New ro me 2015 VW Passat TDI.... Weird Vibrating Whining Noise....

GLanzino

TDI
2015 VW Passat TDI
Hey Good Morning Everyone,

I am a new member here, as well as just purchasing my very first TDI. Its a 2015 Passat TDI Highline SEL Sport 6 Speed Manual, its a beautiful car!

I will post some pictures later on.

I did however notice this weird noise and havent been driving it until I have an idea of what it could be.

2015 TDI Weird Noise (
)

2015 VW TDI Weird Noise Part 2 (
)

Any Help would be greatly greatly appreciated!!

Thanks All 😎

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
So converting your 190km to freedom units, you're sitting close to 120K miles, I wonder if that's timing belt sounds, it might be completely normal for warn in rollers or something.

Do you know if the Timing belt or water pump has been replaced? If not I'd say it wouldn't hurt doing that now.

One test is to take off the serp belt, see if the sound goes away, that way you will know it's not that tensioner and peg it down to something with the timing belt area.

You did realize timing belt has 130k mile interval right? kinda sucks to have a $1000USD maintenance item pretty much right after you bought the car.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
First listen (you can use a short piece of hose held up to your ear to isolate the time) to all the rotating assemblies, accessory drive belt and alternator, A/C compressor, power steering pump. Then remove the timing belt cover and listen to those components.

I'd also put your hand on the carpet in front of the driver's seat with the car idling. If you feel vibration in the floor your dual mass flywheel may be failing.

GLanzino

TDI
2015 VW Passat TDI
So converting your 190km to freedom units, you're sitting close to 120K miles, I wonder if that's timing belt sounds, it might be completely normal for warn in rollers or something.

Do you know if the Timing belt or water pump has been replaced? If not I'd say it wouldn't hurt doing that now.

One test is to take off the serp belt, see if the sound goes away, that way you will know it's not that tensioner and peg it down to something with the timing belt area.

You did realize timing belt has 130k mile interval right? kinda sucks to have a $1000USD maintenance item pretty much right after you bought the car.

The Timing belt hasn't been replaced, I have ordered a new one off Rockauto with a new waterpump as well. They will be arriving tomorrow. I have a shop at home so the belt isn't an issue for me. (Only cost of parts)

I'll remove the Serp belt tonight to see if that noise is still persistent. (Hopefully its something small).

I'll post back with an update!

I greatly appreciate the reply 🍻

First listen (you can use a short piece of hose held up to your ear to isolate the time) to all the rotating assemblies, accessory drive belt and alternator, A/C compressor, power steering pump. Then remove the timing belt cover and listen to those components.

I'd also put your hand on the carpet in front of the driver's seat with the car idling. If you feel vibration in the floor your dual mass flywheel may be failing.
I'll check for any vibration as well tonight! (Even with the Clutch Depressed & Engaged the noise is still there....) You think the Clutch/Flywheel is possible? The car shifts perfectly fine from the feel of it.

Thanks for the reply good sir! 🍻

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Flywheel spins regardless, but you'd also probably feel some pulsation in the pedal if it was failing.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It may be the collar on the water pump. They can make a strange noise when they fail.

You need a bunch of SSTs to do that timing belt job, just FYI.

GLanzino

TDI
2015 VW Passat TDI
It may be the collar on the water pump. They can make a strange noise when they fail.

You need a bunch of SSTs to do that timing belt job, just FYI.
I'm hoping its just a bad bearing on an accessory drive, If its the water pump that would be ideal. (I'll find out later tonight)

What is SST?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Special Service Tool

GLanzino

TDI
2015 VW Passat TDI
Update:

I removed the Serpentine Belt, started the car up, let it warm up, to check for the noise (It was more faint then before). I checked the clutch, there was no noise or vibration, There was also no noises coming from the bellhousing. The sound is coming directly from the Timing Belt area as its the loudest under the plastic cover, leading me to believe its a bearing from either the water pump, tensioner or roller bearing.

I will be replacing the timing belt over the weekend with all new parts (Water Pump, Tensioner, Roller Bearings) which I'm hoping will resolve the noise.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
My money is on that silly variable speed water pump. Just get the fixed speed one from IDparts

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
post up some pictures of that water pump once its out.