New Q&A System

rdsteen

TDI
2002 Jetta
Here me out before ignoring/deleting.

I love tdiclub forums and I've been coming here on and off for years to take care of my wonderful Jetta TDI. However, I can't say I love wading through hundreds of posts on a topic to find the one right answer.

Enter the stack engine. Stack Overflow was written by developers (with absolutely no affiliation to myself) to solve this exact problem. Instead of reading a ten page thread to find an answer, users collectively ask questions and rate the validity of answers. This is a very strong system that I've used as a software developer for several years.

In the interest of seeing a community I love benefit, I created this proposal in Area 51: http://area51.stackexchange.com/pro...iesel-lovers?referrer=Y6XK92Kaopx0H_WV2Bf7Nw2

The way this works is that they only create Q&A sites for things where enough users are interested. If you don't like it, don't join -- but please leave this post for others. This is a solid improvement over forums and our entire community could benefit.

Again I get absolutely nothing from this, except having a better place to find answers about my TDI.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
I believe the vbulletin software supports member and individual post ratings. I have lobbied for this for years. I think having this would address that same concern you have of not needing to wade through noise posts and people who have no credibility.

A wiki-based FAQ, kept much more up-to-date and the information validated by people in the know, is being worked on, but I don't see ever using a third-party software either as an add-on the vbulletin forum or to completely replace it because there are over 12 years and millions of posts to port over.