New to me '96 B4V

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
Settled on this one to replace my girl Dot (Black 1996 Passat TDI), who was totaled two weeks ago. While not as in good of shape as Dot, and I paid more for this one than I did Dot 8 years ago, it should still be a nice daily driver and decent project.

Reference to Dot (must find pictures so I can show her off again): http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=133429

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I-Red,"The Passat formerly known as Harlequin" 97 B4, a non VW GTDI too
That's great news. A little Indian Pearl Red lipstick and she'll be good as new. :cool:

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
My wife doesn't really like the color. I asked her if I could repaint it white and she said yes. Not certain on how I feel about veering from the original, but I do like white vehicles. Funny though none of my 8 VW's have ever been white. It was always black or blue until this one.

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
My wife doesn't really like the color. I asked her if I could repaint it white and she said yes. Not certain on how I feel about veering from the original, but I do like white vehicles. Funny though none of my 8 VW's have ever been white. It was always black or blue until this one.
Once you have it all one color and polished up, it'll look much better. I would only do a color-change if all of the jams, inner doors, etc were done as well. A major amount of work.
This was "I-Red's" color pallet after her panel replacement. Note the Harlequin look :eek:. "Kandy", the VR6 donor is in the background.

And after a little Indian Pearl Red Lipstick :D. I think that the black leather interior is a huge improvement over the Sahara (Tan) cloth that was in it too.

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
And after a little Indian Pearl Red Lipstick :D. I think that the black leather interior is a huge improvement over the Sahara (Tan) cloth that was in it too.
I showed this to my wife and she wanted me to tell you that she likes the color of your lipstick. :p

Because I'd want to tear the car apart before changing the color, we will probably just go with Indian Red. I might put stock steels on it though, maybe I'm just a softy like that.

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
LOL, I think she should have you do an interior swap :eek::p:D.
She agrees, the look is nice. I may get there one day, but there is enough to do without spending for leather, used or otherwise. I like the dark look too, but have also come to appreciate lighter interiors, as it is easier to see in them.

Last edited:

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, it may only be a MACCO job, but they smoothed over the major dents, though there are still some imperfections. At least it is all one color and you don't see all that flaking clear coat.

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, it may only be a MACCO job, but they smoothed over the major dents, though there are still some imperfections. At least it is all one color and you don't see all that flaking clear coat.

A huge improvement. Looks great!!!

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks to the body work and paint, I've now put more money into this car in two months than I did into Dot in 8 years.

That looks amazing! I wish ours was that color (its my favorite of the B4 colors).
If only we were closer we might could arrange a swap, as I want another white car. This color is growing on me though, especially nice on a wagon. Maybe I could trade in the NMS on one of those fabled Golf wagon Alltracks that might come this way, then I'd have my white car. Doubt it tough, the NMS is a great baby (and their stuff) hauler.

Thanks to you two as well. Seeing your rides help give motivation.

Last edited:

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
Radio Rides Again

The name of the car is now Radio. So if you see a reference to Radio (with a capital R) it is this car I'm referring to.

My first big repair happened because of me. The injection pump started leaking, causing the pump to loose prime when parked on an incline (which it is ever night). So I decided to try doing an injection pump head reseal on the car. It didn't turn out well, as I couldn't get the car to start afterwards. Turns out a small shim fell out of place and it was crushed. I disassembled the pump and got a replacement shim from DFIS in Portland, Oregon. Unfortunately I still couldn't get the car to start once the pump was back on the car.

So I went and bought a new car, a '14 Jetta Sportwagon TDI 6MT. Radio sat for a month waiting for me to get the time to work on her again. I finally did, tearing the pump back apart. I found my mistake, and corrected it. Now the car starts faster than before, and timing is more advanced than before.

Injection pump parts except the transfer pump, still in the body.

The broken shim.

First trip longer than a couple of blocks was today, 33 miles round trip to Harbor Freight and back. This is what the MFA came up with for MPG...

Still have to run through a couple of tanks to see if I get better than the 38-40MPG I was getting before the IP work.

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
Thinking of selling her, wonder if anyone is in the market. I'll need to look over it though for any rust, but I think it is in fairly good shape. Needs a bath though.