New-to-me 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Well, this pass weekend at TDI Fest, I bought compu_85's 91 ECOdiesel. I have to say, he's kept it super clean and done some pretty nice mods to it. So far I've been getting about 39 mpg. It's going to turn 400,000 miles this weekend... still going strong. I love this little car! Mk2 Über Alles! :D

Mod List:
  • 9mm NA injection pump
  • Fuel screw turned up as far as it will go without significantly increasing idle speed
  • B3 GLX / Corrado leather steering wheel
  • Turbo Diesel instrument cluster with tachometer and 24 hour clock
  • timed intermittent wiper relay
  • time delay dome light
  • eCode headlights with blacked out housings
  • Mk3 "TREK" interior
  • black carpet (black door cards coming soon)
  • Helios central locking
  • blue LED gauge lighting and red LED switch lighting
  • 2.5" straight-pipe exhaust w/ 2.25" custom downpipe
  • Koni Blue Sport springs
  • Koni Red adjustable shocks
  • Boost gauge
Project List (to do):
  • Repair air conditioning
  • new head liner, probably black suede
  • fix all body rust (none on the underside, just cosmetic) and repaint Helios Blue
  • some brake work, including larger front brakes
  • install Infinity BassLink in the trunk and new head unit (current one doesn't have any aux in/out ports)
  • factory trunk spoiler
  • Install factory fog lights
Wish List:
  • VNT 17/22 turbo with pressure controlled VNT actuator
  • Giles TD injection pump
  • 6-speed conversion :D

Last edited:

ibanix

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 5spd
Congrats on your purchase. Sounds like at lot of fun :D

I've got a VNT15 if you want, you'll need the source a different acutator. I'm willing to let it go for a low price; send me a PM.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Thanks ibanix! I need to get a couple of things done before I start thinking about the turbo. Perhaps I'll have some money stashed away next month so that I can buy it and store it in the garage until I'm ready to tackle the upgrade.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Nice milestone for the ECOdiesel tonight. 400,000 miles :cool:

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
That's a lot of miles on that block without a re ring . Someone used the right oil in that one for it still to be able to run ,,,,,,, Most of those give up the ghost far short of 200k , will not crank in the cold . I've only seen that engine go that far after a couple of re ringings .

Use a HC mix refrigerant no changes will be required in oil or seals to the system . It is a Just drop it right in replacement , I use Red Teck R-12a in CFC & HFC systems . It works great /////////much better than a HFC and almost as good as a CFC @ 1/10 the cost of R-12 .

I've owned a couple of these so I know them well if you need any help with details . It is easy to boost the opening pressure of the injectors if you have the parts , I've done it many times . This really helps with cold weather starts , higher pressure means hotter fuel . I have a close friend with a pop off tester and a tray of those adjustment washers .

This engine also has the same type of low mass turbo as the 1Z TDI . So a lot of power is available at very low rpms . With an inter cooler just under 90 hp is possible , Audi pulled low to mid 80s hp out this engine in the last of the super IDIs . I can't recall the exact numbers but they were much higher than the standard 1.6 TDs 68 hp / 98 lb-ft . Note this engine was rated without the turbo pump @ 59 hp / 88 lb-ft US spec 1.6 Eco-Diesel ( Um Welt ) .

valvecrusher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat, '00 Jetta
VeeDubTDI said:
Nice milestone for the ECOdiesel tonight. 400,000 miles :cool:
if your mileage is similar to my '92 at 40mpg....you just reached

10000 gallons, or about a half fill of a 20x40 swimming pool...

Congrats on that milestone...

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Sad I couldn't have made it to 400k... but glad the car made it :)

As far as I know it's never been re-ringed. I posted pictures of the valves and cam earlier, they all look great. She fires right up even in the cold Michigan winters, so I don't think anything in VA will be a problem ;)

The AC is dead because all the lines are missing. VeeDubTDI got a full R134A conversion kit along with the car, next spring we'll get it going on R134A. Yes, I know it's not as efficient as R12. But it's standard and can be serviced anywhere.

