New Sunoco truckstop I-93 Exit 5 Londonderry NH

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
A friend of mine recently told me about a new place to get diesel fuel in NH. I checked it out over the weekend.

A brand new Sunoco truck stop opened 3 weeks ago in Londonderry NH on Route 28, right off I-93 Exit 5. It is set up to be a high volume & high turnover station for diesel fuel. All of the pumps for the gassers are in front of the convenience store. All of the DIESEL pump islands are on the back side for the big rigs and other diesel vehicles. The diesel pumps also have DEF pumps beside them. What I like about the setup is that all of the diesel pumps are well separated from the mob of gassers, like they should be.

RMZ Truck Stop Inc
137 Rockingham Rd
Londonderry, NH 03053
(603) 437-9929

EDIT: Just looked at the street view on Google Maps and it shows the OLD Sunoco station. That station has been completely replaced by the new truck stop.

This is in a great location for lots of truck traffic along I-93. It is in a prime spot for the widening of I-93 from 2 lanes to 4 lanes each way. The I-93 widening project has been going on for several years and will be going on for several more years to come. The truck stop appears to be well positioned for future growth in the area.

The truck stop has a convenience store, Red Arrow 24 hr Diner, and Liquor Store. My g/f Lisa and I ate the Red Arrow Diner there over the weekend and the food was good.

Red Arrow Diner info: www.redarrowdiner.com

Last edited:

lag_lag_bye...

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI, 6M, Black - (SOLD)
Thanks for the info, I drive through that corridor a lot! Any insight as to whether the diesel price per gallon will be competitive since it is meant to be a high turnover station?

I usually hit the Irving at Exit 9N. It has a Dunks, car wash, and a cigar shop just across the street (Twins Smoke shop). All of your New England needs in one place! I usually have to wait for a gasser to get out of the way on one of the two pumps with diesel though...

n1das

TDI
The diesel price is about the same as everywhere else in the area. I topped off the 535d there on Sunday (3/22/15) and the price was $3.059/USgallon.

I made the mistake of pulling up to one of the big nozzle truck pumps instead of the auto diesel pump on the opposite side of the same lane. The attendant told me that when I went inside to prepay for my fuel. It was no problem because I used the adapter funnel that BMW thoughtfully supplied with the car. The attendant didn't question my being at a diesel pump with my CAR instead of a truck. He found it cool that it was a BMW diesel instead of a gasser. I was expecting to be told that I was at the wrong pumps and needed to go to the gas (only) pumps in front of the building.

The pumps in the front of the building are gasoline-only pumps. Thankfully there are no diesel pumps where the mob of gassers fill up. All of the diesel pumps are in back where the trucks fuel up. The diesel pumps are kept well away from the gassers....like they should be! :cool:

My g/f and I ate at the Red Arrow Diner there to check it out. We've been long time Red Arrow Diner customers at the Milford NH location at the oval in the center of town.

This truck stop is a little bit out of my way so I won't be fueling up there often. I wanted to at least check it out and give the TDI community a heads up about a good place to fuel up in NH.

n1das

TDI
I usually hit the Irving at Exit 9N. It has a Dunks, car wash, and a cigar shop just across the street (Twins Smoke shop). All of your New England needs in one place! I usually have to wait for a gasser to get out of the way on one of the two pumps with diesel though...
There is also an Irving station directly across the street from the Sunoco truck stop. I expect these two stations will get into a price war to get the business. The location is a good one for lots of truck traffic since it's only a quarter mile from I-93 and that stretch of highway is planned to be widened to 4 lanes each way in a few years.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
You guys made it sound like there giving fuel away lol. Diesel fuel vehicles is not as rare as maybe 10 or so years ago I wouldn't worry to much about the high turnover issues.

bajan

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
Sorry, no advantage to me to have all the diesel pumps located away from the gas pumps. Two of the stops on the Jersey turnpike have this arrangement and I have never been able to get diesel at either station. Why? Four or five trucks in line to get diesel each taking ten minutes or more to fill up. At other stations the diesel is the last one in the line and no one is ever there. I have driven around six-seven gassers waiting to fill up while I pulled up to the diesel.

n1das

TDI
You guys made it sound like there giving fuel away lol. Diesel fuel vehicles is not as rare as maybe 10 or so years ago I wouldn't worry to much about the high turnover issues.

bajan
Since fuel quality is absolutely EVERYTHING when it comes to ensuring long and reliable pump and injector life, I DO care about fuel turnover issues. I specifically look for high turnover stations along major routes to help prevent getting a tank of bad fuel or fuel that hasn't been winterized yet. I fuel up ONLY at high turnover stations and regularly use an additive (Howes Lubricator Diesel Treat is my favorite). It is not uncommon for a busy truck stop along a major route to do more than $30k in diesel business in a single day. These stations get fresh fuel delivered almost daily otherwise they'll run out.

