tdmsurfguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS Wagon
I’ve got a decision to make; buy:

2014 CPO JSW TDI DSG with 52k
Or
2015 non-CPO GSW S model DSG with 33k

the 2014 is slightly cheaper but a 2 hour drove away in another state. The GDW is a 30 minute drive. I’m coming from having a 2002 ALH that I regret selling. I did all the work myself on the ALH but don’t know much about the newer MK6 &MK7’s. I know they hold up better as commuters and not short around town trips. But with younger kids I know there will be plenty of around town trips since it rains here 6-8 months a year. Been trying to find some thread on durability and reliability of the MK6 vs MK7 and haven’t been able to find some good details. Anyone have a thread or that helped them make a good decision on which version to purchase? Thanks for any help.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
I went thru the same question you are now going thru last year.

For me it was all about reliability and trust in the design. I'm not sure specifically on the 2014 JSW, but a lot of the early common rail VW had an intercooler icing issue, which it won't be a problem for people in the south, but it would be for me.

Then, DPF cracking again in the early common rail. Passat 2012-2014 had cores plugging, and some turbo issues. Some DEF heater issues.

I do like the urea (DEF, adblue) injection system, the lower rail pressure and different injectors in the CRUA/CVCA 2015 engines. It seems they tend to be more gentle on the weak high pressure fuel pump (Bosch CP4), but retrofit a more reliable CP3 is possible on all common rails.

Read and decide what is important to you.

The JSW has independent rear suspension, the 2015 GSW does not. The mk7 electronics is more advanced than the mk6, although I'm not sure I'm comparing apples to apples, as I have an mk7 GWS and a 2015 Passat, which I believe is mostly an mk6 beast. I also used to have an mk5 Jetta, which was not very different than this Passat (car-wise, not engine-wise).

Last edited:

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Also, personally I don't care too much about the CPO warranty, and the dieselgate warranty already covers the stuff I do care about.

My plan, as soon as the end of the dieselgate approaches for me, I'll be replacing the lift pump for a new one, and CP3 HPFP retrofit. Before that, both items are covered and everything else they destroy when those fail.

tdmsurfguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS Wagon
Also, personally I don't care too much about the CPO warranty, and the dieselgate warranty already covers the stuff I do care about.

My plan, as soon as the end of the dieselgate approaches for me, I'll be replacing the lift pump for a new one, and CP3 HPFP retrofit. Before that, both items are covered and everything else they destroy when those fail.
Thanks for the information. Just found out The MK7 from the dealership is to much $ for us after some negotiating. Now it’s between:

CPO 2014 JSW with 52k

or

private party sale 2014 JSW with 22k miles. 2 owner, New tires too. Emissions Recall work was done July of 2019 with 12k miles on it so there almost 2.5+ years or 36k miles left on the warranty

the price similar for the two. Neither have a sunroof.

sorry just realized this conversation is in the MK7 forum. Might have to move this to the MK6 forum

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
I went thrust this same thing and decided on a low mile mk6. This was 2/19 in the 1at wave of dieselgate releases so it may have been different. At that time the price dramatically jumped from mk6 to mk7 and the mk7 coverage was less. Now???

Going from a b5.5 the only real adjustment was the DPF. That was cured with a Polar FIS and non delete tune and is now a non issue. I bought an early low mile 6m CPO mk6 (2011) over a later for the $ savings as it really is the same car. I love the car. IMO the CPO coverage paid off well as I used EVERY once of it to perfect the car as best I could then did a non delete tune to preserve the NEW DPF EGR etc... I still have until 2/ 21 on emmisions warranty. It may or may not be covered due to tune? But I'm gambling I won't need it. The elimation of the soot belching/DPF clogging VW dieselgate retune has been a plus.

I do unfortunately see diesel vehicles on the green agenda chopping block. I sold my 2008 e350 (non PDF) largely because of this. Good old California here has got some law coming in effect soon pulling non DPF diesels and tightening down on adblue. So FAR its only over 14k GVWR... But...

w