New TDI Project, need some advise

zeke5551

TDI
I'm on my 4rth TDI Jetta, it's a 2002 Auto car with a 163k. It's the second auto car and I prefer a manual, plus the car is pretty beat up. I have this really cool '65 Datsun 320NL PU and I'm going to use the TDI in it with a 5 speed. I'm getting ready to buy adapters and figure out the harness. I have a nice 55k mile 5speed out of a 2wd Geo Tracker and a hi milage '84 toyota pu trans of unknown condition. I also have several GM T5s. I really like the T5s, but the adapters are about 2x the Suzuki/Geo adapter. Also, I've heard there are guys that convert the FCU to manual, eliminating the wiring and computers. What is your thoughts? I'm about to get the credit card out! I've got a guy who wants to buy the car without the engine, but doesn't want me to cut up the car harness. I've done several GM TPI and LS conversions. This will be my first TDI. I have a Morris Minor Convert and Woodie and I'm thinking a TDI would fit good in those if it works out on my Datsun. What you guys think

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Leave the engine TDI for smooth running and economy. I don't know much about geo and Zuk transmissions but Yota has plenty of strong 2wd transmissions and the 22r 22re was made decades so spares won't be an issue to find .

Sounds like a sweet project. The TDI is a very tall motor, make sure you have plenty of clearance to clear the chassis/body with the engine and trans bolted together.

I'm using a hybrid steel and aluminum with matching low profile oil pickup as it was the lowest clearance I could find. A steel pan might give some more room for massaging but it lacks the structural integrity the pan is designed to provide on these blocks.

zeke5551

TDI
I've been looking for good toyota 5 speed, but most of them a few hundred thousand miles, the tracker 5 speed only has 55k on it. The 320 datsun is pretty tall under the hood. I better double check, thanks

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
The 22re was produced from 81 iirc until 1995, but usually you're right, yotas hit 250k before they are broken in.

zeke5551

TDI
Pretty amazing, measured eveything out looks like I'll only have to flip the center steering link to the bottom and everything will fit. I'll have to relocate the oil filter and possibly the alterator.

zeke5551

TDI
I haven't actually seen a conversion yet and still need a few answers, On my donor car there are some vacuum lines and valves above the turbo and against the firewall. Will I have to use these and what do they do? Also I need some one to delete the security system and any unneeded things. I asked on another post and got no response. Are the radiator fans controlled by the comuputer?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
The radiator isn't controlled by anything other than the thermostat and water pump. I used the factory 87 4 runner radiator for my swap. As for the radiator fan, it's controlled by a temp sensor. I used an inline hose sensor paired with an aftermarket fan for my set up. I also added a trinary switch for controlling the fan when the ac is on.

There are many tuners here that can tune/disable the imob on your ECU for the swap as well as make a stand alone harness if you don't want to do it yourself. I used faast forward automotive and put cruise control on my Toyota.

I believe you're talking about the n75 with all the hoses and a small sensor (I'm not familiar with the ALH, I have BHW motors). If it is the n75 you need to keep it to control your turbo wastegate.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Also with the ALH an oil relocation kit is available iirc. I was able to keep my factory cooler in my swap so I never researched it but I believe I saw one on the tdiupgrades site.

TDI
2006 Jetta BRM - 1983 Toyota 2wd BRM swap (In Progress)
I’m using a R150 for my Toyota swap with a BRM - bigger clutch and better 5th gear. Might be some thing to look into before drop some cash on the plate. The Bentley manuals have good wiring diagrams as well