New-to-me 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel

validius

Lacking in ZDDP
TDI
1997 GTI TDI
compu_85 said:
The right oil will be 5w40. Any diesel oil that meets CI4, 505.00 or better and is of that weight will meet the specs for that engine.

Don't neglect the timing belt!

As a note to Lawson's TDI we did the heater core 2 weeks ago... what a PITA! Ended up having to take the whole dash out.

-Jason
fixed!

Your best bet would be Mobil1 Turbodiesel truck. While 5w40 Rotella is a great oil that far exceeds the original spec for that engine the Mobil1 is only marginally more expensive and is an even better oil. Mobil1 filter 'M1-301' is the best filter. Avoid cheap filters like Fram as they are only marginally better then no filter at all. With either of the above oils and a quality filter you are safe to change the oil every 7500 miles.

96 B4 TDI

TDI
96 B4 TDI, 91 A2 TD
If you are ever looking for a little more power, go over to vwdiesel.net and search "Giles Superpump". He can tweak your NA pump or rebuild a turbo pump for you. My Eco is at 314K miles on the original rings and head gasket. The hardest thing about these cars is ordering parts. Most parts houses will try to sell you parts for the NA. Just make sure to double check (or tell them that you have an 87 turbodiesel).

Have fun!

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Yeah, I've been thinking about a Giles TD pump. :D That's not going to happen any time soon though. Gotta work on a few other things first.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
415,000 miles and we just installed all new suspension! Koni Blue Sport springs and Koni Red adjustable shocks. Wow, what a difference! It also just got the super-special Matt-98AHU alignment. :D -2 degrees of camber on the front (maxed out). Now I don't have to slow down for the corners (since it takes forever to get back up to speed ;)).

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Ended up doing a bunch of work to the car the last time I was in Michigan...

Raised the rear suspension up about 1/2" so it sits right, replaced the NA downpipe with a custom 2.25" one. The car is a lot more free-flowing, and the midrange and upper power band is a bit fatter. Also replaced the instrument cluster lights with blue LEDs. :cool:

Oh, also removed the "GTD" nozzles and replaced them with low-mile OEM ECOdiesel nozzles... much smoother, quieter, and less smokey... perhaps even a little quicker.

Last edited:

91mk2

TDI
97 passat TDI
still have it

do u get better mpg with the stock nozzles. i thought these eco diesels were supposed to get 50 mpg

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
44 MPG hwy, and that was with the old EPA drive cycle test, with the old fuel, and 55 MPH speed limits.

If they tested it today, it would probably be around 38 MPG or so.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
As you can see by my signature, I'm averaging about 38 mpg. The stock injectors are getting better economy and more power than "GTD" ones from a vendor on this forum. It's also quieter, smoother, and smokes less.

Driving near 55 mph, I can get in the mid 40s.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Actually the EPA rating on the 91.5-92 1.6 Eco-TD was 37 city / 40 highway . The 1.6 Ds from 89-91 were rated 37 city / with some 43 and others 44 highway . I have the window stickers in a box somewhere for both . I owned some of each over the years , got two 89 Jetta Ds new in the winter & spring of 89 . On HSD these things could achieve 5-7 mpgs above on ULSD .

At speeds above 60-65 mph you will be lucky to get out of the high 30s on either running on ULSD .

91mk2

TDI
97 passat TDI
i have a 91 eco diesel but it has no turbo. Does yours have a turbo?

91mk2

TDI
97 passat TDI
i have that injector pump with that altitude compensator on it. Look at the ip in the video.

My car has a/c, and moonroof, it was built in germany not mexico or USA.

I guess you're right it doesn't say eco diesel on the back just GL.

Is that aneroid to save fuel or something??

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
If you have an altitude compensator you don't have an ecodiesel. That's just a standard 1.6 NA. The switch to the ECOdiesel happened mid 1991. All Mk2 diesel Jettas came from Wolfsburg.

The device on the fender causes a vacuum leak at high altitudes, which causes less vacuum to go to the aneroid, which pulls fuel. It prevents smoking at high altitudes.

