New release (non-beta) VCDS version available

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
2 x 2004 Jetta Sport BEW (Malone Stage 1.5), 2014 GSW TDI - Wolfsburg Edition, 2015 Passat TDI -Sport Trim
Just downloaded the update....

I'm curious to see what enhancements are available for older cars (MKIV)... or is this release mostly about support for the newer models?

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Uwe, a suggestion:
Have the settings transfer from version to version. I'm reluctant to knee-jerk go for the upgrades because I have to configure, ping, and save my preferences and port configuration each time.
I have the same screen. I'm using the same connection port. I'd like for the new version to import that information from the prior one.

Sebastian

Vendor
The settings should never be deleted or overwritten by our setup assuming you are not switching between Release and Beta and/or not installing in a different folder as the previous version. In fact for quite a few versions all your settings should be kept - no matter what.

Any chance what you're seeing is installation folder related?

Lug_Nut

TDI
The settings should never be deleted or overwritten by our setup assuming you are not switching between Release and Beta and/or not installing in a different folder as the previous version. In fact for quite a few versions all your settings should be kept - no matter what.

Any chance what you're seeing is installation folder related?
I don't think so. I let the update install itself 'automatically' and let the software select where it installs itself and what it deletes from the prior one.

Sorry that took so long (30+ minutes), but I just went through the upgrade from 11.11.5 to 12.12.0 on one of my three machines. (XP pro, SP3, 1.86 GHz, 1Gb) using a serial port to drive the Key-Com cable. I let the upgrade take place 'automatically' with the software choosing file names and paths, letting it delete and extract files on its own until it, as customary in my experiences with every upgrade, produced the expected "First Use, No Config File Found" message forcing me to, once again, teach it to use the same port every prior version has used.

powaw

TDI
2003 Golf 5spd
getting ready to purchase vcds in the hex usb can version. I seem to remember that there used to be a limit to the number of cars that you can hook this to. Is that still the case?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
getting ready to purchase vcds in the hex usb can version. I seem to remember that there used to be a limit to the number of cars that you can hook this to. Is that still the case?
No such limit (I do not know if there ever was such a limit). With a newer "smart" interface, the only limitation is that you must use your cable on whatever PC you are using. The software will not function without a genuine Ross-Tech cable. If you have a HEX+USB+CAN cable, it will work on almost any VW product and on any Windows computer with no limitations.

Have Fun!

Don

forcedfedbug

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta, Totalled late 11. 2012 Passat TDI w/DSG and a 2012 Golf TDI. Golf traded for a 2013 beetle
If you get the no config found after upgrade i am betting the cable was not plugged into the car? i get this error everytime i upgrade without the cable attached. i only upgraded once with the cable attached and plugged into the car and it worked without issue. since i dont use mine all the time i just dont worry about that any more.

Ron

Lug_Nut

TDI
The instructions specifically state to disconnect the cable from the PC prior to performing the update.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
The instructions specifically state to disconnect the cable from the PC prior to performing the update.
True. Perhaps he was suggesting plugging the cable into the car before running the program (after installing it) and testing the interface. It appears that newer versions of VCDS must be plugged into the car before it will save a good (complete) configuration file.

Have Fun!

Don

BeartheBruce

Vendor
"I seem to remember that there used to be a limit to the number of cars that you can hook this to."

No such limit (I do not know if there ever was such a limit).....
Don
You are correct Don - there is no such limit - and there never has been one. VCDS will work on as many vehicles as you choose to work on. There are no limits to its use.