New Timing belt brakes after ~300 miles

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
BigAndy said:
ooks like you guys have chased Mr Broken Belt off his thread as well.
That's too bad. Now is when he really needs some help, repairing the damage.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
It looks like he asks for help then argues with everyone... Kind of like the guy from out of town that asks for directions and tells me I'm wrong when I tell him where he needs to go..

Look at his past threads/posts... He's been given good solid advice a number of times but he refuses to follow any of it...

Ray_G

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI
whitedog said:
Does this Prothe person provide tools as well?
He sells tools. That is acutally how I found him a long time ago. I bought a set of his A4 tools. They work. But they look like he made them in his basement with a vice and hammer. Not quality tools at all. The funny thing is that I have his spanner wrench for the tensioners. I have a Stahlwillie brand one as well. I wore the Stahlwillie brand wrench out. I have been using his spanner. I prefer the shape of his even though it is crude. But last time I used it one of the pins came loose. I tightened it up. But it wore out in about half the time as the Stahlwillie brand so I am in the market for that tool again.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Did the injection pump sieze?

Just looking at the previous thread and the starting issues you had.

DB

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
It seems longer, but it's only been 48 hours since johndeereranger last posted. So let's give him a chance to respond.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
TornadoRed said:
Then everything in Prothe's eBay store should send up a red flag. Turbos and injection pumps for less than $300, nozzles for $60, etc.
there are many factories making good VW parts in China. They are supplied to the VWs assembled in China. But there are also factroies that counterfeit those parts.
You will be surprised how many "reputable" on line vedors sell those same Chinese parts for a premium.

johndeereranger

TDI
1999.5 Jetta
I just didn't check my email over the weekend sorry for not keepin the action going

I've scanned over the posts..

First off it's a different car that the earlier thread a few months ago.

Who knows about small claims courts and being out of state?

I want to take this to court. The guy even refuses to refund my money and will only send parts. Parts of which i care to not touch.

bayshorecs

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Golf
You are not answering the questions the mechanics are asking you about your car, why would you take the advice of the mechanics for legal matters???

You continue to ignore questions asked of you and appear to be very biased in your responses.

Call a lawyer.

johndeereranger

TDI
1999.5 Jetta
ninedee_golf_tdi said:
That is one reason I do not provide parts but install what the customer brings except for the eMiata quality stuff. Speaking of which, have we ever learned the manufacturer of the belt or the supplier ? No one on here is going to be offended if they sold you a belt and it broke. They might ask your qualifications to install the belt though.
The supplier never asked who installed it or anything of that sort just said i'll send parts.. (after 5 days of harassment)

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
How many miles on this 1999.5 Jetta TDI?

Ray_G

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI
Small claims court and being out of state. I can tell you that in some cases you can file the claim in your state, in other cases you have to file in the other parties state. From what I have seen there seems to be different laws in different states governing this issue. In other words call a lawyer, or at least talk to the small claims court and they should be able to tell you. If you ordered the parts online and you feel that fraud is involved you can file here:
http://www.ic3.gov/
After you file there your state attorney generals office will send you some forms to get the ball rolling. I just have no idea if that site applies to this or not.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
johndeereranger said:
First off it's a different car that the earlier thread a few months ago.
On January 24th, you had a fuel problem with a 1999.5 Jetta TDI with 85k miles. After much encouragement, you said you replaced the TB and it still didn't start. We never did find out how everything turned out with that Jetta.

On April 24th, you had a turbo actuator problem with a 1999.5 Jetta TDI with 64k miles. We never found out how that turned out, either.

Now you have a problem with a 1999.5 Jetta TDI with 130k miles.

You sure go through a lot of 1999.5 Jetta TDIs -- and have such bad luck with each and every one of them.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
TornadoRed said:
On January 24th, you had a fuel problem with a 1999.5 Jetta TDI with 85k miles. After much encouragement, you said you replaced the TB and it still didn't start. We never did find out how everything turned out with that Jetta.

On April 24th, you had a turbo actuator problem with a 1999.5 Jetta TDI with 64k miles. We never found out how that turned out, either.

Now you have a problem with a 1999.5 Jetta TDI with 130k miles.

You sure go through a lot of 1999.5 Jetta TDIs -- and have such back luck with each and every one of them.
Must have a big driveway. ;)

But seriously, I guess you need to try and prove your case in court, which so far you have given very little to us in support of your claim of "it wasn't my fault".

We are STILL waiting on the brand of the belt, and my simple question of whether or not the cam and pump sprockets were loose during tensioning of said belt. :cool:

cconrad

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
I went through this list, and I gotta say I would not have the patients most of you have shown this johndeereranger fella.

