New Tires for 09 tdi

wesk1954

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
I would be interested in knowing if any other 09 TDI'ers that have the factory original Bridgestone tires are beginning to notice significant noise. I rotated mine every 10K, and at the 30K rotation, noticed a significant increase in road noise which partially subsided after a couple thousand miles. But then at the 40K rotation, it turned into a ROAR, and especially at load speeds. So loud you could almost feel it - so loud that anyone in the car would comment.

So I bit the bullet and even though the tires had LOTS of tread remaining, I installed new tires (Goodyear) this past week.... Aaaah, silence is truly golden.

But considering that I have performed the recommended rotations, had no obvious signs of thread cupping or unusual wear, I'm curious if others are beginning to notice.

Admittedly I drive more than average, but there are others in the TDIcLUB that drive as much as me, and I'd be particularly interested in hearing from you guys (and gals).

Thanks,

Wes

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
It would be interesting to know how many miles per 1/32 in wear that you get. So if the www.tirerack.com 11/32 in specifications for the oem Bridgestone Turanza EL 400-2 are correct, one can estimate @ what x/32 in the roar starts. How many y/32 in left is a whole other discussion. All the best !

wesk1954

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
Too bad the tires are gone or I would have asked the shop to measure the remaining tread. But I can tell you that visually they had 15-20K remaining. They looked great, no where near the wear bars.

Wes

chops_555

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI 6spd manual Build date: 09/08
I haven't really experienced anything with mine, but I do have the Contis. I currently have about 32500 miles on mine.

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
Every conti I've driven develops noise at about 35,000.

After the factory tires wear out, I've usually replaced them with Michelin Hydroedge and have been very happy with them.