-Jason

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Mine has never been reringed either, at 416k. Starts immediately, hot or cold. Does not hardly use any oil either. :D

Mine even has the original CLUTCH still! But that is getting pretty sketchy.... :eek:

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
oilhammer said:
Mine has never been re ringed either, at 416k. Starts immediately, hot or cold. Does not hardly use any oil either. :D

Mine even has the original CLUTCH still! But that is getting pretty sketchy.... :eek:
With the correct oil I've heard of but never seen 600k miles before it would not crank in the cold . But I did make a lot of money in the late 80s to late 90s on these with warn out cylinders & rings . All were far short of the 200k mile mark , a few were around the 100k mile mark and a couple under the 100k mark .

A lot of diesels died before their time after the fuel switch in 92 when many oils suddenly stopped meeting diesel spec without warning . Had a friend that worked at Mobil oil at the time so I was warned that many were loosing their diesel certification due to the ppm fuel switch . I had been dieseling for years , had 5 at the time of the switch over so I was prepared motor oil wise when the fuel switch happened and told as many as I could reach about the issue . But many didn't get the message and a lot engines payed the price .

I've been a stickler about the right oil since my Porsche days and on these it is the only way to go . I had an 82 Audi 4000 D that made the 300k mark in a friends hands before the body rusted away .

VeeDubTDI

TDI
42.65 MPG on the last tank. Up from Jason's average of 38 MPG. :cool:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
VeeDubTDI said:
42.65 MPG on the last tank. Up from Jason's average of 38 MPG. :cool:
Hey, that is about what I got from TheGrove's RC2 B5 on the way back from Pittsburgh yesterday... 80 MPH, A/C, slushbox, and all! :p

VeeDubTDI

TDI
oilhammer said:
Hey, that is about what I got from TheGrove's RC2 B5 on the way back from Pittsburgh yesterday... 80 MPH, A/C, slushbox, and all! :p
Yes, but does the B5 spin 4000+ rpms @ 80? ;)

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
CentralFloridaTDIguy said:
so they offered Autotragics, DSGs and the like so the lazy American car buyer might buy it?;)
The DSG has it's roots in shift-o-matics of the 70s . And is loosely based on the Audi Quatro racer super car of the 80s sharing many improved parts based on that clutch less shifter . It was specifically designed for performance , for the fastest shifts possible in a race car not for fuel economy improvements in an automatic . A side effect of those performance characteristics is that it's many times more fuel efficient than a slush box automatic . However not as durable as a regular slush box requiring as much as 4 times the maintenance of a slush box .

Something else on the current slusher TDI A4s running around the US . They use a 2 fluid system to improve efficiency which leads directly to fluid mix and failure at some point . Using one fluid would improve their life expectancy but at the cost of fuel economy . This has always been an issue with auto trans used by VWAG on their drive trains . I have close to 25 years of dealing with this issue in VWs , Audis & Volvo's all had this fluid mixing failure issue at some point in their service life .

The DSG was specifically redesigned to work on diesels so it could be mainly sold in the US . We got it here in the NB before anyone else in the world did . The NB had the worst of all mpg penalty from the slush box automatic in real world mpgs .

So yes the DSG in a diesel is a German Vwonder auto box engineered specifically for sale in the US market in the diesel .

Germans car engineers by the way think we are nuts for wanting an automatic in a diesel car . Installing an automatic in a car diesel is counterintuitive when it comes to looking for maximum mpgs which is why diesel drive trains are installed in a car in the first place :confused: . I don't get that one either ............ go to the trouble of buying a diesel car for fuel economy then stick an automatic in it ????????

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
rotarykid said:
The DSG has it's roots in shift-o-matics of the 70s . And is loosely based on the Audi Quatro racer super car of the 80s sharing many improved parts based on that clutch less shifter . It was specifically designed for performance , for the fastest shifts possible in a race car not for fuel economy improvements in an automatic . A side effect of those performance characteristics is that it's many times more fuel efficient than a slush box automatic . However not as durable as a regular slush box requiring as much as 4 times the maintenance of a slush box .

Something else on the current slusher TDI A4s running around the US . They use a 2 fluid system to improve efficiency which leads directly to fluid mix and failure at some point . Using one fluid would improve their life expectancy but at the cost of fuel economy . This has always been an issue with auto trans used by VWAG on their drive trains . I have close to 25 years of dealing with this issue in VWs , Audis & Volvo's all had this fluid mixing failure issue at some point in their service life .

