New Passat TDI confirmed for U.S.

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
what skoda uses Eolys?

Don't forget that Citroen is PSA, Fiat have shared panel vans and MPVs with PSA, and Volvo and Ford use the joint-venture engines.

But I'm not convinced the current generation of cars still use it. You can however get an additive from Wynn's with the cerium in it...

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Yes, please enlighten me. I'd like to know too.

edit: http://vehicle-engineer.com/Section...1=Rhodia&keyword2=emissions&keyword3=chemical
Additive based diesel particulate Filter
Initially, PSA in a joint development with Rhodia equipped passenger cars with A-DPF. Now, SUV and Heavy Duty vehicles benefit from the technology. Improvements made to the system and therefore to the performance of the Eolys™ additive have enabled a reduction in on-board volume. With second generation Eolys™, launched in 2002, the additive tank required refilling every 140,000 km (87,500 miles). Third generation Eolys™, currently being launched, enables a maintenance-free system with only 1.5 litres on-board for a range exceeding 250,000 km (155,000 miles).

The PSA/Rhodia A-DPF system is a closed system, able to reduce diesel particulate to a degree of 99.9 per cent. PSA (Peugeot-Citroen) as a major manufacturer of diesel engines adopted this system in 2001. Manufacturers sourcing diesel engines from PSA, such as Ford, Mazda, Volvo, Mitsubishi, Fiat vans, and BMW for their diesel powered Mini, are also using the Rhodia A-DPF system.

After more than 6 years’ practical experience and with more than 2.5 million vehicles on the road - with zero recalls - the Additive-based Diesel Particulate Filter (A-DPF) with Rhodia’s Eolys™ technology has demonstrated its efficiency, robustness and durability under all driving conditions.

It is clear that the closed A-DPF system differs from open retrofit particulate filters. In the Netherlands the Ministry of Environment began a programme on September 12, 2006 subsidising the fitting of diesel particulate filters on older diesel engines. According to the latest statistics, more than 32,000 have been fitted. Volvo was the first in free fitting these open retrofit filters passing the 11,614 mark. Volkswagen overtook them with 14,744 retrofits. The subsidy of € 500 to € 1,500 - according to the size of the engine - is cashed by the fitter. Open retrofit diesel particulate filters as fitted in this programme have been tested by the Dutch technical institute TNO. It was found that a reduction of particulate emission was achieved between 20 and 55 per cent, 44 per cent on average. In many cases this reduction is sufficient to allow access to city zones where only Euro IV engines qualify.

Mr Steinmetz points out that Rhodia needs their A-DPF system to be integrated in the total engine control which involves more engineering than just fitting a filter in the exhaust pipe. More space is required, as well as a higher price. In addition to the passenger car market, Eolys™ technology has proved its value in the retrofitting of light, medium and heavy-duty vehicles. These applications are particularly demanding in respect of cost, durability and performance, as well as under severe thermal management conditions. Rhodia’s Eolys™ is not only used in retrofit applications for buses, delivery and commercial vehicles but also in off-road applications such as construction machinery, forklift trucks and generators. Importantly, Rhodia is actively involved in urban vehicle retrofit partnerships with many cities in France, Germany, Switzerland, China, Korea and Japan. In these cases the unit price of € 3,000 – € 6,000 is paying off because of the almost 100 per cent elimination of diesel particulate emissions. Also engineering and finding space under the bonnet is less of a problem.

This development is currently ongoing for Euro V applications with SUV, utility and heavy-duty vehicle manufacturers. The advantages offered by A-DPF technology are key to these applications. A-DPF ensures optimum performance under all driving conditions, motorway or urban, and requires very limited fuel consumption, compared to 3 to 5% for other technologies. Moreover, A-DPF technology is completely transparent for the driver and passengers: the system requires neither intervention by the driver nor a change in driving style. Currently there is no equivalent available in the marketplace.

Heavy-duty applications will also benefit from the advantages offered by A-DPF technology for DPF-DeNOx combinations. Due to its outstanding performance, this technology offers wide integration flexibility in these two emissions control systems (DPF located upstream or downstream of a De-NOx catalyst), which constitutes a key element in current US and future European emission standards. Mr. Steinmetz mentioned that Rhodia supplies up to half of all coating of 3-way catalysts.
Seems like the use of the Eolys-based systems outside of PSA engines is found in (aftermarket) retrofits. I'm sure our German friends will have an earful to say about how successful the retrofit program has been....

