New (to Me) 2004 Jetta Wagon, couple questions!

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon GL TDI 5-Speed Baltic Green
Hey all,

Picked up a 2004 Jetta Wagon for what feels like a steal and the one outstanding engine is a slow leak form the EGR Cooler. Looks like it's been an issue since 2015, but over the past 5 years they've used less than a quart of G-12 - minor leakage.

I was going through the service records and I don't see any indication the EGR Cooler Recall was ever performed. I put the car's VIN into VW's recall finder and this didn't show up, but the glow pug recall did. I see no trace of a sticker indicating the recall was performed. Is this something I have any hope of convincing VW to do?

Keys. I have two valet keys, one fob which appears to be dead (previous owner showered with it). 10 years ago, VW Key Fobs were several hundred dollars to replace. Is that still the case? I can use the Valet for now, but man fobs are nice.

Best,
Kenneth

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I don't know about the warranty thing, but I'm going to say at 15 years... good luck.

Keys are still stupid $. Even if you can do some of it yourself, it's still expensive.
You will need: vagtacho to get the secret keycode. (rentable)
A fob/key blank

The key actually cut (may be available local) ~$40 IIRC

You will need VCDS to then program the immobilizer
Then VCDS to program the fob (Can be done w/ovcds as well, IIRC)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I think that EGR cooler recall is long gone. Same with glow plug recalls. You can ask, but don't be surprised if the service writer laughs at the request.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
One option for your key fob. If it is the correct one purchase another of the same part no. and transfer the chip. Skill with small electronics needed.