He seems to not want to answer where the belt came from, or brand, and worse of all he comes off as arrogant when you give him quality help and information.

Hate to say it, but he seems to be a big waste of resources. As TornadoRed points out, he has a history of 1999.5 Jetta problems......

johndeereranger

TDI
1999.5 Jetta
You might wanna go back and check the dates of those three Jetta's.... That might help you out a little bit.... the 64k was posted in another year.. SO that would reduce the #'s down to two.

And with 12 acres yes... I got all the space in to grow that i need.

johndeereranger

TDI
1999.5 Jetta
cconrad said:
I went through this list, and I gotta say I would not have the patients most of you have shown this johndeereranger fella.

He seems to not want to answer where the belt came from, or brand, and worse of all he comes off as arrogant when you give him quality help and information.

Hate to say it, but he seems to be a big waste of resources. As TornadoRed points out, he has a history of 1999.5 Jetta problems......
I'm not answering where the belt came from it was a vendor (i'm not going to trash the vendor)

As for the history of 1999.5 Jetta problems.... Well TornadoRed has the wrong year on one of them...

If that is arrogent well... find another thread

I appreciate all the help that has stayed on topic!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
johndeereranger said:
You might wanna go back and check the dates of those three Jetta's.... That might help you out a little bit.... the 64k was posted in another year.. SO that would reduce the #'s down to two.
You're right, sorry about that. The turbo actuator problem was in April 2007. My apologies.

Whatever happened to that 1999.5 Jetta TDI? I assume the problems in April 2007 and January 2008 happened with the same car? And then you bought a different one?

Bosley

Veteran Member
TDI
06 TDI Wagon (A4)
Would you not first have to have the parts tested by an independent lab to see if in fact they were faulty before you even think about taking something like this to court?

johndeereranger

TDI
1999.5 Jetta
Bosley said:
Would you not first have to have the parts tested by an independent lab to see if in fact they were faulty before you even think about taking something like this to court?
Do you know where one of those would be this thought had crossed my mind. I would do this if anyone has a suggested place?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Before trying to locate an independent lab, why not post photos of all the parts in the timing belt path as you remove them: the TB, the tensioner while still in place and after removal, the roller/idlers, the water pump.

As mentioned previously, timing belts don't normally break -- something else in the path, something that's supposed to turn, stops turning. I don't know if I've ever heard of this causing a TB to break, exactly, though it has caused a TB to melt. But something put more stress on the belt than it was designed to handle -- unless the construction was flawed, then it would have to get past a number of inspections. Including the final inspection, before you installed it.

You don't have to name the supplier, but what is wrong with identifying the brand name of the TB? That way we can warn others against using that brand.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Your local experts in the Atlanta area:

Atlanta northside: Troy Sentz, Canton, GA 570.233.1385
TDI Club username TNTKNC

Atlanta southside: Roger Feldt 678.907.4221

I don't know whether either one wants to get involved at this point. But if you want your engine repaired properly, those are guys to see.

Bosley

Veteran Member
TDI
06 TDI Wagon (A4)
johndeereranger said:
Do you know where one of those would be this thought had crossed my mind. I would do this if anyone has a suggested place?
I'm sure that there are labs in your area that could do the work. But it would cost you more than the value of the car. If you did get a positive report you would have to pay the lab more for the time and trouble to get the lab tech to court to then get him/her qualified as a expert in this particular testing by the court, etc. I really don't think that the costs are practical in a case like this. It just won't pay.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
If I understand it right, the belts are manufactured by wrapping the tensile strand over a very wide drum. This makes a single belt that is many times wider than the final product. Then individual belts are sliced off the wide belt. So the belt does not have a joint. The tensile fiber winds itself along the length, with the fiber ends exposed on each side of the belt.

This makes it very unlikely for the belt to actually snap cleanly across its width.

Unless it was pinched to a very small radius, or if it was grossly overloaded.

Usually if it is grossly overloaded, the fibers hold and teeth strip off.

If the belt was made with a joint, it might be a cheap knockoff.

A good forensics lab could analyze the break. And test the tensile strength. And compare it to other belts. But this will probably cost near what a new head does. Forensic labs are NOT cheap.

JDRanger: At least post what brand the belt is marked with. That should be no problem even as you negotiate with the vendor. That information could be very helpful to others on this site.

-Eric

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
And the vendor is likely to claim improper install, which as this thread drags out and the OP refuses to answer some simple questions that I for one have asked twice now, it becomes clearer and clearer that this must be yet another installer error.