New to TDIClub? Introduce yourself here!

yahjnby

TDI
1998 New Beetle TDI ALH 1.9 Part owner Sencond New Beetle 98 TDI ALH and a 2002 TDI New Beetle
Hi From Jon in Mill Valley

Hi.
I have a 98 New Beetle tdi that I have been running on biodiesel for years now. I changed my job and don't make as much as I used to so I'm learning to fix my own car online. Also, my father passed away a couple of years ago and he always fixed his own cars so I'm also learning to be more like him.
I've done front brakes and rotors. Both control arms and driver drive axel. Passenger steering knuckle and front struts.
It died due to bad turbo so I've pulled the intake manifold, which needs to be cleaned out, and the turbo. I wanted to get a cheaper repair cartridge for the turbo, but I think the inside vnt is too toasted so I'm saving up for a whole new turbo. Money is tight so my car has been sitting around half apart for a while now. :p
My girlfriend has a 98 tdi beetle as well, but it died and "someday" will be a project car. She has a 2000 that she bought, but it sat too long and the fuel pump is dry, so Over the weekend I'm going to try and prime it.
I'm having fun learning, and have a lot to do. Anyway, thanks for all the contributions here which have helped me a great deal.
[/IMG]

TDIfiend

TDI
-
Searching...tips?

Hi all! I'm currently looking to purchase my first TDI, looking mostly at early 2000s Golfs. I had my eye on one with 144k miles that I could have talked down to $3200…but found out that it's best to avoid automatics at all costs haha; especially this one being a 2002 with 144k miles. (https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/d/2002-volkswagon-golf/6298635176.html)
I found this one:
https://saginaw.craigslist.org/cto/d/2005-vw-golf-tdi/6335457765.html
It's a few hours away from me, and I don't see any trusted mechanics in that area based on that post in the TDI 101 area. Anyone from that area who could suggest a mechanic to take it to for an inspection? I don't see even a European auto shop nearby.
I'm not looking for a big project car; this will be my daily driver, so need something fairly reliable from the get go. Any tips of what to look for if I go to check it out?
Thanks!

beginner

TDI
Golf Mk 3 1.9 TD
Hello to everyone! My name is mustafa. I am writing from Turkey. Here the fuel prices are very expensive (1 liter diesel 4.81 TL) Vw golf 3 aaz engine I bought. I will work with vegetable oil and other oils. I want to build a twin tank system.

Westly7

TDI
Mk4 5 speed
Greet from arkansas i have mk4 with alh,found leak between motor and tranny i though was the rear seal but found out hole in tranny case

mr_y82

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have... '11 Golf, 6-spd, 2-door
Hello new guys!

Hi.
I have a 98 New Beetle tdi that I have been running on biodiesel for years now. I changed my job and don't make as much as I used to so I'm learning to fix my own car online. Also, my father passed away a couple of years ago and he always fixed his own cars so I'm also learning to be more like him.
I've done front brakes and rotors. Both control arms and driver drive axel. Passenger steering knuckle and front struts.
It died due to bad turbo so I've pulled the intake manifold, which needs to be cleaned out, and the turbo. I wanted to get a cheaper repair cartridge for the turbo, but I think the inside vnt is too toasted so I'm saving up for a whole new turbo. Money is tight so my car has been sitting around half apart for a while now. :p
My girlfriend has a 98 tdi beetle as well, but it died and "someday" will be a project car. She has a 2000 that she bought, but it sat too long and the fuel pump is dry, so Over the weekend I'm going to try and prime it.
I'm having fun learning, and have a lot to do. Anyway, thanks for all the contributions here which have helped me a great deal.
[/IMG]
Nice story, nice work, welcome to the club and best wishes!

kingtut73

TDI
2004 jetta TDI
Newbie here

Hello everyone. New to the TDI world. I’ve always wanted one. Finally pulled the trigger on a. 2004 Jetta. I’ve put installed a Dog Collar and changed my bulbs to HIDs.
Forum has been very helpful so far.
Next move Suspension and change the radio head unit.

Enjoy your Day

jklmagilla

TDI
2003 Beetle going into Samuri
Hello Everyone Nice to be here

Hello Everyone I have been one who looks at the site for some very good info that is for sure so here is my story I had a 2003 Beetle that was my sons to use till he rolled it over and it is no longer any good :-( so I have a 1987 Tin Top Suzuki that I am going to put the motor into the only trouble I have is that I don't want to use the injection pump I want to change it to a manual one which I have found one From Hans Auto but here is where the fun begins I am look for a way to mount it so for the only way I see is trim the Bracket down don't need the power steering but could make the rest work I think unless someone knows of a pull that I can put in its place so I can still use the belt so here is what I have been thinking of doing getting a bracket of E-Bay to hack up what's the worse that can happen
Or is their some one out their that makes a bracket that I can use and yes I have been reading all the storys and I don't want to rip out all the wires out of the beetle thanks for reading and have a great day

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
........... I had a 2003 Beetle that was my sons to use till he rolled it over and it is no longer any good :-( so I have a 1987 Tin Top Suzuki that I am going to put the motor into the only trouble I have is that I don't want to use the injection pump I want to change it to a manual one which I have found one From Hans Auto ...................
Kind of a detailed question for a "New to TDI" forum. Maybe try a model specific forum.
I can tell you to avoid Hans. He (prothe) is a known purveyor of inferior auto parts.
And hey- Welcome to TDI CLUB!

ArmChairPilot

TDI
2013 VW Tiguan TDI
2013 Tiguan TDI

I'm new on here, live in Costa Rica, have a 2013 Tiguan TDI automatic, built in Germany. I am the original owner and took delivery in March of 2013. The car now has 44100 kms and so far, has been a very nice car to own.
If anyone on here might relate to my concern and have advice, it would be greatly appreciated.
I took my car to the dealer last week for another concern, but while there, they updated the computer. Immediately upon departure from the dealer I noticed that the engine was rattling at part throttle, as if the injection timing is too far advanced. Up to the computer update, the engine has always been nice and quiet, with lots of power and great fuel economy.
I intend to visit the dealer again this week (probably a two hour drive each way) to demonstrate the problem to them, hoping that they can reverse their update or make some compensating adjustment to eliminate the new, noisy engine condition.
Thanks, Jeff M.

reyesj

TDI
2004 2.0L Passat Wagon
Introduction

Hi, I’m Jose. I have an older 2004 Passat wagon I live in sunny Florida. Nice to meet you all!!!

Red Barjetta

TDI
2000 1.9 5-Speed
Hello fellow TDI enthusiasts. I became a TDI convert in March of this year. Had been looking for another VW to fill a void in my life, and stumbled across an ad for my 2000 TDI Jetta. Growing up I've had multiple air cooled VWs starting with my first car, a 1966 Deluxe with a crank open sunroof. Through the years I've also been owned by a '67, '69, and '72 beetles, a 1971 bus, and a MKII Jetta.

I fell in love on my test drive and headed straight to the bank to make a withdrawal. As I'm new to this whole diesel thing, I'm glad I've found this forum to help me continue my journey into the TDI world.

Gingy22

TDI
2012 Passat SE
Hi Y'all! Just came back to the dark side after swearing off VW a few years ago due to a junk mk IV gti. Now the proud owner of a '12 Passat SE TDI. just got a P2209 code so i'll be browsing around and posting in regards to that for now! Thanks for the great forum.

Areilius

TDI
2001 TDI Jetta
New from Oregon

Hello everyone. New here from Oregon (About 30 miles west of Portland). I am most familiar with common rail engines used in light duty pickups. Still have my pickup to tow our 5th wheel to the dunes. Picked up a 2001 Jetta TDI auto about 2 weeks ago for a commuter. I Knew the trans was going to need attending to, 3 trips to work and back it is done for. Starting my manual swap this week just waiting on the clutch. Nice community you have here. Thank you for letting me become a member

tim0shel

TDI
2003 Wagon
New Here sorta

Hey everyone! Guess it was time to register although the last few years this form has been a great resource for me as I worked on my TDI. I own a 2003 Jetta Wagon got it in 2014 with around 65k original miles with all records. Got the car to keep and use as a daily. Although this is the slowest car I've ever owned its been fun getting the best MPG ever. Still learning about these TDI's I will be doing some brake overhaul and air ride setup when the install time allows.

http://www.timshelnut.com/Photography/Cars/Tim/Jettas/i-mcgMrzC

Gingy22

TDI
2012 Passat SE
Thanks for that. I'll be saving that site for reference. I dropped by the dub dealer to get them to take a gander to which they confirmed that indeed the NOX sensor itself failed and nothing else. Quoted me at just above $500 to have it fixed but today it was FREE because it is covered under the emissions extended warranty. Dodged a bullet on that one! There's a surprising amount of components that VW extended warranties on for this car. Cheers y'all! im happy to have my CEL off.

Pickroyal

TDI
1999.5 1.9 Jetta TDI ALH
Hi everyone, I am completely new to this site but have been reading forums since i got myself a TDI is found this to be an awesome website for answers to mysteries and questions!
I am having problems with my car and i want to post a message about my situation but cannot seem to find where to do so? can anyone help me on this? if this helps the category is misfires. thanks!

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Hi everyone, I am completely new to this site but have been reading forums since i got myself a TDI is found this to be an awesome website for answers to mysteries and questions!
I am having problems with my car and i want to post a message about my situation but cannot seem to find where to do so? can anyone help me on this? if this helps the category is misfires. thanks!
This is a good place for general stuff.
For most troubleshooting type stuff, the model specific forum is better-
http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12
Also se the list at forums.tdiclub.com

norcalmike

TDI
2002 Golf Manual
Hi!
First time TDI owner. Long time ACVW owner.
Just picked up a 2002 Golf. 4 doors. manual trans.
I was looking for a jetta wagon but this popped up for $1900 . one family owned commuter. 200k miles. well maintained. Pretty good shape overall.
I could not refuse.
Looking forward to freshening it up and learning more about TDIS

Last edited:
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI w/alh auto
Newbie who tackled a head replacement on alh

Hey everyone my name is darien I have really wanted a tdi for a while and I was at the auction and they were towing through an 03 Jetta TDI and my brother bought it for 550$ it has 260000 km and the timing belt had broken. I knew absolutely nothing about these cars except they were very fuel efficient after making some really newbie mistakes like taking it to the dealer to get the work done. anyway after spending a bunch of money and getting no where I decided to look at it myself I took the valve cover off and there plain as day I could see a Broken lifter and damaged head, I sourced out a new one bought and the head gasket and all of the intake and other gaskets as well as a timing belt kit took the old head off replaced the timing components and swapped the intake and exhaust and turbo over to the new head and put it on and timed it. The genius’ at the dealer didn’t give me the egr intake tube back and they are closed until tomorrow. The car runs and drives normally up to about 1700 rpm and it just accelerates really slowly after that. I’m not very familiar with turbos so I’m wondering if not having that tube is causing the minimal power issue. I also haven’t hooked up vagcom to dial the injection pump in yet and I’m wondering if that is causing it. also there are some fairly large (1/4”-3/8”) size bubbles going through the fuel line from the filter to the injection pump intake. I took the old fuel filter off and It definitely seems restricted and the tee fitting that goes in the tops of the filter seems completely plugged I can’t move any air through it at all.
Can somebody let me know if I’m looking at the right stuff or help me out? I have learned so much from reading other posts I realize how very little I actually know somebody please educate me :)

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual

enystrom

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Evening all!

Just got myself a 2002 Jetta TDI standard with 162k miles on it from one of my dad's neighbors.

It's my new daily driver as my car was totaled in a recent accident (formerly an 08 Focus). Fortunately no one was hurt AND it wasn't my fault, which is nice.

Was able to nab this blue one for $1,000. Guy took really good care of it and even left me with a KII-USB and replacement intake that he never got around to putting on.

Looking forwarding to chatting with folks or just lurking about to see what I can fix when I get problems. Only thing currently going on is a P1556, but searches around point me to diagnosing and fixing the problem which is awesome.

Enjoy folks!

Jelani83

TDI
Mk4 Jetta tdi wagon
Hi everyone!

I'm in LA and Just got an 04 tdi wagon as my daily driver. I'm looking forward to learning how do some of the simpler work myself. Saving up for a tune and a few other bits to squeeze out a little more mpg's and power. This place is a great resource!

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Hi everyone!

I'm in LA and Just got an 04 tdi wagon as my daily driver. I'm looking forward to learning how do some of the simpler work myself. Saving up for a tune and a few other bits to squeeze out a little more mpg's and power. This place is a great resource!
Welcome to TDI Club!!
There's no tune up for these, but plenty of maintenance items.
Here is a link where you can find a maintenance schedule for your car.
I recommend you look around the forums for basic info on how these motors work. They are fairly simple, but unique. Be aware your motor is a PD, not a VE ('98/99-2003).

VWjunkie

TDI
15 GSW SEL
Good morning everyone!

New TDI but not new to VW. I was able to get a "New" 15 GSW TDI SEL when they were released for sale. I have had her for 6 months or so and now have been bit by the MOD bug. Look forward to learning more about the TDI and enjoy my car until the wheels fall off.