I specifically avoid stations that rarely get any diesel business, no matter how tempting the slightly lower price per gallon may be. A single tank fuel contaminated by free water from condensation especially during winter is all it takes to do a lot of damage in a short amount of time. In the worst case scenario the damage can be done in a matter of minutes. Not worth the risk IMHO.

I don't obsess over it and it's just a simple rule that I follow and has worked well. Going on 13 years and over 700k miles of diesel car ownership and absolutely ZERO fuel related issues.

I won't be fueling up at this station often because it's a bit out of my way. It caught my attention after a friend of mine told me about it opening up and decided to check it out and give the TDIclub community a heads up on another place to get fuel along a busy corridor in NH.

Last edited:

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
I've been going there for years and then switched to the Irving across the street when it opened. I expect that I will certainly be filling up at the NH Liquor Store quite frequently. :D

n1das

TDI
Highly recommend this truck stop in NH

BUMP!

With all the threads popping up in the forums recently about fuel gelling but are actually ICING problems due to WATER IN FUEL :eek:, I thought I would give this thread a BUMP.

This truck stop has emerged as my favorite station to fuel up at in southern NH even though it is 25 miles from home. It has very high turnover of diesel fuel as the station has a constant flow of truck traffic. The auto diesel pump I use is grouped with all of the truck diesel pumps and is fed by the same tank. All of the diesel pumps are grouped together and away from the gas pumps in front. The station appears to get way more diesel business than the Irving station across the street and the two stations appear to be engaged in a price war. I paid $1.949/USgallon for D2 tonight.

This truck stop has emerged as #1 on my "approved vendor list" for getting diesel fuel. :cool:

I have never been inside the NH State Liquor store but frequent the Red Arrow Diner there. :)

Last edited:

n1das

TDI
There is also an Irving station directly across the street from the Sunoco truck stop. I expect these two stations will get into a price war to get the business. The location is a good one for lots of truck traffic since it's only a quarter mile from I-93 and that stretch of highway is planned to be widened to 4 lanes each way in a few years.
The truck stop previously was a Sunoco gas station with a large lot in back for trucks to park there. Last time I checked Google Street View in Google Maps it showed the old gas station. New imagery showing the truck stop may be available now. Given the strategic location and the widening project for I-93, it was a smart business move for the owner to tear down the old Sunoco gas station and build a new Sunoco truck stop.

lag_lag_bye...

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI, 6M, Black - (SOLD)
I've been to this Sunoco station at exit 5 a couple of times now, and must mention that the car diesel pump does not have a payment system integrated into it. Thus, you must go inside to pay for your fuel (which isn't so bad in the winter).

I have been filling up recently at the Irving station in Bedford, NH right off rt 114. I filled up on Feb 17, 2016 at $1.859/gal, which is hilariously cheap. I've noticed that this station also gets a lot of traffic and throughput on the diesel pump, since it's the last diesel pump before heading north on rt 114. There is also a school bus parking lot across the street, and I've seen multiple delivery trucks and commercial vehicles fueling up there. If you're looking for cheap diesel fuel, this is the cheapest I've found west of Manchester, NH...

n1das

TDI
I'm not concerned about price as much as I am about avoiding water from condensation. I have a Shell gas station w/diesel 0.6 miles from home but I purposely do not fuel up there. The design of the station is such that it can't handle big rig traffic and it's always mobbed by gassers. The Sunoco truck stop in Londonderry is 25 miles from home and I'd much rather go there. I look for busy and big rigs only! I only go to the Shell station to use the ATM and occasionally get a few gallons of RUG for my lawnmower and snowblower.

Free water in diesel fuel will kill a HPFP in a CR TDI in no time at all and will do so faster than poor lubricity will. I treat my fuel with Howes Lubricator Diesel Treat additive year round and want to avoid water at ALL costs.

I've never been in the NH State Liquor store but I frequent the Red Arrow Diner. The C-store isn't bad either.

Last edited:

beetlebob

TDI
2000 BEETLE TDI
I've been to this Sunoco station at exit 5 a couple of times now, and must mention that the car diesel pump does not have a payment system integrated into it. Thus, you must go inside to pay for your fuel (which isn't so bad in the winter).

I have been filling up recently at the Irving station in Bedford, NH right off rt 114. I filled up on Feb 17, 2016 at $1.859/gal, which is hilariously cheap. I've noticed that this station also gets a lot of traffic and throughput on the diesel pump, since it's the last diesel pump before heading north on rt 114. There is also a school bus parking lot across the street, and I've seen multiple delivery trucks and commercial vehicles fueling up there. If you're looking for cheap diesel fuel, this is the cheapest I've found west of Manchester, NH...
I drive by that Irving just about everyday. I usually stop at the Irving just down the road across from the womens prison. I haven't had any problems with fuel from either one of the 2 stations.