Last edited:

jas67

TDI
2012 TDI JSW on order.
Since adblue does not do anything about particulates, I'm pretty sure it still needs to regenerate.
The adblue reduces the amount of EGR that is needed (both adblue and EGR are to reduce NOx emissions, and the EGR CAUSES higher particulate emissions), and thus does reduce the production of particulates. It doesn't, however, eliminate it altogether, so the DPF and regens are still needed, but I'll bet not as often.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
The adblue reduces the amount of EGR that is needed
Incorrect. Urea fluid consumption is proportional to the engine-out NOx emissions that must be reduced, so it's in the interest of the calibration to generate as little engine-out NOx emissions as possible in the first place, mainly via EGR and injection strategy. EGR and adblue (SCR) complement each other; one does not replace- or diminish the need for the other. Well, more accurately put, EGR complements SCR, but SCR "finishes the job" to bring tailpipe NOx emissions down to levels that EGR alone cannot over all operation conditions. Too little EGR will result in excessive DEF (urea) consumption. Conversely, too much EGR will result in more soot formation, resulting in higher fuel consumption through higher DPF regeneration duty cycles necessary. Here, the tradeoff is to meet pollutant regulations while minimizing the fuel consumption penalty and urea fluid depletion.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=3462996#post3462996

The above having being said, research labs are working on entirely different combustion processes with very high EGR rates, even higher than those in current engines (>70%) to achieve SIMULTANEOUSLY NEAR ZERO NOx and particulates, but only within a limited range of operation. The hope is no need for any kind of PM and NOx aftertreatment, but outside these special modes of operation some form of DPF and NOx trap are required. But that's a whole other discussion.

Last edited:

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
what skoda uses Eolys?

But I'm not convinced the current generation of cars still use it. You can however get an additive from Wynn's with the cerium in it...
It's about half way down, I don't know if they currently use it since this document is from 2006. The fluid is still available from VW and the part# is G 052 143 A2. My local dealer said it's not stocked in the USA, but he can order it. The Peugeot site says they still use the fuel additive.

http://www.skoda.is/Documents/EnvironmentTechDev/EnvironmentTechDevDPF.pdf

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Lug_Nut came over today to see the Passat and take it for a drive. He had some interesting observations, not the least of which was that the ignition key is really only useful for the glove box and the rear seatbacks. It has no other uses. There's no key hole in the door, and of course no ignition lock operated by a key. The question we had was: what if you leave the car locked and the battery goes dead (like it has on me on other cars at the airport when left for a week or three)? How do you get in to pull the hood release to jump the car? Hmmm.

Here's his B5.5 and the Passat together, current and most recent past diesel Passats in NA.

And of course, mileage expert that he is, after his test drive this is what the display read.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Isn't there a cap that comes off next to the driver's door handle that exposes a key hole?

WVU TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6m
Isn't there a cap that comes off next to the driver's door handle that exposes a key hole?
Yup. There's a little slot under that car at the door handle made for the key to pop it off too. Really don't like the idea of having to pry at my paint to unlock the car, but whatevs...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Drop your remote in water and you'll be using the key. I'll look for it, didn't know it was there.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
On Golfs the lock cylinder is hidden under a removable cap. I wouldn't like this arrangement, because my JSW has gotten quirky a few times and hasn't unlocked with the remote, so I've had to use the key to get in.

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I-Red,"The Passat formerly known as Harlequin" 97 B4, a non VW GTDI too
Lug_Nut came over today to see the Passat and take it for a drive. He had some interesting observations, not the least of which was that the ignition key is really only useful for the glove box and the rear seatbacks. It has no other uses. There's no key hole in the door, and of course no ignition lock operated by a key. The question we had was: what if you leave the car locked and the battery goes dead (like it has on me on other cars at the airport when left for a week or three)? How do you get in to pull the hood release to jump the car? Hmmm.

Here's his B5.5 and the Passat together, current and most recent past diesel Passats in NA.

And of course, mileage expert that he is, after his test drive this is what the display read.
Great picture of the two generations, I should've brought over a B4 for the photo op :D I'll be interested in the final verdict from your crew as to wether or not you think you'll have one in your driveway for keeps.

yamaguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE 6man TDI, 2014 F-350 PSD, 2003 F-350 7.3 PSD, John Deere 2032R, Cub Cadet 882
What kind of Urea consumption do they say to expect with the new Passat?

Last edited:

yamaguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE 6man TDI, 2014 F-350 PSD, 2003 F-350 7.3 PSD, John Deere 2032R, Cub Cadet 882
On FTE it looks like the newer 6.7 Fords can see little to no usage of Urea depending on load and driving style. It looks like if you pull a trailer or drive it hard, that use will use more, but if you drive easy it will regen more because you need higher exhaust temps in order to produce the NOx that the Urea takes care of. The trucks are using anywhere from almost none in 6k mi to 5 gallons in 7k mi. Not too bad at $11.99/ 2.5gal

Last edited:

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's about half way down, I don't know if they currently use it since this document is from 2006. The fluid is still available from VW and the part# is G 052 143 A2. My local dealer said it's not stocked in the USA, but he can order it. The Peugeot site says they still use the fuel additive.
http://www.skoda.is/Documents/EnvironmentTechDev/EnvironmentTechDevDPF.pdf

Thanks. So Skoda tried Eolys on one variant of the PD in the big Superb a few years back. Guessing that either VAG were testing the water or the weight of the Superb demanded some help to keep under an emissions threshold?

Still haven't found any reference to a new PSA car post- 2010 with additive.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Mcgink, I'm going for a 2012 Golf. Although I like the Passat, it's a bigger car than I want to drive daily and whatever I buy will (eventually) replace IBW. And I want a hatch. But I have co-workers who are smitten with the Passat, so you never know.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
That 51.4 was obtained on a loop that I drove about an hour later in my B5.5. The loop consisted of highway, stop and go, and rural traffic. I was not making any serious attempts at max-MPG, but wanted to get an idea of what I'd get driving that car in my usual mode.
The B5.5's MFA indicated a 36.4 mpg average for that loop. Since I average 36 mpg in that car, I think the traffic and route was a fair equal to what I enounter everyday.
40% better in the '12? That's a big difference to attribute to an optimistic MFA.

But...... I agree that the undefinable impression of quality, fit and finish just isn't there. Saving a penny here, a nickle there, does add up and make the car seem cheaper than they used to appear. There are still issues with me fitting the car and getting comfortable so I don't think there's one of these in my future.
Peter suggested that I look at the Golf. I did and I came close to signing on for a 20k mile, '10 2 door TDI at a dealer local to him. Yeah, the Golf is nicer than the Passat.
Sorry VWoA, Close, but no cigar.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I saw that Golf later yesterday afternoon, too. It looked like a find, but you'd have to get over having twin white Golfs in the driveway. Folks who saw the car over the weekend seem to agree with you, that the Passat is more generic, more Camry and Accord like, than it used to be. Less German. I felt that way two when I looked at the Golf after being in the Passat. The Golf feels more like a VW. But the Passat is definitely nicer inside than a new Jetta Sedan.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Confirms my decision to get a Golf! Love the car, great mileage, tight as can be, and corners like on rails. Great fit-and-finish too. Thankfully there's still at least ONE affordable German car!

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
:) and :D

They'd be so cute together. :rolleyes:

I think I could handle it. I told Lug_Nut a couple of months ago that I sometimes wish I had an extra gear.
I got my white Golf on Easter weekend. Too bad VW doesn't still call them "Rabbits" over here, then I could nickname it the "Easter Bunny"... then again maybe it's a good thing they're called Golfs again...

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Folks who saw the car over the weekend seem to agree with you, that the Passat is more generic, more Camry and Accord like, than it used to be. Less German.
As I was tooling up Rt.3 on my B5.5 driving loop I saw you in the black '12 Passat coming up on my left. I waved to you as you pulled nearly even.

Then I saw it was a black Accord. :eek:
From 15 feet away, in a side view mirror, the new Passat and the new Accord are indistinguishable

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
The irony here, which is not lost on Lug_Nut, is that you can't run B99 in the new TDIs. Not sure how "green" I'd call it.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Green as in uses less fuel or as in cleaner exhaust maybe. 18.5 x 42 = 777. Almost a no brainer that they should make it. A 900 mile trip is what they should be trying for!

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
On FTE it looks like the newer 6.7 Fords can see little to no usage of Urea depending on load and driving style. It looks like if you pull a trailer or drive it hard, that use will use more, but if you drive easy it will regen more because you need higher exhaust temps in order to produce the NOx that the Urea takes care of. The trucks are using anywhere from almost none in 6k mi to 5 gallons in 7k mi. Not too bad at $11.99/ 2.5gal

IIRC, mercedes calcualted something around 6 ounces of urea per 1,000 miles. Don' remember the car or the size of the tank, so may be meaningless chatter.

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
The irony here, which is not lost on Lug_Nut, is that you can't run B99 in the new TDIs.
You can't even order the new Passat in green. Red, grey, blue, silver, black, white, that's all.
The European Passat palette is similarly devoid of greens:

The Golf however can be had in green:

Last edited: