New owner looking for advice.

NewryTDI

TDI
2011 Jetta
Hello,
New to the forum and to TDI’s. Hopefully I can get some guidance and suggestions. I am in the process of helping my son purchase a 2011 Jetta TDI here In Pennsylvania. He is stationed in Las Vegas and commutes one hour through the desert to his duty station daily. He needs a reliable car. The lowdown on the Jetta is that it is a one owner 2011 with only 24k miles. It was an elderly woman’s baby before she passed. So… because he will be driving it across the country at some point after coming home to pick it up, and an hour each way for work through the desert daily it must be reliable. I’m wondering what things should be replaced/maintained. I was thinking a timing belt kit with waterpump, transmission service, oil change and fuel filter as well as a coolant flush. Anything else? I’m also afraid this is going to cost a fortune!

thanks for your thoughts ahead of time

Len

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
If your/his heart is set on a VW okay, but I'd consider a Honda or Toyota if you want reliable and not as expensive to maintain. I'd do a brake fluid flush also after 11 years with likely the same brakes if came with from the came factory.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
More than likely out of the extended emissions warranty or almost. Unless your son can DIY or has a good VW tdi knowledgeable mechanic around I would steer clear of one. It sounds like his drive would be nicely compatible for this car but emissions are expensive to replace when required. I assume a DSG auto in it too? They can also be problematic at times and are also expensive. The trusted mechanics list shows a trusted mechanic there, if it is still accurate.

Wolf DMS Performance
4300 North Pecos Suite #10
Las Vegas 89115
(702) 651-9360

3 or so in PA too. Might be good to have someone there go over it first and ensure it is in excellent shape before driving across country too. Give you and him some peace of mind.

If in excellent shape the regular mileage and regular maintenance should see you go a long ways. Timing belt and water pump will more than likely be an issue with this car. This should be done immediately due to age. A complete job.

Last edited:

NewryTDI

TDI
2011 Jetta
Car is in great shape.
24k miles. Will have Timing belt and water pump done immediately. Also trans service, coolant, fuel filter and oil change. Neighbor is a VW enthusiast for life and has all tools and software. He will go over with a fine tooth comb.

U4ick

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
. Neighbor is a VW enthusiast for life and has all tools and software. He will go over with a fine tooth comb.
So............what exactly "guidance and suggestions" do you need from us?

U4ick

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Any issues that you have after your neighbor goes over your car with a "fine tooth comb",

Post back in your vehicle specific forum.....we love to help!

drew_t

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
If it’s still on the original set of tires, they should probably be replaced due to their age and in consideration of the impending cross-country trip and desert commuting. Window tinting would also be something to think about, although it could be deferred until the car is in Las Vegas.