New to me winter 'beater'

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
So...today I officially helped my wife out of her 2007 Just Empty Every Pocket Compass and into a new winter beater: a 2002 Jetta. I was thinking, when considering such a purchase, that I'd need to add ASR to help my wife drive in the winter, since she is so risk adverse. Winter driving is why she put up with the Jeep.

To be fair, the Jeep was a great car for her, but the last couple of years she has had to pay for rusty components and it (the price for the maintenance) has really shocked her. So, time to make a change.

We looked on craigslist and found several, but in accordance with the usual, it was hard to get sellers to respond. Funny how both buyers and sellers on craigslist get brain-dead.

Anyway, we found a nice 1.8T with auto for her, and it has ESP already. Yay!

Cheers,

PH

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
How many miles on the Compass? A family member has 07 Patriot 2.4 with 200k miles. Maintenance and repairs have been average to below average and the CVT is even still working. They are planning on buying a new 16 Patriot with the conventional automatic.

Wish you good luck with the Jetta. Will you install snow tires in the winter?

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
I too have seen many Jeeps and all have been super reliable. Not Toyota status but close. The v8 was a big flop along with the Quadra-junk tranny/transfer system.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Her Compass is under 80k miles, so she's going to sell it for a premium.

And yes, I already have a set of snows for the winter for the Jetta. The ESP light is on, so I'll have some sensors to replace, but by the time the snow flies, it will be ready and should stick great for her.

She's also looking forward to better winter mileage. She already enjoys great summer mileage in her NB TDI.

PH