New self record 62MPG and how I did it

bottlediger

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
Well folks I was on a mission last week to beat 60MPG and I stomped that goal with a 62! My record before that was last winter 57MPG one tank. This last tank that I got 62mpg was about 75% highway 25% city, with BRAND NEW snow tires on the front and pretty badly warn allseasons on the rear all pumped up to 39PSI the wheels are 15 inch stock stealies. Highway driving I set cruse about 50% of the time at 57-54! Thats really hard to do...And the city driving I just babied it. I did just take off my 18in BBS wheels 2 tanks ago and noticed a HUGE increase in MPG and power. I can now crawl up those steep hills no problem with the 15's on but with the 18's it was a lot more difficult.

Take care everyone, and if you have not shot for 60 yet give it a try it feels so good

bottlediger

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
thank you. Break 70 its very possible, I would probly have to drive around 50-55 on the highway in the mid spring when temps are in the 60's and winter fuel is gone and also have some nice lower rolling resistant tires unlike the winter tires I have on currently.

Your right foot, and the wheel/tire combo you choose are the most important part for getting High MPG, along with a well tuned engine

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
bottlediger said:
thank you. Break 70 its very possible, I would probly have to drive around 50-55 on the highway in the mid spring when temps are in the 60's and winter fuel is gone and also have some nice lower rolling resistant tires unlike the winter tires I have on currently.

Your right foot, and the wheel/tire combo you choose are the most important part for getting High MPG, along with a well tuned engine
Congradulations !! It would seem that driving in the engines sweet spot ( full torque @ 1750 rpms ) is a huge variable. It would also seem that 15 in rims are the way to go. Proper psi is also important.

My take is 40-45 mph for 70 mpg. I would be afraid of two things

1. falling asleep
2. some already asleep tractor trailer driver rear ending me! :eek: ;)

Last edited:

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
Where are you located, and are you adjusting miles traveled for different size wheels? Those of us in the north are being subjected to winter fuel for the next 6 months, which kills mileage.

bottlediger

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
ruking, thanks a lot and yes driving at 1750 would help ALOT but your right its kinda scary on the highway!!!

Thunderstruck, i live in york pa we have had winter fuel for a while now and i know it does hurt milage but if you drive slow which is the key you can still get killer MPG. I did not adjust miles traveled for differnt wheel size because the 15's I have on are stock size the 18's are of a GLI. My cruz RMP was mostly at 1950 my speedo was reading about 2mph faster than my GPS

bottlediger

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
also I would like to note this tank was traveled going to North Pa over some seriouse mountains in 20Deg weather Im guessing if it was more flat terain travel I would have got about 65mpg

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
bottlediger said:
I did just take off my 18in BBS wheels 2 tanks ago and noticed a HUGE increase in MPG and power. I can now crawl up those steep hills no problem with the 15's on but with the 18's it was a lot more difficult.
Yet another confirmation that physics isn't just 'theoretical.' Thanks :)

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
bottlediger said:
What, are people saying that wheel size and width doesnt effect mpg?
Constantly. Almost daily. It's a widespread misconception requiring constant rebuttal. Urban myths die hard it seems.

bottlediger

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
:rolleyes: geez... well I for one can def. say there is a huge differnce in swapping my set up. My car feels like a whole differnt beast again with the 15's on, a lot more power freed up and I can drive in the city at much lower cruzing RPM without lugging than when driving with the 18's

boogieman

TDI
'04 Jetta TDI, Gray, Completely stock(unfortunately), including the gay hubcaps, 138,000miles
I just put on a set of toyo observe studdless winter tires which dont not seem to affect milage hardly at all (im averaging 44mpg in mostly city driving, maybe 30-40 percent highway if that, compared to the hard michelins that came with the car pumped up to 45 psi. and I was getting 47-48,in the same driving conditions, in warmer weather, what seems to be getting me most is the idling time due to cold weather.