New to TDIClub? Introduce yourself here!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Hey there I am Jonathan from BC, Canada. I am glad to have found this forum. Recently, I became the owner of a 2000 Golf TDI. Great little car so far! One question: on the overhead console (where you access the sunroof controls), there is a small 'door' you can flip down to face the windshield. Can anyone tell me what the function is of this 'door'? It seems to have a sensor built in...is it for headlight dimming or rain detection?
Some Mk4 VW's have this feature -- one of my Golfs has it, while the other Golf I sold to my nephew does not. I've had three Jetta TDI wagons and none of them have it. It's not really a small sun visor, though it can be used for that purpose. What it does is block light from the overhead light from interfering with the image in your rearview mirror at night. Check it out. I don't know about any "sensor."

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Some Mk4 VW's have this feature -- one of my Golfs has it, while the other Golf I sold to my nephew does not. I've had three Jetta TDI wagons and none of them have it. It's not really a small sun visor, though it can be used for that purpose. What it does is block light from the overhead light from interfering with the image in your rearview mirror at night. Check it out. I don't know about any "sensor."
It's a sun visor. It may have many other useful purposes.

VW P/N (for gray): 3B0858555CY20 "SunVisor. Center panel" and "Center Sun Visor, Pearl Grey. Center sun visor located above the rear view mirror."

I can't actually recall seeing a Mk4 without one, but I guess if it's folded flat it's easy to miss, especially if I'm not looking for it. I've seen some threads where some members here discovered it only after a decade or more of ownership. I wonder is it was GLS only?

Jonathan W

TDI
2000 Golf
Ok Thank you. I am wondering if the depression is to help clear the fastener when it is in the 'closed' position. It sure looks like a sensor on my car.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Ok Thank you. I am wondering if the depression is to help clear the fastener when it is in the 'closed' position. It sure looks like a sensor on my car.
It does look like a sensor, but yes, from memory I thought the little depression allowed it to lie flat. I wonder if the Euro versions used that hole for one of the many cool features we didn't get.

co_derf

TDI
2014 Jetta sportwagen
Hi everyone. I just picked up a 2014 Jetta wagon to use as a daily driver. A little over 180K miles on the odometer. It's a good runner and I got a great deal on it. Still, I'm going to do some maintenance on it as I don't know things like last time the timing belt was changed, etc. Maybe a full transmission service and inspection.

I've been on forums since the 90's. I know I don't want to ask all the noob questions that have been asked and answered a few million times already. I'm going to spend time going through the sticky threads and all that to find all the obvious stuff.

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
Hi everyone. I just picked up a 2014 Jetta wagon to use as a daily driver. A little over 180K miles on the odometer. It's a good runner and I got a great deal on it. Still, I'm going to do some maintenance on it as I don't know things like last time the timing belt was changed, etc. Maybe a full transmission service and inspection.

I've been on forums since the 90's. I know I don't want to ask all the noob questions that have been asked and answered a few million times already. I'm going to spend time going through the sticky threads and all that to find all the obvious stuff.
Welcome! Your engine code is cjaa, 2010 - 2014 jsw, so you'll want to spend much time reading and searching in that sub-forum.

Primary issues with these models are emissions systems related including dpf issues and intercooler icing. Many of these issues can be reduced with a tune and permanently resolved with a delete. Your air might be dry enough in co that the intercooler may not cause you problems.

My 14 jsw has been a great car minus one intercooler icing incident. Hope yours is great for you.

co_derf

TDI
2014 Jetta sportwagen
Welcome! Your engine code is cjaa, 2010 - 2014 jsw, so you'll want to spend much time reading and searching in that sub-forum.

Primary issues with these models are emissions systems related including dpf issues and intercooler icing. Many of these issues can be reduced with a tune and permanently resolved with a delete. Your air might be dry enough in co that the intercooler may not cause you problems.

My 14 jsw has been a great car minus one intercooler icing incident. Hope yours is great for you.
I'm in an emissions county in CO so no delete for me. I've been reading up on all the stuff on this generation. Biggest thing for me is the unknown timing belt age. I'm an accomplished shade tree mechanic (done a few timing belts on a 2005 Jeep liberty diesel). But I may just pay a local shop to do that soon. I need to read up on the icing so I'm prepared for that. Hopefully it's not too bad.

I have an owners manual set on the way. I'm going to grab a shop manual too. I ordered a few things like basic filters and the 507.00 spec oil. I'm going to do some research on getting my thumb drive full of music and playlists working. I have the USB adapter for the center console on the way.

It's always fun getting started with a new-to-me car. Looking forward to enjoying it.

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
Oh, and panoramic roof drain issues if you have one. Mine hasn't given me any issues yet, knocks head, but certainly many have had frustrating issues.

YourGuy64

TDI
2014 VW Jetta TDI
Hi All!!
Got a 2014 VW Jetta TDI about 2 years ago and it currently has 52000 miles on it. I figured now would be a good time to "officially" join the club and start doing research on mods I can do to this beast over the next couple of years.

co_derf

TDI
2014 Jetta sportwagen
Oh, and panoramic roof drain issues if you have one. Mine hasn't given me any issues yet, knocks head, but certainly many have had frustrating issues.
Yeah, I have one of those too. I generally don't use it so it won't wear excessively. Hopefully that's enough to keep it from leaking

Striker223

TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Hey all!

I don't own anything yet but I've been wanting a TDI for a while and decided I'm going to move toward one. The two models I am interested in are a TDI Q7 to replace my old jeep or a Touareg, I currently have an 04 VR6 in the process of being put into use, the Q7 would be mostly just to remain on brand with my other cars.

The other model I want is a manual ALH car, preferably a wagon so I can get the manual ownership bug out of my system and also the diesel one met all in one car. However I am finding it's very hard to find one that is cosmetically in good shape with severe enough issues mechanically to make it worth it for me to buy. I joined here to learn a bit more about the actual ownership side of this type of car vs just the working on them side of things. Plus most of the diesels I have worked on have all been 250-450 class trucks not cars/passenger vehicles

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I think most people here will agree that an ALH engined Jetta Wagon ('02 and '03) is one of the best cars VW built, ever. And they last. We currently have two '02 ALHs (one is a Golf) in the family, total of 960K miles between them. And they just run and run.

Good wagons are very hard to find these days. Be patient.

CanadianALH

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 5spd 2006 Jetta DSG (wifes)
I think most people here will agree that an ALH engined Jetta Wagon ('02 and '03) is one of the best cars VW built, ever. And they last. We currently have two '02 ALHs (one is a Golf) in the family, total of 960K miles between them. And they just run and run.

Good wagons are very hard to find these days. Be patient.
I think it’s easier to find a Lamborghini in your city than a clean manual alh wagon.

northern diesel

TDI
2006 mk4 TDI Jetta Wagon
Hello, I am Keir from Northern BC.
I am new to the forum, and just dizzy from all the wealth of info and wisdom. Thank you everyone for sharing your knowledge and advice.
I am the owner of a 2006 Mk4 TDI wagon for a little over 4 years now. (automatic) It has nearly 300K kms on it.
I am looking to throw some extra love ($) into it to breathe life into this excellent daily driver.
It is a BEW PD if I am not confused.
I have a question if anyone feels like chiming in on their experience with EGR deletes. I have read so many differing opinions. When I spoke to the gentleman from Kerma about a tune and exhaust I was in the market for he swore to me that EGR delete would not be a good idea, especially for a northern climate.
Could anyone enlighten me>?

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I am new to the forum, and just dizzy from all the wealth of info and wisdom. Thank you everyone for sharing your knowledge and advice.
I am the owner of a 2006 Mk4 TDI wagon for a little over 4 years now. (automatic) It has nearly 300K kms on it.
I am looking to throw some extra love ($) into it to breathe life into this excellent daily driver.
I have a question if anyone feels like chiming in on their experience with EGR deletes. I have read so many differing opinions. When I spoke to the gentleman from Kerma about a tune and exhaust I was in the market for he swore to me that EGR delete would not be a good idea, especially for a northern climate.
I would also recommend against an egr delete being up north. Get a tune with dynamic egr (preferably not from Kerma unless you like a sub-par tune)
I was definitely not impressed with the kerma tune I had on my BEW.

MORTAMIR

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV GOLF 05 BEW, DURAMAX LBZ, X5 35D
Mostly likely people will not recommend this delete for you because it will take longer to warm up your car. Which will affect your mileage until it does, and keep cold longer. If you park in a garage it probably would not matter.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
Mostly likely people will not recommend this delete for you because it will take longer to warm up your car. Which will affect your mileage until it does, and keep cold longer. If you park in a garage it probably would not matter.
if you tune it right, warmup time is just fine :) radiator block helps immensely as does using a plugin coolant heater. if you utilize those, you can run more efficiently (but perhaps run a little on the cooler side, depending). generating heat to warmup faster basically needs to run "less efficient". so there are different ways you can change this to fit your wants...

northern diesel

TDI
2006 mk4 TDI Jetta Wagon
if you tune it right, warmup time is just fine :) radiator block helps immensely as does using a plugin coolant heater. if you utilize those, you can run more efficiently (but perhaps run a little on the cooler side, depending). generating heat to warmup faster basically needs to run "less efficient". so there are different ways you can change this to fit your wants...
Thanks for this, yeah even though it's an automatic, I am seriously looking at a tune, and from what I've read Malone and Tunezilla seem to get good reviews. And I think they are local to me too.
Any thoughts or recommendations in that dept? lived experience with an automatic BEW PD and a tune??

I am dealing with what I think is either an N75 solenoid or worse, sticky turbo vanes... but once I get my turbo fixed, I think

I park outside all winter long...
So dynamic EGR seems to be the way forward.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
Thanks for this, yeah even though it's an automatic, I am seriously looking at a tune, and from what I've read Malone and Tunezilla seem to get good reviews. And I think they are local to me too.
Any thoughts or recommendations in that dept? lived experience with an automatic BEW PD and a tune??

I am dealing with what I think is either an N75 solenoid or worse, sticky turbo vanes... but once I get my turbo fixed, I think

my wife has an automatic BEW PD golf, 280k on it, runs like a top (46-51mpg in daily mixed driving). i run my own tuning tho ;) the automatic i swear takes longer to warmup, not having coolant glow plugs in combination with the transmission cooler. the tune i'm running is quite efficient, i believe, but with a stealth radiator block (some copper/vinyl flashing snuck behind the grill to block radiator) + a plug-in coolant heater, it does just fine. i could alter it so that it would warmup faster, but for our climate i think it runs perfectly. i would MUCH rather have a little longer warmup time than EGR recycling in the intake/head especially on a cold engine when i suspect it's gunking things up faster than if the engine were hot.

i detest the BEW egr + intake manifold setup even more than the one on the ALH- what a convoluted overly complicated setup that causes nothing but problems and leaks. i have gutted all that and replace with pd150 intake manifold + race pipe, not terribly concerned about a runaway....

you might be able to stuff the turbo full of foaming cleaner from the egr port (like an aerosol can of engine degreaser from walmart) and free the vanes up if they are in fact gunked up, or you could take the turbo off and disassemble to clean, which is always a sure bet, as long as the turbo comes apart - they can get quite frozen together with rust...

perform the simple n75/vac/turbo checks i list here in my diagnostics section:

in 15 minutes you can determine if you have a turbo/vane problem. you will need VCDS in order to have a well-running tdi. taking logs is an essential part of diagnostics, so if you aren't familiar with that... read up on that in that thread :)

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,

Just get a tune from burpod. You'll be happy with that. 😃

CanadianALH

Veteran Member
TDI
Just get a tune from burpod. You'll be happy with that. 😃
Yes. I just got a refund from a box tuner because it was spiking pretty badly. The burpod tune is smooth. You have the same power the whole way. No massive power spike and then just smoke and no power. Save yourself like I should have. Just go with him. You won’t be disappointed. He already has his PD auto tune dialled in. You also learn lots from the process. It’s a win win win all around.

northern diesel

TDI
2006 mk4 TDI Jetta Wagon
Yes. I just got a refund from a box tuner because it was spiking pretty badly. The burpod tune is smooth. You have the same power the whole way. No massive power spike and then just smoke and no power. Save yourself like I should have. Just go with him. You won’t be disappointed. He already has his PD auto tune dialled in. You also learn lots from the process. It’s a win win win all around.
Awesome! Thank you so much!!
That's a great start point!
VCDS and Burpod. And then keep my eyes peeled for a decent ALH manual wagon with low kms and decent body (yeah right!).

Appreciate the feedback!!

CanadianALH

Veteran Member
TDI
Awesome! Thank you so much!!
That's a great start point!
VCDS and Burpod. And then keep my eyes peeled for a decent ALH manual wagon with low kms and decent body (yeah right!).

Appreciate the feedback!!
Just bought a used VCDS I love it! Had lite before. Also a good program

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Was it Ross Tech?
You can get RossTech VCDS from Roseland (they're my go-to for VW parts as well), or you could get this package from Nuje if you don't yet have a laptop to run it, he's in your province too:

Link to Roseland: