New Owner, 2012 Sportwagon... The Journey starts!

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
While I was under there, I pulled the Intercooler pipes and checked for moisture as I had seen somewhere...

Passenger side had maybe an Ounce or so, and the drivers side, nothing.
Both felt "Slimey" inside... not sure if that's normal or an issue.

Then moved on to the DSG service.
After removing the Airbox and Battery tray, I pulled the filter out.

Fluid was darker than I'd liked to see, but I dont have a reference point.

Is this about normal for 120k assuming it was done at 80k... of does it look bad?

For the record, I've put 300 miles on the car in the last 10 days and its shifted just fine... no issues I seen, felt or sensed.

When I drained pulled the drain plug and snorkel thingy I think I only got about 4 L out.
Also may have a leak on the transmission side... which might explain that.

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
I understand about Cali - that's a tough one. I don't know if Malone tuning clears the readiness or if there would be any significant change to the tailpipe profile - BUT I do suspect the mileage numbers have been severely affected. I haven't yet gotten to do an actual mileage run with mine post-adjustment (mine, not VW's) so I don't have a large sample set yet... BUT if the engine computer and my scangauge are being accurate, the mileage is now north of 50mpg at 80mph where before it was a calculated 37mpg at 80mph - and that was for an ENTIRE tank, on an 800 mile journey the day I bought it. Filled the tank right to the lip, and then filled it again right to the lip when it was nearly empty. The dash and my scangauge said 37mpg, and so did my math.

So if the dash is still accurate.... 52mpg at 80 is a STRONG argument for "hitting a pothole" that causes the DPF to have an accident. You might want to look into registering it out-of-state with an LLC or something... Someplace that doesn't have those draconian checks. Burning 40% less fuel certainly would make at least 40% less emissions!

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
On the DSG - when I did mine at 165k, the fluid came out dark honey color, not pure black like the oil.

I filled from the top and just put a full 5 liters in - I'm from the school of thought that too much is less bad than not enough - but half a liter isn't that much extra anyway, not like we are filling the casing with 4 extra (and I've heard of places that did that!) but the owner that reported that, had driven on it for at least a bit with it double-filled... So obviously the DSG can handle a bit more than expected.

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
I hear ya on the Smog issue.

CA smog test for this car is "Interesting".

My 190D has no smog requirements, so I just pay registration every year, and that is that.

Our ML320 and this TDI looks like the same test, and this is the procedure from what I've seen, and know.

1/ Cycle Ignition key to see if CEL lights(To be sure the bulb is not out or disconnected)
2/ Plug Scanner into OBD2 port and check for codes and readiness.
3/ Visually inspect engine bay for anything unusual or mods.
4/ Rev the engine several times for visible or excessive smoke.
That's it.

Much less to it than a gasser, for sure!

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
Yes, I would say my DSG fluid was dark Honey colored.
Nothing like the engine oil for sure!

I put about 4.5L in, and will check it again...

Used the top fill method.

I put all the Battery tray and airbox back, with a new air filter.

The I did the Fuel Filter.

Like I said, no issues. Filled the housing with Diesel Klean and a shot of MMO.

It was looking nicer after a good wipe down!

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
Now, on the subject of DPF and the like...
I had a crawl around underneath...

Can anyone give me an opinion of how this looks?
New stuff maybe?

Rear of engine looking up...

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
As I said before, I have no idea what was replaced during the emissions fix, or before.

There are many thing I would like to do, but the reality is I will just have to bring the service, and cosmetics up to acceptable first

Oh, that Styrofoam fuel rail cover/damper, that mine is missing?
Not available I’m told! Ugh.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Not to belabor an unnecessary point but it if you install an aftermarket tune in your car and VW sniffs it they will permanently flag your VIN as TD1, which will render the warranty void. I brought this up because I don't know how effective removing hardware is without a corresponding software tune and that's a consequence worth knowing ahead of time.

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
Thanks.
Yup, like I said, not much interested in getting crazy with this one. I’ve had my days running tuned cars, and now I’m within sight of 60, I doubt I will again!
More interest in mpg than mph these days.
I have my eye on making sure everything is ready for a 800+
Mile round trip to Az next week. I’m wondering what mpg I will get. 75mph feels about right on that run.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
I get about 38mpg @80

My 2015 (and my buddy's 2015 Golf) were right at 65K when I bought them, which meant the DSG service had either been delayed 25K too late or I was about to do them 15K too early.

I did all the services to establish baseline and plan to do them both again at 90K and 120K to get them back on track with VW recommendations (I decided to split the difference between the next two at 25K and 30K instead of 15K and 40K). If I'm remembering correctly, your oil looks lighter in color than ours were.

From your pictures I feel like it was more likely than not that the previous owners skipped their 40K DSG service; does anyone recommend 15/40K instead of 25/30K?

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
When I changed the DSG fluid on mine I didn’t notice any VW part numbers on the filter. It may have been changed before, but for $70 it was worth it to know for sure.

Dwagen

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 VW Jetta GLS TDI; 2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Speaking of MPGs, my JSW TDI was averaging 58mpg @ 50 mph (cruise control). I had the spare on so that was as fast as I could go anyway. After about 4 minutes of speed limits between 15-35, that average dropped to 54 mpg. Total was about a 25 minute trip.

As far as round-trip goes, my TDI averaged 51 mpg both ways both times on a 140-mile round-trip that took about 3.5 hours total (mostly interstate). I just used meticulous throttle management, going a bit faster downhill and slowing uphill (I surely made at least a few people mad :rolleyes:). Watching my instant mpg readings helped me achieve these numbers - I try to always keep the reading above 40 when I can. First trip was no traffic, return trip had stop-and-go traffic. I just kept a nice following distance, managed my speed, and (almost) never had to use the brakes.

These mpg readings were according to the onboard computer, so real world numbers may have been a couple mpg lower. I'm still impressed though :D

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
First time I have driven the car since the Service.
Trans was noticeably smoother and the changes seemed brisker and quieter.
The was a slight "Noise" or even a touch of flare before, but its gone now!

Engine oil sample went out to Blackstone...

Did the Cabin Air Filter...

Replaced the glovebox latch...
What a PITA that was!!!!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I hope you got this car for a really good price. I appears to have had a hard life up until now. You're doing the kind of restoration work that's more common on MKIV ('99.5-05) cars. It's nice to see someone saving one of these.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
First time I have driven the car since the Service.
Trans was noticeably smoother and the changes seemed brisker and quieter.
The was a slight "Noise" or even a touch of flare before, but its gone now!

Engine oil sample went out to Blackstone...

Did the Cabin Air Filter...

Replaced the glovebox latch...
What a PITA that was!!!!
Did the latch not come with a key cylinder to lock it?

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
Yes, the car was scruffy, and needed some love.
I was fine with that, and the price was fair, although of course lower would have been better!

When I was looking at this car, I also looked at another that had 109k miles, and it too had a spotty service history too. It was not perfect either, and I identified multiple things that needed fixing. Drivers seat was also showing signs of wear, lots of Stone chips on the nose and a peppered/chipped windshield. The seller was asking $4000 more.
My needs are not for a perfect car. I am a welder, woodworker, fabricator, with 2 big dogs. I regularly go to the Junk yard, and am regularly loading engines and the like in. This black interior will hide my frequently dirty clothes and hands. I dread to think what the light color interior would have looked like in short order!

Here is a couple of examples of what our old Range Rover has been doing the last year....
1000lb plus of Cummins Motor...

Alfa Romeo Engine, and Axle.

Looking longer term at this drivers seat wear.
For some reason, all the available seat covers are different to mine. Will edit this post with pics in a bit.
This leaves me with one option. Do it myself. I have an industrial sewing machine and am not afraid to use it!

This is a Range Rover seat I am retrimming in brown leather, to go in my Motorhome.

Yesterday, I took a run to out to my local Trim and material store.
Picked up some black perforated leatherette samples.

Last edited:

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
Did the latch not come with a key cylinder to lock it?

No, that's a separate part.

This is what I got..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-VW-Jetta-Rabbit-GTI-Eos-05-2014-Aluminum-Plated-Plastic-Glove-Box-Handle/112865034831?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Here is what I think is the lock cylinder.
https://www.vwpartsnowonline.com/oe...wMTImdD10ZGktcHJlbWl1bSZlPTItMGwtbDQtZGllc2Vs

My question is...
The lock on the 2012... is it the same as the ignition key, or a different key?

Last edited:

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
So, back to the drives seat.
On mine the base, and the backrest are worn, cut and done.

Now, I want to note, that on the backrest and base my seat seam is STRAIGHT at the bolster seam from top to bottom.

Yet, this seller says this is the correct replacement cover...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Volks...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Here is the official VW parts...
This diagrams also show a cover that is not the same as mine!

Backrest cover.

https://www.vwpartsnowonline.com/oe...xMiZ0PXRkaS1wcmVtaXVtJmU9Mi0wbC1sNC1kaWVzZWw=

Base Cover...
https://www.vwpartsnowonline.com/oe...xMiZ0PXRkaS1wcmVtaXVtJmU9Mi0wbC1sNC1kaWVzZWw=

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Nice. I don't get to see a 6bt in the back of a Range Rover every day :D . That should be a great swap for your Airstream, if that's the plan. I have a feeling you'll be getting a lot of utility out of your jsw.

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
Find a used seat at a salvage yard. I did a quick search and found them for as low as $70 each.
Yup, I'm lookin...
Please PM me you sources, because I found one that was not the right one... and one that is... but the shipping is gonna be the killer!

Yup, the Cummins is destined for the Airstream... But the 454 in there is fresh as a Daisy, and I will put that swap off for a bit.

But I have other things it will fit in tho... a Dodge van... a K5 Blazer, or K10 Pickup... all would make a great home for the lump...

Yeah, that was a funny day...

I got the 5.9 for a song... $500, for the complete motor.

Drove 2 hours to the seller, where I dropped the RR Air Suspension to the bump stops, while the seller lifted the Cummis block on a cherry picker... and reversed the RR until the block was inside the trunk. Then hit the air button and up she came, and we detached the chains, and I drove back out. We then manually loaded the head, and other stuff and I drove home! The word is that the complete motor weighs in at about 1100lb, but you would never know.
This pic was with the motor in, when I stopped for a min to see how she was doing...

The Cummins motor was cheap for a reason, but like my VW, with some love, she will be brought back...
#1 piston might need some buffing, as well as #1 bore...:eek:

Last edited:

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
I mentioned I was not happy with the DSG shifter, that was rough, and peeling its chrome....it felt horrible under the palm...
Plus the bubbling surround, and also the "D" LED was out...
It had to go.

Chose this... Might not be to everyone's taste, but I'm a big guy(6'4" and 250lb), and it feels better suited...

I knew the shift lock mechanism was an issue, and understood the Trigger lock, has to be modded for the North-South to East-West config.

Pulled of the old shifter....
This is what was underneath... :eek::eek::(:eek:
Those with weak stomachs should look away NOW.....
;)

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
After an hour of cleaning, I heated the mechanism, and twisted it 90 deg...
Now I have this!

Yup, still more cleaning to do!

While I working on the shifter, I looked up at the sun visor too...
:eek:

Last edited:

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
Oh, I checked the engine oil today... Spot on the level...
And my Valve cover is dry and clean, with no sign of oil leaking, so looks like the Oil Cap Gasket flip worked!

But, I think she is looking presentable... just some detail work to do!!

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
That's nothing a few passes with a dingleberry hone and some polishing compound won't fix. Haha. Looks like the previous owner(of the Dodge/Cummins) may have turned up the wick a little bit. And the previous owner of the VW was definitely not a neat freak.

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
Its on YouTube, but...

1/ Put the key in, and shift to N.
2/ Lift up the ashtray cover, and grab the forward edge of the shifter bezel and pull up, and if needed, push teh shifter boot down a little and pull up on the bezel with your fingers.. mine popped out no prob.
3/ Lift the Bezel up.

That will give you access to the shift interlock, and the RH side.

Oh, I bought an original Dealer Brochure for the 2012 Sportwagon of eBay for $10.... Kinda fun to read and see the options etc.

Also, I bought a brake bleeder wrench set...
I will do the Brake fluid next.

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
Deciphered the codes in the trunk for fun....

KH3HKAAir conditioning system Climatic and second evaporator and second heating system
8L6ANT"diversity" window antenna
8Y1SNHTwo-tone horn
4R4FEHPower windows with comfort operation andcircuit breaker
4K0TKVCentral locking with radio remote control and interior release mechanism
3FADEIWithout roof insert (standard roof)
1N3LENSpeed-related variable steering assist (Servotronic)
B0DBLBComponent parts set, complying with vehicle type for USA (without California), various parts
8AXRAORadio Premium

8G46DFVShock absorption in front
L14GKVSuspension range 14 installation control only, no requirement forecast
8ESHSWTwin headlamps for driving on the right,with integrated high beam (US design)
4A3SIHSeat heater for front seats separately controlled
3YRTAVDoor pockets with insert mats
QG0WIVWithout service interval prolongation
3Q9KOHThree rear head restraints
3PTSIEManual height adjustment for front seats
7GBAGMEmission standard

ULEV24X3SABSide airbag in front, with curtain airbag
0HMAEDVehicle class differentiation -
1KM- Build status corresponds to production in Mexico
5SHASLLeft exterior mirror: flat (US)
2UASWPStandard design
2K6SFSReinforced bumpers
5RRASRRight exterior mirror: convex (US)
2JBSTFStandard bumpers
2PPLRALeather-wrapped multifunction steering wheel
1G2RERSteel spare wheel with original equipment tire
0A2TUE4 doors
V0ARELTires without specification of tire brand

U5CINSInstrument cluster, mph speedometer USAD91MOT4-cyl.turbo diesel eng.2.0 l/103 kW (4V)TDI common rail; base engine is TG3/TJ3/T5P/TU3/TU4/TL4/TP4/TM3/TW3/TR4/TS1/TN58KDKUEWithout catalytic converter warning light with OBD 2 indicator lightJ1DBATBattery 380 A (72 Ah)H4BREIAll-season tires 205/55 R16 H (NAR)G1AGSP6-speed automatic transmissiongia
option code not found C2DRADAlloy wheels 6.5J x 161ATBRSElectronic stability control (ESC)4X9SABSide airbag in frontX9ALDAEquipment options subset for USA

Last edited:

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
I keep mentioning that I have some parts you'd be interested in :) I have everything from my 2012 JSW that wasn't required for the buyback...including those VW books/paperwork. I have the original leather binder and service pamphlet, etc, too. And a shifter, but for some reason my console was different from yours unless I just don't remember the 2012 from my 2015 but I thought they were similar. It's been about two years since I was driving it.

In any case, coming along nicely!