New owner basic questions

14JSWLI

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Just drove home a 14 JSW blue on tan leather, DSG with only 34k yesterday. I've owned 3 gas engine Golfs over the past few generations but am excited for my first diesel and wagon. Currently switching over from a Subaru Forester, what a world of difference!

I want to take care of some basic maintenance right away because I never trust that stuff to be up to date.

On to the questions:
My local Advance Auto does not even have a 2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI in their system, but they do show a Jetta TDI sedan of the same year, I assume that is the same engine right?

I'll do an oil change and fuel filter (reading up now on this procedure). Anything else to look out for especially as a DIY'er and newbie to diesel? Thanks!

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
You're best source for parts is either IDparts, europaparts, kermatdi, or fcpeuro. Don't waste your time with a generic auto parts store.

I generally use IDparts for my 10k, 20k, and 40k service kits.

At 40k you're going to want to service the DSG. It's a relatively straightforward DIY job.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Make sure you prime the fuel system or top off the canister.

Confirm you use the correct 507 spec oil, though I doubt any DPFs will last long enough at this point for it to be a problem.

I use IDparts

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I'd stay away from the parts stores, use one of the above mentioned vendors, they'll be sure you get the correct stuff.

Some basic info: your car is an A5 wagon, the facelifted (2011+) version, which is often called an A6 or "Mk6" but it isn't. It uses the CJAA CR140 engine, and 02E DSG transmission. While the Jetta sedan of the same year would use the same engine and transmission, the rest of the car is entirely different, on a different platform (NCS), and shares very little with your car aside from a few bits and pieces. The cabin filter, for instance, is the same (but the whole HVAC system is not).

If you want to take care of your car yourself, I would strongly suggest getting VCDS or similar, as it will allow proper access to the car's onboard systems.

Ajelderwell

TDI
2011 Volkswagen Jetta
I'd stay away from the parts stores, use one of the above mentioned vendors, they'll be sure you get the correct stuff.

Some basic info: your car is an A5 wagon, the facelifted (2011+) version, which is often called an A6 or "Mk6" but it isn't. It uses the CJAA CR140 engine, and 02E DSG transmission. While the Jetta sedan of the same year would use the same engine and transmission, the rest of the car is entirely different, on a different platform (NCS), and shares very little with your car aside from a few bits and pieces. The cabin filter, for instance, is the same (but the whole HVAC system is not).

If you want to take care of your car yourself, I would strongly suggest getting VCDS or similar, as it will allow proper access to the car's onboard systems.

What is VCDS? I have a 2011 sportwagen TDI (CJAA engine type). I have to replace the oil pan and this is my first repair aside from brakes, and I've also changed my own oil for years now. Just had the DPF replaced (OUCH!) and came back with a load of recommended repairs from the dealership.

I plan to subscribe to Erwin for one day soon and download all of the repair and service books for the CJAA engine. Any advice on how I should be approaching this? How to use Erwin? Best use of the subscription? Any basic info I should know about my vehicle?