The DSG was specifically redesigned to work on diesels so it could be mainly sold in the US . We got it here in the NB before anyone else in the world did . The NB had the worst of all mpg penalty from the slush box automatic in real world mpgs .

So yes the DSG in a diesel is a German Vwonder auto box engineered specifically for sale in the US market in the diesel .

Germans car engineers by the way think we are nuts for wanting an automatic in a diesel car . Installing an automatic in a car diesel is counterintuitive when it comes to looking for maximum mpgs which is why diesel drive trains are installed in a car in the first place :confused: . I don't get that one either ............ go to the trouble of buying a diesel car for fuel economy then stick an automatic in it ????????
People want the economy but most don't know how to drive a manual. Most aren't taught how to drive a manual. The more time passes in the U.S., the fewer people actually know how to drive a manual.

I've worked in tire shops where most of the new employees have to be taught the basics of manual trans operation on the job... sad, but they were simply never taught. Driver's ed uses automatics. Most parents don't have manual trans cars so the kids are simply never exposed to it.

But, back on topic! Best of luck on the ECO, Lawson. I hope it'll be on the road for another 400k (especially after I put a lot of work into it myself when Jason still owned it!). Good little car. We all miss it the car here in Michigan! Lots of character ;)

Enjoy the decklid spoiler! I got it with my "freakodiesel" Jetta. I didn't want it at first because I don't like the idea of drilling holes in my trunklid. But I kinda want to put one on myself now!

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Well, the heater core decided to spring a leak this afternoon. I have it bypassed for now, but I'm going to have to get it fixed ASAP, as winter is fast approaching.

As car54 and I were fiddling around under the hood (bypassing the core), he noticed something quite suspicious... GREEN COOLANT! :eek: I'm very disappointed in you, Jason! Both of your fine German automobiles have the wrong coolant.
I thought you were more OCD and anal retentive than that. ;)

VeeDubTDI

TDI
oilhammer said:
Get a new center HVAC case when you do the heater core! Trust me, you'll be glad you did! :p
Will do!

Part # 191-820-353

zuks90idi

Veteran Member
TDI
07 Dodge, 01 B5.5, 99.5 mk4 ALH, 04 Tourage
Good stuff man.

That little 1.6 TD is a great powerplant as you already know.

When you decide to upgrade turbo's you may want to consider a larger version of the VNT. Maybe a 17 or 20. They seem to be a bit harder to find however. I suspect the 15 would be a good all around turbo so I guess it just depends on what your goals are.
Oh ya. ARP head studs are almost mandatory as well.

Oh your heater core.

A bud of mine just replaced his heater core last week and while there rather than replacing the entire thing he took some Hobie shop felt paper with adhesive on the back side of it to redo the felt on the flappers. Turned out really nice.

Keep up the good work.

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
For that VW you can get coil-overs to lower the suspension and taller tires to lower the RPM's on the highway...

There is a lot of aftermarket stuff on the British and German magazines @Barnes/Borders.

Keep on and on w/the Eco DIESEL...

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Coilovers would be sweeeeeeeeet :D

I think I should have this heater situation resolved by the end of the month.

91JettaTDI

TDI
1991 Jetta
I too have a '91 Eco diesel, just acquired, and am goin' through it and fixin' the obvious and would appreciate any caveats as to maintenance. It has 105K miles. I'm in the middle of redoing the belts, etc., and intrigued by the references to "the right oil" in this thread.

What IS this right oil :)

By the way, I see postings occasionally from owners to which I'd like to correspond. Is this allowed and if so, how is it done ?

Also, why are some allowed to post attachment pictures and others not ?

Thanks,
Courtney

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The right oil will be 5w40. Any oil of that weight will meet the specs for that engine.

Don't neglect the timing belt!

As a note to Lawson's TDI we did the heater core 2 weeks ago... what a PITA! Ended up having to take the whole dash out.

-Jason

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Yes, the heater core is in, and the airbox flappers have been redone with duct tape! Talk about quality. ;)

Also, oil change with Rotella T, new tires, sporty alignment courtesy of Matt-98AHU (extra camber!!), the TREK interior is completely installed, alternator belt is tightened up, the nasty green coolant has been flushed out and replaced with G11, and the rattling heat shield where the muffler used to be has been removed. :cool:

It's more fun to drive than ever before, and the alignment is amazing!

Thanks to the a2tdigroup for all of their help!