-J

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
i have that injector pump with that altitude compensator on it. Look at the ip in the video.

My car has a/c, and moonroof, it was built in germany not mexico or USA.

I guess you're right it doesn't say eco diesel on the back just GL.

Is that aneroid to save fuel or something??
You have the same car I do. 1991 Wolfsburg assembled, non-turbo Jetta diesel GL. And as Jason already stated, you have an altitude compensator. These arrived along with the timing control solenoid thingy on the larger pump in 1989, and continued through the first 7 months or so of the 1991 model year before the ECOs came out. Mine was built in December of 1990, and I did not actually get it until early April 1991, as it was special ordered.

91mk2

TDI
97 passat TDI
I think they were made in american also i've been snatching parts off one not sure of the year but the vin number starts with 1 which is usa.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
If it starts with 1, and you've been pulling parts off of a factory diesel, the car you've been pulling parts off of is a 1985-1987 Golf.

oilhammer

TDI
Or someone swapped a Westy car's dashboard in for some reason. There were a VERY few A2 Jettas assembled here, but I have never seen one with a diesel engine. Even my brother's diesel '89 was German, but I guess it is possible. There were so few '89 diesel Jettas sold here anyways, so it is tough to say where they all came from.

Intech

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, 1999.5 Golf 2 dr
Mine has never been reringed either, at 416k. Starts immediately, hot or cold. Does not hardly use any oil either. :D

Mine even has the original CLUTCH still! But that is getting pretty sketchy.... :eek:
Oilhammer - What is the correct oil for these engines, and what is the recommended miles between oil changes?. You know that mine died at 372k, and that started the 'money pit' evolution. Right now I'm at 350 miles on the new engine, and will have the head re-torqued at 1000 miles. Since I'll drive this one until the wheels fall off, I'd like to start out with the right oil from the beginning.
Thanks

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
What is the correct oil for these engines, and what is the recommended miles between oil changes?
Basically the same as any other VE diesel - Shell Rotella T6 5w40 and 10k miles would be hard to argue with IMO. Mobil 1 TDT if you don't mind spending a little more money or Schaeffer 9000, Amsoil DEO, Pentosin / Red Line / Motul / Lubro Moly 5w40, etc..

oilhammer

TDI
I run 5w40 Castrol Syntec in mine... but since that quoted post, it has been overhauled.... made it to 437k miles, and rather suddenly started running away at random times on the highway and started spitting the dipstick out. This was after I ran it to 95 MPH on the way home (I had to poop...bad) and I think it broke a ring.

But the engine looked almost perfect inside, in fact none of the bearings had hardly any wear on them.

oilhammer

TDI
I had a customer with a 1.8L RV engine 1989 Jetta that was a US-built car. It is the only one I can ever recall, but there must have been some others.

bettajetta_11

TDI
Question about the diesel jetta

Hi all,

I just purchased a 91' diesel jetta, it has just over 316000 kms on it and the previous owner did change the timing belt. I'm not to familar with cars and evan less with anything diesel. I was wondering if there are any tips on the DO's and DON'Ts for that particular model?

I also have a problem with the fuel injection pump, there is a leak on the opposite side of where the belt connects to the pump, it is a cap that is attached by 4 hexagon screws. It is pretty accessible and likely just needs the gasket replaced. My questions are:

What kind of pump is on on the 91' diesel jetta (no turbo)?

Has anyone had this problem before?

cheers guys.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Pump leaks are pretty common with the cars being this age. Both of the ones that Jason and I have/had needed to have the pumps resealed. I'm sure he'll chime in here soon... it's not a difficult job.

Congrats on the purchase! :cool:

bettajetta_11

TDI
Thanks man,

Do you know what the specific model and make of the fuel injection pump is so I can narrow down which repair kit I need to buy?

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Do you know what the specific model and make of the fuel injection pump is so I can narrow down which repair kit I need to buy?
You have a Bosch VE IDI injection pump, and Bosch seal kit DGK 126 does 'em all. It does not include the front seal...but wherever you get the kit from will also have the front seal. Lots of good vendors on this site in the vendors section that can help you out.