New tires

toastyjosh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 silver 2door golf
We the time has come to get new tires! I have the 195/65r15s and have been looking for a while. I wanted to know what you guys thought.

So I have been looking at Eagle Sport All-Season (V-Speed Rated), frrom tire rack. Want to know if anyone has been running them.

I would like to buy a american made tire if I can help it.

Thanks

drcoopster

Veteran Member
TDI
EcoDiesel
I ran General Altimax RT tires on my Jetta and will probably put them (or the new RT43s) on the new Passat when the Hankooks wear out. American-made, too, I think. Obviously, I'm not too concerned about snow down here in Texas, so I have a set of steelies with snows that I use if I'm heading out to snow country.

Last edited:

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Don't assume the brand name tells you where the tire was made. At the Tirerack site, you can click on the tire specifications, and it will tell you where the tire was made. Often it varies by size.

drcoopster

Veteran Member
TDI
EcoDiesel
Don't assume the brand name tells you where the tire was made. At the Tirerack site, you can click on the tire specifications, and it will tell you where the tire was made. Often it varies by size.
Good point. General is an American tire company (actually a part of Continental, which is German), and they have a factory in Illinois, but many of their tires are made elsewhere (Mexico, Brazil, Portugal, France, Romania, etc.).

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You might look at Bridgestone Ecopias. I've had Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S tires on my wagon, but got Ecopias for the Passat. The Ecopias are grippy, ride very well (better than the Michelins), and are quiet. I'd consider them next time for the wagon, although I have two nearly new sets of summer tires now, so it may be a while. :)

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
+1 on the Ecopias, though I have the "summer-only" version that apparently has been discontinued. Very quiet (though they don't like longitudinal road grooves any better than any other tire) and I've had no issues with grip, even through standing water. I know someone else on the forum suggests avoiding the Ecopias at all costs, but he's likely using the all-season version and, anyway, hasn't said why (that I can find), so I find the suggestion without merit.

jptbay

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle, 2006 Jetta Wagon
That tire looks pretty good as well. Slightly lower mileage warranty, weight and speed rating, but for $59 a tire how can you go wrong!?

toastyjosh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 silver 2door golf
Yea its a hard call. The Falkens have a lower treadwear at 480 Vs 600 traction and temp are both a A and the speed on the falken is a H which is 130 compared to the T of the generals which is 118.
However the $50 card you get with the general is a great deal.:confused:

drcoopster

Veteran Member
TDI
EcoDiesel
What's the big deal about speed rating? Both H (130mph) and T (118mph) should be more than sufficient.

It sounds like you know that the Generals will last you longer but you really want the Falkens.

temporaptor

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta TDI 11 335D M-Sport
I prefer the Eagle GT's on mine. excellent traction, they really shine when wet compared to other tires Ive run. I had Michelin Primacy's before, they were a good tires and lasted forever (over 80,000 miles) but didn't grip like I wanted (even new). But keep in mind i like a performance tire over an economy tire (low rolling resistance).

toastyjosh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 silver 2door golf
yea I like the feel of a preformance tire also. Its good to get some info about the eagle gts. I am down to the eagles gts or the falkens right now.

most of the time I need good dry traction, but I deal with wet roads a fair amont as well. Some snow a few days here and there, I have a tacoma for the real snowy days.

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
+1 for the Goodyear Eagle GT, they are fantastic, wet, dry and snow. Had them for 1.5 years now and still plenty of thread left, they just grip everywhere!