guy here looking at buying a TDI in the very near future. I'll post a few questions in another thread, but wanted to say hello here!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Read up on the ones you are interested in buying first. There are tons of what to look for and other relevant questions answered here already. Welcome to the club! Are you looking for an older or newer one?

Phx_phantom_tdi

TDI
2001 vw Jetta tdi
Hi ?? everyone

Hello everyone my name is Martin I’m from Phoenix Arizona I drive a 2001 Jetta tdi 5 speed is my daily driver I hope to learn a lot from this site and meet some fellow tdi members see if there is any here in phx as I haven’t seen much tdi out here they are hard to come by especially 5speeds

twhite

TDI
2003 jetta
High mileage??? No engine/transmission work??

I have a 2003 VW TDI manual with 230,000. miles. I am original owner. When can I expect the TDI to need any engine or transmission work?

I have never replaced the starter or anything to do with the exhaust. I have replaced the timing belt and water pump a couple of times.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I have a 2003 VW TDI manual with 230,000. miles. I am the original owner. When can I expect the TDI to need any engine or transmission work?

I have never replaced the starter or anything to do with the exhaust. I have replaced the timing belt and water pump a couple of times.
I think typically the cylinder head will have to be rebuilt or replaced during the first 400k miles. The last one I replaced had 440k miles on it.

As for the transmission, I don't think there's any way to predict how long they will last. I had the 5th gear go bad once, and because there were bits of metal in the case my mechanic tore it down, replaced that gear, and replaced the ring gear and all the synchros. That was about 335k miles ago.

forwardmotion

TDI
02 TDI Bora
Hello! New to this forum, new to forums in general. Professional lurker. Not new to VW. Had 2 mk4 GTI 1.8t now proud owner of 02 TDI bora...

Never owned a diesel. Would like to make this puppy a bit quicker like I have done her predecessors. Any suggestions and directions greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

justrand14

TDI
Black 2014 Jetta TDI Premium
Hello Everyone I'm new to the TDI world Just bought a 2014 Jetta back in April. Thanks for letting me in to the group.

Is anyone in the Louisville Ky area?

lengolad

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI GLS wagon, BEW
Greetings from BC, Canada. Just picked up an '06 Jetta GLS TDI wagon from my friend (his kids were too tall for the back seat--awww...!). I've always had a soft spot for wagons; my first car was a '68 Ford Country Squire--deep forest green with eyelid headlights and a 390 under the hood (like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:1968_Ford_LTD_Country_Squire.jpg). I still miss her... And I've always had a soft spot for the A4 wagon, but the Jetta will do just fine! ;-)
Anyway, just creating a post to see if I that will enable me to post a picture in a DIY I'm trying to create (removing the lay flat vent cluster).

Last edited:

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Never owned a diesel. Would like to make this puppy a bit quicker like I have done her predecessors. Any suggestions and directions greatly appreciated.

On a car like yours the rule of thumb was to change the injector nozzles first to a larger size. You are not saying whether its a manual or an automatic. That makes a difference in the nozzle sizes.

After that secondly consider a Stage 2 tune. Don't bother with a Stage 1, you'll be wanting more soon after.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Greetings from BC, Canada. Just picked up an '06 Jetta GLS TDI wagon from my friend (his kids were too tall for the back seat--awww...!). I've always had a soft spot for wagons; my first car was a '68 Ford Country Squire--deep forest green with eyelid headlights and a 390 under the hood (like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:1968_Ford_LTD_Country_Squire.jpg). I still miss her... And I've always had a soft spot for the A4 wagon, but the Jetta will do just fine! ;-)
Anyway, just creating a post to see if I that will enable me to post a picture in a DIY I'm trying to create (removing the lay flat vent cluster).
Pictures must be posted to a server first and then the link pasted back here in your post. We have our own server here that can be used or any other one such as imgur or others you may already be using. Please try and keep the image size down to 800x600 or so or post a clickable pic (thumbnail even) for those who want need to see a full image resolution picture. When posting pictures here at full resolution it blows the margins out on the thread and makes reading posts difficult as you have to keep scrolling back and forth as you read. Welcome to the club!

jcarroll11

TDI
2014 JSW
Hey everyone, just purchased a 2014 JSW last Saturday and put 2000 miles on it already! Drove from NC to LI and back. One of the most comfortable rides I have ever had.

99Jet

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
I'm a forum dinosaur back with a TDI! 99 Jetta TDI was my last and in a few hours, I'm taking delivery of a gently used 2016 Touareg TDI - only 10K on the clock!

There are some great looking cars on this forum - nice to be back!

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Yes! Please resize your photo to 800x600 or change it to a clickable link or thumbnail for the high rez version, if someone actually needs to see the original high rez version. You must remember tha doing what you just did blows the margins out on the thread and makes it difficult to read as you now have to scroll back and forth to do so. Please be polite and welcome back! Nice car.

99Jet

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
Yes! Please resize your photo to 800x600 or change it to a clickable link or thumbnail for the high rez version, if someone actually needs to see the original high rez version. You must remember tha doing what you just did blows the margins out on the thread and makes it difficult to read as you now have to scroll back and forth to do so. Please be polite and welcome back! Nice car.
I wanted to make sure nobody mistook it for a Tiguan! ;)

All fixed, my bad.

Last edited:

kelceyoneil

TDI
2002 Jetta
How do I start a new thread!

I’m new to this forum, and I need help with my 02 Jetta. It has no power, but showing no codes( other than glow plugs) and I have an analog boost gauge confirming the turbo is working properly. Somebody help!

JediJoker

TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
Yes! Please resize your photo to 800x600 or change it to a clickable link or thumbnail for the high rez version, if someone actually needs to see the original high rez version. You must remember tha doing what you just did blows the margins out on the thread and makes it difficult to read as you now have to scroll back and forth to do so.
The forum software should resize it automatically for display within the thread. Most does.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Not ours. There are plenty of blown out threads here from those who either don't know or refuse to do anything about it even after asked to change it up. It doesn't take much extra work usually.

JediJoker

TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
Not ours. There are plenty of blown out threads here from those who either don't know or refuse to do anything about it even after asked to change it up. It doesn't take much extra work usually.
Sure, but maybe a software upgrade would be a more prudent solution, rather than hoping that each and every new member knows or will figure it out. Forum software has been doing this for years; an upgrade couldn't possibly be that expensive.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Membership is falling/dropping and this has been discussed before and hasn't happened. This isn't a commercial site and I would imagine the owner is reluctant to pay for an upgrade, especially now as membership is dwindling. Or you could make a donation and pay for it for everyone.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I like this forum software better than the other 8 forums I peruse (cars and software). Almost never get trackers, it's old, but clear and concise, very few ads anywhere here. Folks should learn how to post picture, 3 sizes to pick from.

Yea Fred!

PhxJettaTDI10

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
New 2010 Jetta TDI here in Phoenix

Looked at and test-drove several Jettas, both TDI and non-TDI, for several weeks, finally came across a private seller vehicle that was in really great shape. First Volkswagen I've owned, first diesel, too.
It's got 139K on it with all of the maintenance records up to date, all done at the local VW dealerships here so I felt that was good. Interior is in excellent condition, really happy so far!
Glad to be on-board!

Phi1osopher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V TDI Passat Wagon
Hi there! My name is Steve, and last week I bought a '96 B4V from a forum member. I've named it Tulbirt ♥ -- T.U.L.B.I.R.T (pronounced Tul- Burt) = because its the best car ever for The Ultimate Low Budget International Road Trip. I'm in Austin, TX and frequently drive to Mexico, and Tulbirt will be my new Mexico road trip car.
A bit about me: I've had a few old VW diesels, and one newer TDI Golf; life time mechanical person, former service manager at an independent auto repair shop that specialized in Porsches.. I lead off-road motorcycle trips in the mountains of Mexico, but sometimes also drive there on the pavement! If anyone is interested in joining us in Mexico some time, I have a big free trip I'm helping lead with about 80 riders in October. Mextrek #10
Here's Tulbirt

The car really is in great condition with about 215k miles, well taken care of, but also with a short list of happy little things that any old car might want to be 100%. The (2 layers) of old window tint obscured the view from the cabin and I spent many hours yesterday carefully removing it all... Today I'll be replacing shifter busings, tomorrow hopefully my freon will arrive and I'll be going through the AC system with a fine-toothed comb.
Anyway, Hi! I'm happy to be here.
-Steve