new recon cylinder head fitted now torsion is set to -4.9 to get 32.8mpg round town.

WOODWARD395

TDI
touran 1.9 tdi
Hi trying to work out whats going on previously i was getting 38.9 mpg round town and 48 to 57 on motorways, had a snapped cam belt fitted recon head with new valves etc. torsion has always been 0.0 kw, now with new head the torsion has to be set at 4.9 to get 0.4lh if set to 0.0 kw it ends up on 0.6 to 0.8 lh and end up getting 22 to 26 mpg have done all the usual checks tyres air filter brakes binding changed MAF sensor etc. the head looked as if it was skimmed due to the way its surface looked if it was i would have thought that would improve performance if it doesn't hit the valves lol but the clearance seemed ok so could be wrong.
wondering if anyone has an idea of what i may have missed so i can check as am a bit stumped at present. thanks for any input.
I use VCDs is there anything i should be looking at.
vehicle is a 1.9 tdi bxe vw Touran se. sliding towards EGR faulty but have no fault codes only radio and door lock. think i have posted in incorrect place so moved to TDI economy.

Last edited:

WOODWARD395

TDI
touran 1.9 tdi
it was a recon head with valves and tappets due to cracked head I have just presumed it was skimmed as was extremely clean.
the injector lash is spot on as i have re checked them also fitted recon injectors bottom end is fine i know they are prone to throwing rods.
I am leaning towards EGR valve just due to live readings on MAF sensor which has been changed to vw part as was european part although there are no codes.

WOODWARD395

TDI
touran 1.9 tdi
I initially thought that stripped it down and used timing tools to line it up pushed crankshaft tool in then camshaft pulley pin lined up spot on,
I was convinced that was the initial reason for being so far out to what it originally was as torsion i have always set to 0.0kw and had a lot higher mileage.

WOODWARD395

TDI
touran 1.9 tdi
think the crankshaft pulley key has sheared for some reason and it has turned a few degrees then stuck in position thankfully or it would be a new engine for sure will update when i eventually get it off.
yep its damaged i can move the gear a couple of degrees either way but cannot get the bolt out have snapped two half inch drive bars tried heat impact gun stumped. tempted to put the bar and socket on and crank the engine just don't wish to snap the bolt.
well spend a whole day trying to remove crankshaft bolt would not budge.
so have been to two garages as thought it may be me being weak both garages could not budge it either they snapped one bar and a socket.

Last edited: