New to TDIClub? Introduce yourself here!

WookieNoiz

TDI
2002 Golf 1.9L TDI , 2004 R32 Supercharged , 2004 GLI w/ R32 Swap , 2008 A3 3.2 Quattro
Yooooooooo ... Sup Guys , New To TDI's Not New To VWs (Supercharged And NA R32's) Just Recently Picked Up A 2002 Golf TDI 1.9L with 142K Miles Stock Except For An EGR Delete And A Set of Coils And Wheels .... Unfortunately Its An Autotragic . Already Plotting To Put My Spare 6 Speed Trans To Use ( ^_^)

Figit090

Veteran Member
TDI
Lifted Unicorn! '03 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon, 5spd, Candy White, Black leather.
Yooooooooo ... Sup Guys , New To TDI's Not New To VWs (Supercharged And NA R32's) Just Recently Picked Up A 2002 Golf TDI 1.9L with 142K Miles Stock Except For An EGR Delete And A Set of Coils And Wheels .... Unfortunately Its An Autotragic . Already Plotting To Put My Spare 6 Speed Trans To Use ( ^_^)

Nice car, good plan. Welcome!

WookieNoiz

TDI
2002 Golf 1.9L TDI , 2004 R32 Supercharged , 2004 GLI w/ R32 Swap , 2008 A3 3.2 Quattro
Nice car, good plan. Welcome!
Ty :D Yeah I Was Lookin All Day Yesterday On What Was Needed For The Swap And Ive Probably Got About 75% of it from when I swapped My GLI From A 18T To An R32 But For Now Its Just Gonna Be My Daily .

Deacon Brent

TDI
99 Beetle 340km
Starter?

Need Help with my Beetle about once a week I have to jump it off. This started about three weeks ago. The battery is just two weak to turn over the starter. Put on a new starter and still having problem. Today I jumped it off in the morning and it started good all day until tonight then I had to get jumped off to get home. Any suggestion welcome

Firehawk09

TDI
2003 Golf TDI
Semi-newbie

I figured i would introduce myself officially, so hey everyone! :cool:
I've had my 2014 Jetta for a little over two years now and last night i bought a 2003 Golf GLS. The stock auto transmission doesn't feel that great so i am already looking into the 6 speed swap from RyanP. :eek:

warmaster

TDI
PD 130
hello. im João, From Portugal. i have a audi A3 pd 130 with 505000 km or 314 000 miles. i had it with almost 300hp, but now it is stock because i have a problem that is not easy to detect.

KiwiCanuck

TDI
Oops.. driving a gasser
2005 MkIV TDI Jetta in Ontario, Canada. I've had it for 2 years now, third owner. Hoping to figure how to get some fuel mileage back - I've friends with MkIV Jetta getting more than 1000 km/tank, and I'm lucky to get 800. Injectors? Nozzles? Other?

WWTDI

TDI
2004 Jetta BEW
2004 MKIV Jetta GLS TDI in San Angelo, Texas. I recently picked it up pretty cheap because the water pump was leaking. New to the TDI game but not to VWs. I had a 2003 GTI, sold it and bought this car. I just put a VNT-17 on it and Malone stage 4 tuning with egr delete. I love this little car!

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Welcome WW. Those are nice cars, study up on the PD fueling system as that bit is different than earlier models. And read a bit about cam issues, but don't panic, remember most come to the forum when things go bad.

Vernster

TDI
2001 Golf TDI
New to the Forums

Hey there,
I just bought a 2001 VW Golf TDI with about 360k on it. The thing runs great and is in good shape mechanically. It's got a conversion kit on it that allows it to run WVO. I've been reading posts from this forum continuously for the last week or so since I've got a check engine light that has lit up. :mad: I won't get into it here since it's a newbie introduction thread.
One question I do have is with regards to oil changes. I just bought some Liqui Moly 5W40 full synthetic oil. It seems to meet all of the criteria required for my Golf. However, I've also seen some heated debates about proper oil in the forums. I paid $70 CAD for 5 litres.
My question is whether or not Mobil1 full synthetic oil meets all the specs required for my engine? I've read it meets or exceeds a lot of standards for diesel engine oil, but I cannot find the actual specs on the oil container itself. Also, is there a better or more economical full synthetic oil out there that I should be considering? The previous owner ran Lucasoil full synthetic.
Thanks in advance.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
One question I do have is with regards to oil changes. I just bought some Liqui Moly 5W40 full synthetic oil. It seems to meet all of the criteria required for my Golf. However, I've also seen some heated debates about proper oil in the forums. I paid $70 CAD for 5 litres.
My question is whether or not Mobil1 full synthetic oil meets all the specs required for my engine? I've read it meets or exceeds a lot of standards for diesel engine oil, but I cannot find the actual specs on the oil container itself. Also, is there a better or more economical full synthetic oil out there that I should be considering? The previous owner ran Lucasoil full synthetic.
Thanks in advance.
All synthetic 5w40 oils will work in your engine. You should not have to pay $70 for five liters. Mobil 1, Shell Rotella, PetroCan Duron are all fine, as well as many others in that 5w40 viscosity.

broxner

TDI
2001 JETTA
San ANTONIO NewB

Hey everyone. Military currently living in San Antonio just found out ill have to start driving from one west side of SA to the north side. My 2004 LIFTED JEEP TJ did not seem a good idea for MPG. And my 1978 Chevy LUV does not have ac and absolutely hates sitting in traffic! Was looking around for a little runner and started thinking diesel. Found a silver 2001 JETTA TDI this thing is clean minus the individual who had the bike rack on back! I love driving this thing polar opposite from my JEEP. It has 328,000 miles on it but i Haven't been able to get over 34MPG. Used this sight and called Diesel Toyz her in SA. The recommend getting timing built changed unless i can track down when it was done. Guy who sold it to me will not respond. I called all of the local dealer ships service but cannot get much info other than warranty. I got a carfax report but it only list that it was serviced at 275000ish. Diesel toys was very informative and extremely helpful but i cant pony up the 860 to swap belt. I looked at directions on site and think i can pull that off but wanted to see if anyone in San Antonio would let me use tools until i can get my own.

Thanks can't wait to start wrapping my brains and knuckles around this thing.

Figit090

Veteran Member
TDI
Lifted Unicorn! '03 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon, 5spd, Candy White, Black leather.
Hey everyone. Military currently living in San Antonio just found out ill have to start driving from one west side of SA to the north side. My 2004 LIFTED JEEP TJ did not seem a good idea for MPG. And my 1978 Chevy LUV does not have ac and absolutely hates sitting in traffic! Was looking around for a little runner and started thinking diesel. Found a silver 2001 JETTA TDI this thing is clean minus the individual who had the bike rack on back! I love driving this thing polar opposite from my JEEP. It has 328,000 miles on it but i Haven't been able to get over 34MPG. Used this sight and called Diesel Toyz her in SA. The recommend getting timing built changed unless i can track down when it was done. Guy who sold it to me will not respond. I called all of the local dealer ships service but cannot get much info other than warranty. I got a carfax report but it only list that it was serviced at 275000ish. Diesel toys was very informative and extremely helpful but i cant pony up the 860 to swap belt. I looked at directions on site and think i can pull that off but wanted to see if anyone in San Antonio would let me use tools until i can get my own.
Thanks can't wait to start wrapping my brains and knuckles around this thing.
Welcome! Try my Carfax.com it may give you info on what dealerships did service. The dealer's you call likely won't give records but might tell you if the belt was done if you ask nicely and only for that. Otherwise assume the belt needs changing.

oprn

TDI
2002 Jetta
New to this site

Hi all, I am new to this site, just found it today! However VWs have been a large part of my life since about... somewhere back... let's see... about 1967 or there about.

Nice to find a bunch of enthusiastic TDI people even though it appears that short sighted, self serving people have legislated us out of existence.

Our first VW turbo diesel was an '83 Rabbit - long live it's rusted remains! Since then we have owned two '04 TDIs and sadly lost both to collisions. Yesterday I picked up a '02 Jetta in pretty good nick and after not driving one for about 4 months it was just like putting on a pair of comfortable old shoes. I had no idea how much I missed the TDIs!

These cars are getting harder to find and higher in price all the time so while we were not in a bind for a replacement I wanted to get one more before they went the way of the Dodo bird.

I am looking forward to some advice and sharing of thoughts on this site.

Merv

BoVicey

TDI
2002 Golf 2-Door
I've been a lurker for years, decided to finally join after finding a 2 door 02 with a manual. I wish I would've created an account first because this post had everything I have searched for in the past.

Platinum6316

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Sport Edition
Hi From Ontario

Hey! Just picked up a 2004 Jetta TDI Sport Edition.
Found this board searching for info.
I hope to learn quite a bit here.

