New to TDIClub? Introduce yourself here!

mr_y82

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have... '11 Golf, 6-spd, 2-door
^awesome. I didn't realize that VW was actually doing that at the time of my "joke."

Thanks for taking on the TDI during the fiasco! :)

captjackmd

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Hello, bought my daughter a 2000 Jetta TDI. Going through car and fixing little things. New to the TDI world but not to diesels.
I live in MD if there is any local gurus that want to baby sit me through a timing belt job haha

cheers

Miss_Athanatos

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen 6-speed manual; 2016 3500 Ram Tradesman 4X4 6.7L Cummins 6-Speed manual
Hello, All,

I just purchased a 2015 VW Golf SportWagen TDI S, 6-speed standard, Tornado Red, in July. This is my first time ever buying a car, so I put a lot of time and study into it. I tested A LOT of cars over the summer before making my decision. I'm rather disappointed, of course, to find out about the VW 2.0L diesel emissions fraud. However, as of right now, the SportWagen I got is the hands-down best car I have ever driven for performance and mpg. Time will tell on durability, but I was encouraged by all of the testimonials I'd read before the break of the scandal.

I hope all turns out well.

Sincerely,

Nikohttp://forums.tdiclub.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Hello, All,

I just purchased a 2015 VW Golf SportWagen TDI S, 6-speed standard, Tornado Red, in July. This is my first time ever buying a car, so I put a lot of time and study into it. I tested A LOT of cars over the summer before making my decision. I'm rather disappointed, of course, to find out about the VW 2.0L diesel emissions fraud. However, as of right now, the SportWagen I got is the hands-down best car I have ever driven for performance and mpg. Time will tell on durability, but I was encouraged by all of the testimonials I'd read before the break of the scandal.
You should not be disappointed. Your Golf Sportwagon is likely to be the most desirable of all Mk7 TDIs, and could very well sell for a premium over MSRP in the used-car markets going forward. This is especially the case if VW stops selling diesels in the US, and even somewhat likely if future diesels are detuned for emissions reasons. And unless I'm mistaken, Kansas is not a smog-testing state. You should think very carefully if your dealership requests that you bring your Sportwagon in for a software "update" -- it might be better if leave it as it is, or consider an after-market tune for better performance.

Teeg

TDI
Audi A3
Hello all, just purchased a 2010 Audi A3 TDI w/ 54K. Was one owner from Florida and the carfax reported everything was done, maintenance wise, at the stealership to include bulb changes.... anywho I just did the 55k service ie fuel filter, oil change, cabin filter, and intake filter. Joined do to the vast knowledge in this forum. The dealership told be to buy Castrol Edge..... which after changing I found out that the Castrol edge at local auto stores does not meat VW 507 standards.... so 100 miles later I am draining the oil and putting in fresh Liqui Moly Tp Tech 4200. I doubt/hope that nothing bad will come of this debacle. Stealership wanted to charge close to $600 for this service and it only cost me two hours of my life and $180 in parts....would have been cheaper if it wasn't for the oil being done twice lol

Last edited:

Miss_Athanatos

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen 6-speed manual; 2016 3500 Ram Tradesman 4X4 6.7L Cummins 6-Speed manual
You should not be disappointed. Your Golf Sportwagon is likely to be the most desirable of all Mk7 TDIs, and could very well sell for a premium over MSRP in the used-car markets going forward. This is especially the case if VW stops selling diesels in the US, and even somewhat likely if future diesels are detuned for emissions reasons. And unless I'm mistaken, Kansas is not a smog-testing state. You should think very carefully if your dealership requests that you bring your Sportwagon in for a software "update" -- it might be better if leave it as it is, or consider an after-market tune for better performance.
Thanks for the info.

Justsomebloke

TDI
2000 Golf GT TDi 110
Hi All.
Got myself a 2000 Mk4 GT TDi on Tuesday & have been reading, tweaking & working on my Golf ever since.
Firstly Thanks for the Resource as I've already read untold pages/Faq's & How-To's, Awesome resource. :cool:
I know I'm Uk but looking around the web this Forum seems to be the Busiest with the most relevant info that is also very active so here I am. The only thing I've had to remember when reading is converting it in my head to Right hand drive. :D
My Golf
2000 GT TDi 110 showing 131k miles with 11 Months MOT. Lacquers comes off the bonnet & it has a few battle scars but overall it's a solid motor without any rust. It's had new pads & Bushes before I bought it.
Since Buying it.
2 new tyres on the front & the 2 best to the rear.
New Fuel,Air & Pollen Filter, Air & Fuel filter was already Brand new so some maintenance has been done.
Oil & Filter change today with Full Synthetic PD Oil.
Intercooler clean up.
Numerous Pipes Cleaned out although they were real clean anyway.
Interior cleaned & sorted.
Cambelt kit & Metal water pump is being done Tuesday morning. I also plan on getting a 2nd hand bonett in the right colour & a matching nearside electric wing mirror as somebody has fitted a blue bog standard one.
As it stands the car drives great, Pulls well,Tracks as it should, Stops brilliantly, Holds a good Temp, No smoke on startup or when giving it some.
All in all I'm well chuffed.
Only pics I have at the mo are Engine bay before & after pics so I'll leave these here & post back once I have some decent exterior pics.

Sorry about the huge pics I don't know why they are so big there j-pegs & don't come out that size on other forums ?:confused:

HamsterTDI

TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI, Reflex Silver
My mid-life crisis car - newbie

Just bought a 2004 Reflex Silver Golf TDI GLS 5 spd with 65,900 original miles on the car. The car is completely stock, was owned by an older gentleman who bought it new and drove very rarely after he had a stroke in 2009. The car was driven less than 10,000 miles between 2009 and when I purchased it.

I'm calling it my mid-life crisis car because I've decided to get rid of my 2014 Subaru CrossTrek XV and drive the Golf instead. I've owned 2 other MKIV era cars: a 2000 Golf GLS TDI and a 2005 Jetta wagon TDI. I drive a lot of miles each year (about 45,000) and need a car that can handle those kinds of miles.

I would love input on the following (and I'm scouring the forums for answers to these problems).

1. Rear bumper damage. The previous owner backed the car into a post. The bumper has a fracture and the lower skirt is split/ruined. I took the bumper off this weekend (pulling the Monsoon amp was a hoot...NOT!) and separated the bumper cover from the broken skirt. I put the upper bumper cover back on temporarily. It looked like the spare tire well was dented slightly as well. What's the least expensive option to repair this that will look good?

2. Timing belt. Car has 66,000 miles on it. The dealer said the timing belt needs to be done due to age (gave it a 7/10, 10 worst) for priority, and quoted me $1100. I need a good shop near Bellingham, WA. I'm willing to go to Vancouver, BC area as it is very close. What kind of price am I looking at for the timing belt service?

3. Headlights. I polished the headlights, which were really foggy. They look great now, but I don't want to keep polishing headlights. Best upgrade for headlights that are glass? eCodes? I drive in dark, rainy, rural conditions frequently.

4. Snow tires. Can I size up from the stock wheels to a larger wheel size without making other modifications? Any thoughts on where to find 4 wheels to mount snow tires? Any deals out there/tires you like?

Longer term...I'd like to replace the seats with leather seating but I don't want to go to a Recaro type seat. What options do I have?

It's good to be here - I have lurked off/on for years when I've owned various TDI's. Look forward to some great discussions and much needed advice!
-Andrea

mr_y82

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have... '11 Golf, 6-spd, 2-door
Welcome guy and gal! Andrea, there are plenty of experts, just find the threads they're lurking around on!

Hi All.
Got myself a 2000 Mk4 GT TDi on Tuesday & have been reading, tweaking & working on my Golf ever since.
Nice work (referring to engine bay)

dieselmeken

Reintroduse of Dieselmeken Sweden

Hi I have been away for alot of years but now im back. Im one of the guys that build mechanical TDi pumps 4 & 5 cyl.
Currently I have a VW Caddy 2014 170hp edition
Working in my own dieselworkshop, have around 35 years of experience of diesel injection system
Im also building alot of Me*****s superpumps
Welcome to my Facebook if you want to see how I have it up here in Sweden
https://www.facebook.com/dieselmeken/

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Hi I have been away for alot of years but now im back. Im one of the guys that build mechanical TDi pumps 4 & 5 cyl.
Currently I have a VW Caddy 2014 170hp edition
Working in my own dieselworkshop, have around 35 years of experience of diesel injection system
Im also building alot of Me*****s superpumps
Welcome to my Facebook if you want to see how I have it up here in Sweden
https://www.facebook.com/dieselmeken/
Welcome! Awesome to see you here. I love your videos on FB!

Driximus

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
Been lurking here a long time finally found a used jetta that needed a bit of work. I would like to thank the great knowledge base of information here. She is up and running and I amvery happy. Just needs a bit of front end work and she will be gtg.

Looking forward to tuning and getting some nozzles for the jetta.

Jeff U

TDI
2013 Golf
New to the forum and VW TDI. Just picked up a 2013 Golf TDI with 27,000 miles.

It has a few nice upgrades:
  • H&R Sport springs - sits slightly lower, eliminates that goofy VW stock wheel gap.
  • KONI Sport ("Yellow") adjustable shocks
  • Dieselgeek Sigma 6 short shifter
  • Malone Stage 2 ECU Tune
  • Hotchkiss 27mm, 3-way adjustable rear sway bar
  • Whiteline rear sway bar end links
A few photos of the car after a good clean up. The previous owner had black Plasti-dipped the wheels and a few other areas. He had removed most of it prior to sale. (WD40 does a good job removing Plasti-Dip)

InfoSec Guy

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
OK, Now What??

Hi,
I joined a few weeks ago and asked a few questions about Jetta and Golf TDIs. As it turns out, they're just not that comfortable, so my wife & kid ganged up on me, and now I've got a 2012 Passat TDI SE, courtesy of Carmax.

So, now that I have with it, what do I do with it? I don't even have any cool specs for it yet!

Perry

2OO2TDI

TDI
2015 Passat DSG, 2003 Jetta Wagon 5 Speed Malone Stage 4, Wuzetem .230’s VNT17, Southbend stage 3 endurance, 21# balanced flywheel
Hello gang, I'm new to the TDI family, but a diesel nut, I've owned Mercedes diesels, dodge cummins and current 24V cummins owner.
A month ago I picked up a Blue 2002 TDI Wagon w/131K and poorly maintained, local mechanic replaced the cambelt, water pump, bearings, tensioners etc. also changed many hoses that were cracked and very worn, he said the turbo was not active when I brought it to him, as he changed hoses and put them back the was they were and said the turbo was dead, he connected them following a diagram from the manual and now the car hardly if no smoke at all, whereas before it was very smoky when accelerating.
The biggest question I have, is, when accelerating I feel the pull and hear a very pronounced sound of air gushing from somewhere, mechanic said that's the way the turbo sounds when it's under load? I'm confused, when my cummins turbo is working it's screaming/Whistling.
Other than that I'm very happy the maintenance is now caught up and will give uber a shot and put her to work as I love to drive for the hell of it. Pics to follow :)
Thanks all!

Joe.

jcee77usmc

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI w/ DSG
New to TDI

Hello everyone, yes I'm a newbie to the forum and I just purchased my first VW 3 weeks ago. I purchased a 2009 Jetta TDI w/ DSG. Currently 126K miles (No warranty). I thought it was a great purchase but then my engine light came on and I took it into Pure MS (stand up guys) in San Diego to get checked. The code was P0401 EGR flow insufficient, bottom line I need a new EGR FILTER ($245), Catalytic converter w/ DPF ($1170), catalyst ($2590), labor ($660), and taxes ($327). Total cost ($4992). Anyone else no what I can do to cut 80-90% of this down, I'm all ears. I basically am at my witts end regarding this purchase. FML!

Jay

TurboDirectInject

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 5 spd
Hello

I purchased a one owner 2006 Jetta TDI sedan last weekend. The one owner was my sister-in-law who has owned it since new. It has 155,000 miles and is a 5 speed manual. All the major services have been performed on time and only full synthetic oil has been used for the engine. I've wanted a diesel for some time now, and jumped at the opportunity to buy this car. I went to visit my brother's family and they were discussing buying a new car for their growing family. The deal was fair for both parties, but I think I got a screaming good deal for the condition of the car. I gave them the blue book value for the car, but market prices for this car are almost double what I paid. They were just planning on trading it into the dealer when they bought a new car.

The only real problem was the common leak on the passenger floor board. I did some research on tdiclub.com and ran some trimmer string through the drain tube. This didn't fix the problem, so I removed the wiper blade arms and the plastic cowl cover. This area was packed with leaf debris which I cleaned out. This fixed the problem! I poured a gallon or so of water down each side after cleaning and nothing leaked. The next day it poured rain and again, nothing. I'm pretty sure that water wasn't draining fast enough and was backing up through the fresh air intake for the ventilation system that is located right next to the drain for the sunroof on the passenger side.

I used to own a 1985 Golf GTI, and I love being back in a German car. The performance and handling are nothing that can be matched, IMO. I may end up doing some performance mods sooner or later, but this thing is quick enough for me after driving an early 90's mid-sized truck for the last decade. Sister-in-law said she gets 46+ mpg in mixed city/highway driving, which sounds great after getting 17/18 mpg on my old truck. I plan on doing most of the service myself, unless something major is needed. There is a German-only repair shop near me, which I may take the new car to just to get checked out thoroughly sooner or later.

This forum has answered many questions I've had already as a new TDI owner. Including the leak issue, fuel choices, oil, and thoughts on a K&N filter. I hope to put at least another 150k more on this car. I usually drive cars until they are sold to a junk-yard.

womin

TDI
MkIV 98 Golf
New here!

Hey guys and gals,
Just thought I'd throw a hello at ya.
Got a Mk4 1.9 golf tdi 98 that is the vein of my life lol
Only got her coz I had a crash 3 yr ago and needed a run around. Ended up keeping her.
Will be starting on her body work next year.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Hello everyone, yes I'm a newbie to the forum and I just purchased my first VW 3 weeks ago. I purchased a 2009 Jetta TDI w/ DSG. Currently 126K miles (No warranty). I thought it was a great purchase but then my engine light came on and I took it into Pure MS (stand up guys) in San Diego to get checked. The code was P0401 EGR flow insufficient, bottom line I need a new EGR FILTER ($245), Catalytic converter w/ DPF ($1170), catalyst ($2590), labor ($660), and taxes ($327). Total cost ($4992). Anyone else no what I can do to cut 80-90% of this down, I'm all ears. I basically am at my witts end regarding this purchase. FML!
Jay
If it is registered and the previous smog check has not yet expired, then I suggest that you do nothing. Or almost nothing -- you should stop by the VW dealership sometime and begin the process of registering a claim. Show them the estimate from Pure MS.

One of the things Volkswagen of America is going to end up doing is making sure that every common-rail TDI can pass the emissions test. Or, at their option, they could buy back the car. So let them pay for whatever it takes to pass the test.

If it is currently legal for you to drive the Jetta right now -- that is, if it has current plates -- then just drive it. Do the normal routine maintenance: oil changes, DSG service, etc. But don't worry about the check engine light -- some of us have driven for years and years with a CEL.

dsteinschneider

TDI
2011 Sportwagon
Thinking of buying pristine 2011 TDI Sportwagon

A friend of mine is ready to sell me his 2011 black TDI Sportwagon DSG with 38K miles. After driving it just after he bought it I told him I would buy it from him when he's ready to sell. Now this transaction is clouded a bit by "diesel gate". It looks as though as new owner I will be eligible for the $1000 good offer. I figure that will cover whatever pain I might go through regarding the "fix".

Any advice about buying one at this time would be appreciated.

iadubber

Veteran Member
TDI
JSW
Hello all! I picked up my first TDI 11/6, but I've had plenty of VAG gassers. Signed up for my gift cards already. It's a 2010 JSW 6 speed. The first time at the diesel pump I got a look from a guy in a big Dodge Ram. I know what he was thinking. I got a really, really good deal on this car even though it had some issues dead radio, P2015 code, and P256e code. I have the dieselgeek intake motor arm coming and a new bank 4 sensor on the way. Hoping those take care of the CEL. Ordered up a Micro-can cable as well last night. Looking to be able to do some more diagnostics, bleed the fuel system, disable DRLs, and setup the keyfob windows down feature I had in my MKIV.

CaliVIK

TDI
None (yet) :(
How is everyone! I'm super excited to be part of the club, although I don't own a VW or TDI as of yet, I decided to register an account anyways and plan on buying a 2003 jetta or golf TDI as soon as I get the resources. I love how active and detailed these forums are and I can't wait to start modding and tinkering away, and of course getting to know the community! I'm located in California and hope to show up to some of these get togethers as soon as possible. :)