New to me - B5 TDI Wagon

vwsnaps

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
I bought Keith's creation:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=341631

Bought it on ebay. Then found owner was on here, called to ask questions pre-purchase - bid away and won - flew in NC on Monday afternoon and Wait picked us up in this.

20-30 ride back to his shop in the Thing was awesome...

Got to shop it sure was full of Vw's / Audi's
Awesome TDI Syncro Westy Van - ( have pic but forgot to upload it )

Did paper work - hoped in the Wagon and hit the road for the 18+ road trip.

Day 1:
Perfect - car had a few cosmetic things i wasnt expecting but its 1998 - so it is what it is.... feel like a sway bar link or something is bad - pulled to the left a little and when turning at low speed / wobbled a bit and has funny noise.. but regardless - hit interstate and started heading west.... made it to Louisville to pick up some coil-overs for the wagon - rolled in about 11pm after a quick stop at hooters... then hit up that Extreme Skateboard park at 130AM friend skated for awhile ( well i didnt skate i watched )

Hit up a hotel outside of Louisville on the Indiana side for the night at 3am

Day 2:
Started 10am - hit interstate and started rolling west - right away car felt different power wise... didnt feel the turbo was spooling - as it was the day before... i was still on my original fill up in NC - gas gauge was just about in the red... as i was going up hills car was boggin' down , choking almost...

Then it just shut off.... called Keith ( thanks again ) and Wait ( thanks again ) looks like the new sending unit or the gas gauge was still not working correct - i ran out of diesel... :(

Co Pilot called VW dealership in Evansville ( 30 minutes from where were broke down ) they recommended a tow service called them and waited , and waited almost 2 hours for a truck.. By this point was positive ran out of diesel so towed it 5 miles to a truck stop - filled it up , cranked and cranked and it fired right up...... back on the road..

St louis - WOW not a fan - 5 or 6 lane interstate brought down to 1 lane due to construction - sat in the same place on a hill for an hour i swear barely moving... which is not fun when its 100 degrees and you are driving a stick shift... well once we got through that i opened it up a little and heard a POP and bam - lost all turbo boost - i was so tired and just wanted / needed to get home so just kept on trucking - tried reseting ECM by turning car off and on - but CEL never came on anyways.... by the time stopped to fill up again it was dark and i didnt even bother to pop hood to see if it was something simple - thought it might of more serious of a problem than it ended up being - like boost creep or something.... made it home 1130pm - got 31mpg without the turbo.. :)

This morning , popped the hood - and wow look what i found.

Whopps - guess i should of just stopped and looked under the hood - oh well it all good we made it home in time ( i was on dad duty today as wife was working )

Just went and titled , licensed the car ( always a core in Nebraska with out of state titles ) Now its official...

Its so fricking hot here - i doubt i will install coil overs until maybe next week i might even wait till the following week as i have 6 hour drive to MN next weekend.. I do need to put it up in the air and see what is rattlin' and shaking around up front... so maybe i will install coils...

Bought some wheels also.

I do have a question - when fixing boost tube - i noticed there is still an air bubble in my fuel line going into IP pump - do i need to get rid of it? how do i do so ( i will google eventually , kids are running around crazy hot here in nebraska.... )

Immediate Future plans:
Figure out gas gauge.
Clean up interior ( shift boot torn , door panels saggin )
Tint windows.
Install coil-overs - figure out wobble - get wheels installed ( i plan to paint them once snow falls ) - install ALpine head unit / XM / Sub ( anyone got stealthbox ? )

Not so near future - I want to mod it - not sure i want to go Vnt-17-22 but i might - then need proper tune etc...
Maybe find me a spare v6 fWD transmission and build a different TDI more friendly gear set - ( this might be very far future unless i come across a good donor car to buy )

Drive it - :)

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Rare car - nice.

Don't worry too much about small bubbles in the supply line -they all do that to an extent.

I have had luck reducing or eliminating bubbles by removing and resecuring the innards of the case pressure valve in the injection pump: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=238872

How many RPM do you turn at 60mph? Do you know the transmission code that was installed in the car?

vwsnaps

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
How many RPM do you turn at 60mph? Do you know the transmission code that was installed in the car?
at 75 i was at 2800 RPM's - around 80-83 i was at 3100.

today while showing my mechanic my new ride... the other side of my boost tube popped off under boost..

i need to find a small 90 degree metal elbow - that one is plastic plumbing pipe that has been squished alot from the clamps..

spent most the day at upull it and local salvage yard - did pretty good found cup holder b5.5 consoles - of course got grey leather one first at upull it - then found grey cloth one at another yard.. there was another grey and a black one as well... it was 100 degree's so wasnt too motivated..

got a used ac vent , dome light ( damn sunroof switch is different so i need to find an early one or something ) got some back up tweeters for door as i plan to upgrade... went to dealership to order a spare $71 key ( ouch )

I am curious if i can use a key fob for this car - dealership said i have late 98 production date - i have the inverted key - i know older b5 have that banjo separate key fob - but he thought i might be able to get away a mk4 wagon key fob that has two buttons.. wonder how i figure that out..

anyways - just installed my rear cargo cover i bought on ebay for $120 - ouch... but i carry lots of tools and photo equipment.. so needed it to get covered..