Azjd

TDI
2013 JSW
Recently picked up a 2013 JSW 6MT. So far loving the car and we aren't giving back to VW.

It was in a front collision and it now has a GTI front end. However, I didn't do that mod and we have had a few bugs to work through like the fog lights were only half wired (just right side). Also, they used the wrong hose on the turbo outlet to intercooler.

Just had my first real issue with ABS wheel speed sensor and I appreciate all the info here. I'll try to post my issue and fix when I have some time.

Cheers,
Joe

DC-MOTO

TDI
2004 Golf Tdi
Just purchased my first TDI (2004 Golf GLS) and loving the mpg. Just replaced the tie rods and lower control arms on it and now need to replace the valve cover gasket and turbo seal. Still need to do some more research as I've heard not to replace the gasket and just put on a new valve cover that comes with a perm gasket. Others have told me that if I replace the turbo seal to just put a new turbo on it as it would need to be rebalanced. Plan to use this site and all of your knowledge and experience to keep this TDI in good running condition. :)

dferdy

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
4x 2006 Jetta TDI 3DSG & 1 5 Spd2005 passat SW TDI, 2004 Passat TDI, 2002 Jetta, 2005 Golf, 2002 Jetta 1991 GMC Topkick 6.6 Catipillar
Need a mechanic? Ferdinand Auto in Marietta Ga

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

danjm

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
Hi, just purchased my first TDI, it's a 1998 Jetta TDI, 5-speed manual, 180,000 miles for $1,500.

Pretty new to these cars and and hoping I didn't get myself into a black hole. Have been looking through forum posts learning what I can. From what I can tell at 180k this car has plenty of life left in it, Timing belt was last done at 160k and there are records for regular maintenance/oil changes. It needs some work, radio, cruise control, tach/speedo are all not working. I have worked on plenty older domestic cars before but this is my first diesel and first VW so I have some learning to do. This forum being here and all the info I have already found is going to be a great resource I can already tell. So Hi and looking forward to getting to know you all!

Colville

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SEL "The Modern Squareback"
Been on here lurking for a couple years and can't remember if I introduced myself properly or not…

I daily drive my 1953 Oldsmobile that is a mild "high school" traditional custom built to a late 1950s era. I don't care much for modern cars which is why everything I own besides my VW is pre 1966.

I bought my VW TDI Sportwagen after seeing how reliable they are and the great longevity… The wonderful power you can get out of them with amazing gas mileage, and they have a nice look to them for a modern car.

I don't care about all the TDI lawsuit stuff going on, i'll tune my car to continue to enjoy one of the greatest unique affordable modern cars available today. I will drive it until it literally quits, which honestly will probably not be in my lifetime haha… Thanks for the great forum and wealth of information. Cheers!

JohnnyCanuck.Comox

TDI
2004 Golf GLS
Hi everyone, I bought an '04 Golf TDI 5 speed with 170,800 kms; I'm the 2nd owner. I currently have two Subaru Foresters, my 97 Forester sucks the gas and needs premium so I've been looking for a clean low mileage TDI for some time. I had a 73 super beetle in the early 80's which was a great car, it was lowered and had a fender kit with square headlights/tailights. Lots of great info to digest here, see you soon on a thread here or there!

vumare

TDI
2004 jetta 4 1.9TDI
2004 vw jetta 4 1.9TDI

Hi, I have been driving the vw jetta 4 1.9 tdi for 9 years now. I recently noticed that the headlights are not so bright anymore. I measured the voltage on the headlights while the car engine is off and i got 10V, and i also measured when the engine was running and got 12v. I went to the dealer to check and they told me that i must replace the alternator. I replaced it and there is no change. What might be the problem.

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Hi, I have been driving the vw jetta 4 1.9 tdi for 9 years now. I recently noticed that the headlights are not so bright anymore. I measured the voltage on the headlights while the car engine is off and i got 10V, and i also measured when the engine was running and got 12v. I went to the dealer to check and they told me that i must replace the alternator. I replaced it and there is no change. What might be the problem.

Your headlight issue is a very simple fix, inexpensive too. The mk4 headlights are known for getting cloudy. You can go a few different options.
1. Replace the headlight with a new plastic one
2.replace with a glass housing
Or the cheapest most logical option
3. Restore the headlight with a compound. Afterward buy yourself some Ostram rallye or night breaker bulbs. Trust me, the lights will be even brighter than new.

It's been a while since I have owned an mk4. So someone correct me if I misinformed the op.

Do your lights look like the one on the left? You want them to look like on the right.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk