New Problem; Very Low Power

whyfish

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW TDI Wagon auto. transmission
It was cold this morning; maybe 28F. But it's been cold like that for at least a week or so and I haven't had any performance issues at all. Ever!

From a stop, when I'm accelerating, the car moves out really slowly. Foot to the floor and I'm just crawling. No signs of transmission slippage. Just takes forever to shift up in gears. When it shifts into 2nd gear from 1st, same deal. Takes forever to get it to shift into 3rd. Once its in 3rd, car seems to be performing normally. Might be a bit slow to respond to the accelerator.

I would call this a loss of power. Car has 132,000 miles on it. Maintained to factory specs. Using Power Service (white botle now) at every fill. Fuel filter not due for replacement for 8K miles.

Any thoughts about what it could be?

davidschroeder

TDI
none
Just had the same problem. It was fuel IQ settings were off. You need VCDS to check that. Could also be a bad MAF. You need VCDS for that one too.

whyfish

Veteran Member
TDI
I was leaning towards a bad MAF.

Funny thing just happend. I drove down the stree to a coffee shop. Had the same symptoms. Very slow in 1st and 2nd and it took almost a half mile to get the transmission to shift into 3rd. Car wouldn't go much over 25MPH with engine spinning at 4500 RPM, floored. It suddenly lunged into 3rd and I was @ 50 MPH in about 2 seconds. Parked the car. Turned it off. Restarted the car and now its performing like it normally does.

What the hell just happened??

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
I was leaning towards a bad MAF.

Funny thing just happend. I drove down the stree to a coffee shop. Had the same symptoms. Very slow in 1st and 2nd and it took almost a half mile to get the transmission to shift into 3rd. Car wouldn't go much over 25MPH with engine spinning at 4500 RPM, floored. It suddenly lunged into 3rd and I was @ 50 MPH in about 2 seconds. Parked the car. Turned it off. Restarted the car and now its performing like it normally does.

What the hell just happened??
No signs of slippage? 25mph and 4500 rpm? I'm just guessing here but I think you have a tranny on the way out. Coolairvw can help.

whyfish

Veteran Member
TDI
No need to bring Freddie to the party just quite yet. It is not transmission related.

Had Rich at Fix Um Haus run VCDS to check for stored codes. No codes showed. None!! It's been running just like normal for the last week. No issues at all.

Ordered a new MAF.