New Pioneer Receiver install - Which interface module should I get? NO HASSLES, this is for my moms car.

interface module?

• Axxess XSVI-9003-NAV & ASWC

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Maestro RR

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • PAC RP4-VW11

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
I'm having a Pioneer AVIC-W8500-NEX and backup camera installed in my mom's 2003 TDI as a Christmas Gift. She insists that the steering wheel buttons continue to work which means I need an interface module to work with with this receiver. I have this same receiver in my 2010 JSW and have had issues with the Maestro RR2 and it needs to be removed as the module appears to be malfunctioning.

This is my mom's car and don't want her to have to deal with any hassles like what I'm experiencing with the RR2. She has the GLS w/ Monsoon stereo.

Options:

Axess interface:
Axxess XSVI-9003-NAV
Axxess ASWC

Or

Maestro RR

Or

PAC RP4-VW11

Anybody get a modern GPS receiver installed w/ backup camera? What module did you use and has it been reliable?

TIA

ETA for searches: DO NOT ORDER THE MAESTRO RR IF YOU WANT TO KEEP STEERING WHEEL CONTROLS ON YOUR MKIV, THEY ARE NOT SUPPORTED BY IDATALINK.

Last edited:

Rapid Transit

Veteran Member
TDI
03 4dr Golf GLS
I just installed a Pioneer NEX with JL Audio Microsub and back up camera (03 golf with Monsoon). I used the Axxess XSVI-9003-NAV. I soldered it to the Pioneer harness with a ebrake bypass. Cleaned the harness up nicely. Took a Dremel to the stereo cavity to allow for the harness, interface module, antenna adapter, RCA, video cable, etc to fit. Plugged in and stereo powered up with no key. Locks and alarm started malfunctioning. I went back over my wiring and could not find a mistake. Pulled interface module and stereo would not work but door locks, remote, alarm all functioned normal. Cut trigger wire and ran directly to switch power at fuse box and still had issues.

Today, Amazon delivered another Axxess XSVI-9003-NAV. I replaced the interface module only and everything works perfect. Big headache, but happy with the results. By the way, during my troubleshooting I noted that their were a lot of complaints with the Axxess XSVI-9003-NAV for 03 VW’s ( on Cruchfield reviews).

All in all, I am happy, but many people just use the basic harness with switched power from fuse box and were satisfied (no switched power in factory stereo harness).

Can’t comment on steering wheel controls, my lowly Golf has none.

Last edited:

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
My previous '03 Golf also had an Axxess XSVI-9003-NAV and Pioneer W6400-NEX install. Never had any issues with it, worked flawlessly. My dad now has that car and it still has never had any issues with the receiver or module. Like you said, Golfs do not have steering wheel controls. I wish my mother would back down on it but she wants the steering wheel controls so here we are...

I just installed a Pioneer NEX with JL Audio Microsub and back up camera (03 golf with Monsoon). I used the Axxess XSVI-9003-NAV. I soldered it to the Pioneer harness with a ebrake bypass. Cleaned the harness up nicely. Took a Dremel to the stereo cavity to allow for the harness, interface module, antenna adapter, RCA, video cable, etc to fit. Plugged in and stereo powered up with no key. Locks and alarm started malfunctioning. I went back over my wiring and could not find a mistake. Pulled interface module and stereo would not work but door locks, remote, alarm all functioned normal. Cut trigger wire and ran directly to switch power at fuse box and still had issues.

Today, Amazon delivered another Axxess XSVI-9003-NAV. I replaced the interface module only and everything works perfect. Big headache, but happy with the results. By the way, during my troubleshooting I noted that their were a lot of complaints with the Axxess XSVI-9003-NAV for 03 VW’s ( on Cruchfield reviews).

All in all, I am happy, but many people just use the basic harness with switched power from fuse box and were satisfied (no switched power in factory stereo harness).

Can’t comment on steering wheel controls, my lowly Golf has none.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I used the Maestro kit on mine and my wife's 2014 nms tdi, all functionality maintained and stupid easy setup.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
I know build quality isn't necessarily a sign of overall quality, but those Axxess devices seem so flimsy. I had one a number of years ago. I don't remember having any problems with it, though.

I have a local pro car stereo shop that has helped with a ton of complicated wiring projects on my Jetta (e.g. Climatronic) and I asked them what they would choose. They recommend the PAC products.

When you ask about GPS, do you mean in relation to the Pioneer AVIC-W8500? Doesn't it have GPS already?

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
I know build quality isn't necessarily a sign of overall quality, but those Axxess devices seem so flimsy. I had one a number of years ago. I don't remember having any problems with it, though.

I have a local pro car stereo shop that has helped with a ton of complicated wiring projects on my Jetta (e.g. Climatronic) and I asked them what they would choose. They recommend the PAC products.

When you ask about GPS, do you mean in relation to the Pioneer AVIC-W8500? Doesn't it have GPS already?
I never asked about GPS. I asked about what NAV/Steering wheel integration module will work reliably with a modern GPS enabled reciever like the Pioneer W8500 since my experience with the Maestro RR2 has been negative.

Yes the W8500 has built in GPS. It basically has everything even live OBDII PID monitoring. It’s awesome when it works

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
Ah, I see. Putting this sentence at the end was a bit unclear. I read it as a separate question.

Anybody get a modern GPS receiver installed w/ backup camera? What module did you use and has it been reliable?

arcking

TDI
2x '04 Jetta Wagons (BEW/09A), '13 JSW
I have CRUX SWRVW-52 interfaces in two of my '04 Jettas with the Monsoon system and steering wheel controls and have had absolutely no issues with either of them - not sure if they'd work with the AVIC-W8500-NEX (I realize they're not on your list), but it might be worth looking into.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
I have CRUX SWRVW-52 interfaces in two of my '04 Jettas with the Monsoon system and steering wheel controls and have had absolutely no issues with either of them - not sure if they'd work with the AVIC-W8500-NEX (I realize they're not on your list), but it might be worth looking into.
That interface wasn't even on my radar and never came up in my searches. Crutchfield recommends the Maestro RR for the 8500 install.

StevenT

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI Automatic, 2011 Jetta TDI 6 Spd. Manual. Malone Stage 2
I installed a PAC RP4-VW11 Wiring Interface with a Pioneer AVH-2550NEX in my 2004 TDI Jetta and it has worked flawlessly for over a year.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
I installed a PAC RP4-VW11 Wiring Interface with a Pioneer AVH-2550NEX in my 2004 TDI Jetta and it has worked flawlessly for over a year.
Do you have steering wheel controls?

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
I used the Maestro kit on mine and my wife's 2014 nms tdi, all functionality maintained and stupid easy setup.
@Nero Morg my installer is having programming issues with the RR. Maestro tech is telling him 2003s don’t have steering wheel controls. How did you do it?

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
I've used PAC interfaces in multiple vehicles including MkIVs and my Mazda (both with SWC) and the only thing I ran into is one retailer with old code in the one they sold me that had to be updated. Otherwise flawless.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
@Nero Morg my installer is having programming issues with the RR. Maestro tech is telling him 2003s don’t have steering wheel controls. How did you do it?
It was so long ago, but last I remember was just plug into computer and code in. Also has the function where the radio stays on after key removal, but turns off when the door is opened.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
It was so long ago, but last I remember was just plug into computer and code in. Also has the function where the radio stays on after key removal, but turns off when the door is opened.
The maestro programming pages says VW doesn’t have any vehicles with steering wheel controls in 2003 so it won’t let me program it.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
Alright I spoke with crutchfield tech support today. He did some reasearch on wiring diagrams for 2003 Jetta and wagon and his data says GLS w/ monsoon doesn’t have radio steering wheel controls. I told him they do but it doesn’t matter because the maestro rr doesn’t support the programming. He acknowledged their website is wrong and will be changed.

He said if I lie to it and tell the module it’s a 2006 Passat or Jetta it may work, or could cause other issues. @Nero Morg I don’t know how you programmed it, if you could remember more details let me know. I purchased the RR and harness based on your post however it looks like it will need to be returned unless somebody can help me out.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
The reason I think this is because some of these other brands and products are much simpler devices and don't require any programming at all.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
Do you actually need two products for this? What is this for:

Cruchfield says 2009+ but iDataLink's web site goes back to 2002.

Maybe it isn't an issue of programming but instead it's a physical connection? This is a total guess.
I said I purchased the harness. That is the RR harness for VW. That’s not the issue.

The crutchfield page for the W8500 shows the maestro RR as the ONLY module which retains the SW controls for the 2003 GLS Jetta and supports other features the W8500 has like live OBD-II PID monitoring.

As I’ve said multiple times, the issue is with Idatalink programming because they don’t support 2003 GLS Jettas with SWC and they insist that my steering wheel is aftermarket. There is no way to program any VW with SWC until 2006 however @Nero Morg was able to make it work.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
IIRC, I did have to purchase two things, but one was the controller box, the other was the wiring adapter to the OEM harness, but that's pretty generic. I think I did have to program it to a newer ish vehicle, think it was a jetta. Don't know why they aren't showing steering wheel controls when all leather interiors had them.... Same with passats.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
IIRC, I did have to purchase two things, but one was the controller box, the other was the wiring adapter to the OEM harness, but that's pretty generic. I think I did have to program it to a newer ish vehicle, think it was a jetta. Don't know why they aren't showing steering wheel controls when all leather interiors had them.... Same with passats.
Alright @Nero Morg so this absolutely did not work. Programming it as a 2006 Jetta/Passat it wouldn't even power on. My installer was so pissed. Idatalink does not support the Mk4 GLS cars that came with steering wheel controls.

What sucks is that the Maestro is the only module that supports all the features of the W8500 but you can't have steering wheel controls if you use it. So I had to order the axxess modules XSVI-9003 and AX-SWC to keep the SW controls.

4th4

TDI
2005.1 Jetta Wagon BEW
I'm having a Pioneer AVIC-W8500-NEX and backup camera installed in my mom's 2003 TDI as a Christmas Gift. She insists that the steering wheel buttons continue to work which means I need an interface module to work with with this receiver. I have this same receiver in my 2010 JSW and have had issues with the Maestro RR2 and it needs to be removed as the module appears to be malfunctioning.

This is my mom's car and don't want her to have to deal with any hassles like what I'm experiencing with the RR2. She has the GLS w/ Monsoon stereo.

Options:

Axess interface:
Axxess XSVI-9003-NAV
Axxess ASWC

Or

Maestro RR

Or

PAC RP4-VW11

TIA

ETA for searches: DO NOT ORDER THE MAESTRO RR IF YOU WANT TO KEEP STEERING WHEEL CONTROLS ON YOUR MKIV, THEY ARE NOT SUPPORTED BY IDATALINK.
I know this is a two year old thread but can you elaborate on the steering wheel controls not being supported by iDatalink?

I just installed a Pioneer W4660NEX using the Maestro RR and the Maestro VW1 harness ('05 Mk4 jetta wagon GLS). I flashed the Maestro using the default steering wheel control options but only the Volume buttons do anything. The bottom two buttons normally used to skip cd tracks do nothing.
I even reflashed the Maestro from the default "seek" to "preset +/-" and nothing.
The volume buttons work as they should and they even respond to button HOLD assignments from the Maestro, which I assigned to Mute (hold -) and Voice/Siri command (hold+)

Not sure what's going on here.

Last edited:

4th4

TDI
2005.1 Jetta Wagon BEW
Alright @Nero Morg so this absolutely did not work. Programming it as a 2006 Jetta/Passat it wouldn't even power on. My installer was so pissed. Idatalink does not support the Mk4 GLS cars that came with steering wheel controls.

What sucks is that the Maestro is the only module that supports all the features of the W8500 but you can't have steering wheel controls if you use it. So I had to order the axxess modules XSVI-9003 and AX-SWC to keep the SW controls.
I spoke with the team from iDatalink (very helpful bunch!).
I was able to get my bottom two steering wheel control buttons to work by flashing the Maestro RR as a 2012 VW Eos. no joke, flashed and confirmed last night

All 4 buttons now work!

Last edited:

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
I spoke with the team from iDatalink (very helpful bunch!).
I was able to get my bottom two steering wheel control buttons to work by flashing the Maestro RR as a 2012 VW Eos. no joke, flashed and confirmed last night

All 4 buttons now work!
What OBDII PIDs does the MkIV support?

Good for you. At the time there was no support from Idatalink or Crutchfield as to a solution.

The car is wrecked now so can’t do anything with my moms old Jetta.