New Owner, 2012 Sportwagon... The Journey starts!

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
You don’t need vcds to change the fuel filter in this car. Just turn the key a few times and the system will fill the canister.

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
You don’t need vcds to change the fuel filter in this car. Just turn the key a few times and the system will fill the canister.
Good to know.

I have Liqui Moli Diesel Purge, and Diesel Klean on hand... read that I could fill the canister with that and do double duty Clean!

Anyone know if this kit has the tools I need to do the Timing belt?

https://www.amazon.com/8MILELAKE-En...6375408&sr=8-3&keywords=TDI+Timing+belt+tools

We have a Audi with a TSI in the family too, so i'd like as much specialized tooling as possible!

The only thing I didnt see in this kit was the Cam Counter holding bar for loosening Cam and HPFP pulley.
I have Steel, MiG and TiG, as well as a lathe....

The CD changer is clicking and wiring constantly... even after I take the key out, so thats gotta come out soon!

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Are you sure? I remember using VCDS to cycle the fuel pump and I thought that it was necessary. But its been years since I changed a fuel filter and perhaps that step was unnecessary.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
Are you sure? I remember using VCDS to cycle the fuel pump and I thought that it was necessary. But its been years since I changed a fuel filter and perhaps that step was unnecessary.
Yes. I’ve owned a few of these vehicles. With the Audi Q5 TDI I had to use VCDS to refill the filter, but it wasn’t a drop in filter.

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
Pulled the Head unit out, as the whirring and clicking noise was diving me nuts... well, more nuts!

Took the top off the unit.
Both ends of the ribbon cable seemed attached well...
Disconnected, it from the main board and took the changer out.
I can see at least 1 CD in there, but have not disassembled further.

Questions:
Anyone have any ideas?
Can I put the unit back in without the CD changer inside?

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
Pulled the Head unit out, as the whirring and clicking noise was diving me nuts... well, more nuts!
Took the top off the unit.
Both ends of the ribbon cable seemed attached well...
Disconnected, it from the main board and took the changer out.
I can see at least 1 CD in there, but have not disassembled further.
Questions:
Anyone have any ideas?
Can I put the unit back in without the CD changer inside?
The radio will work without the cd changer, but if you press media it’ll give you the cd error. There are a few cables on the bottom of the changer itself. Disconnect those and reseat them.

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
The cables looked fine, but as I have a 200 mile round trip today, I just slipped the unit back into place and, as Barry stated, it worked fine!

My T8 Torx bit grew legs, so I have ordered a new set and will disassemble the CD unit further and see if I can see anything wrong with it when they arrive!
No idea what the CD is... I can only see the edge of it!
Oh, the excitement!

I ordered the Timing tool set as above, and will see what the story is when it arrives.
I can make a cam/HPFP hold tool if I need to.

Seems my oil filters are lagging in shipment, so I have to wait before U start the big service.

Talking of service....
This the the Air filter that is in currently...:eek:

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes. I’ve owned a few of these vehicles. With the Audi Q5 TDI I had to use VCDS to refill the filter, but it wasn’t a drop in filter.
I'm not arguing with you. I really don't know. But I think I was following these instructions which stated: Unlike earlier TDI, your fuel tank's electric lift pump does not cycle on when you turn the key to "ON". And they show the procedure to use VCDS.

https://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/fuel-filter-replacement-2009-vw-jetta-golf-jsw-and-audi-a3-tdi/

By the way, OP that site has lots of great DIY tutorials for general maintenance. Its a great reference.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
There's a lot of debate about this. I find the procedure with VCDS to be kind of a PITA and I doubt most shops (or the dealer) do it. The pump will run if you cycle the key. I just put in the new filter and fill the canister before putting the top on. I don't think the car is going to blow up.

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
Thanks for the input.
I will refill the canister for sure with something like diesel klean or diesel
Purge.
I think I could maybe pull the rear seat and jumper the pump as it’s so easy to get at.

Service supplies are steadily arriving.
I spent a couple of hours yesterday on some cleaning and repairs. The car is truely filth under the surface. Pulled the rear seats up and it’s ugly under there!
The passthru hatch in the rear seats was not locking. Full
Of sand, grit and dirt. I managed to get it working and latched eventually. Rear seat air vent in the center console is busted. Scrubbed the roof and pillars in the drivers side and after 3 runs the cloth is cleaner.
Tire pressures were low at 28psi all around, so set them at 36.

Did my first good run in the car last night. My home to LAX Airport to pick up our son. About 65 miles each way. One way average at 70-75mph in the car pool netted 47.5mph. After spending 30 miles crawling around the airport and then running back a little harder the display dropped to 43mpg. Still impressive.
Be happier with new oil and filters tho!!!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Keep in mind the FE reading in the cluster is probably reading 5-10% high. You can calibrate it with VCDS.

I can't believe how congested the loop around the LAX terminals has gotten. One recent trip there it took me 45 min to get from the rental return to Terminal 4. Insane.

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
Yes, LAX is a cluster. Adding to the mix last night was 2x FD trucks racing into the mix.

I just use the display as a relative guide. I generally use the brim technique to check absolute.
Our ML 320 Bluetec would have been about 27 mpg on that same run. My 190d would have done about 35 mpg.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Thought there was a TSB put out by VW concerning priming the fuel filter via the computer after a change. Need to look around for it.

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
What is this I found under the seat?
Cup holder thingy?

Been cleaning....
Started at the back...
I think I said this car needed some TLC...

Pulled the rear floor, spare wheel etc...
This is how it looked...:eek:

Brown stuff is either Cola, or Coffee... either way it was like concrete...
Mixed a gallon of hot water/soap mix and scrubbed... and scrubbed...

This was up on bulge on the spare wheel well, rear Bumper interface... This is what had fell down from gap in the rear floor or hatch latch...:eek:

Anyway, no sign of rear end damage!

2 hours later...

Spare wheel is good, and I put 36 psi in it.

All reassembled!

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
Worked my way up from there...
The Previous owners were obviously Surfers/Beach goers... the amount of sand in the car is unbelievable...
Its everywhere... and its incredibly difficult to extract from the carpet/trim.
I pulled the CarGo overmat... which was full of sand...
This is it AFTER I vacuumed it 3 times!:rolleyes:

I ended up PRESSURE WASHING it!
You should have seen how much sand came out!

Lookin better!

The interior was not easy...
I went over it 3x with our house and then my Garage wet/Dry vac... still full of sand...

Then I went over it AGAIN with our Bissel Extraction Carpet cleaner...
This was the 3rd pass over the rear seat back, and it was still pulling brown dirt out!

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Yikes, that spare tire well looked nasty! So much better cleaned up. That round rubber piece goes around the oil fill, right under the cap.

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
Tired, and feeling better about the car.... It was time to take stock of the deliveries that were arriving all week.

I THINK this is everything a new owner of a 2012 VW Sportwagon TDI/DSG needs to complete the 120k Service!

This is what I got:

For Engine:
2x Mann HU 719/7 Oil Filters(1 for next time). Amazon $26.17 for 2.

Magnetic Drain Plug, 10 washers. Ebay. $13.48
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-14mm-Ma...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

1 Gallon of M1 TDT 5-40(I know some will disagree, but I'm not putting a non diesel rated oil in my diesel!). Walmart, about $25.

Mann Air Filter C35154/1. Amazon $16.96.

Mann Cabin Air Filter CUK 2939. Amazon $13.83.

Mann Fuel Filter PU 936/1. Amazon $26.00.

Timing Belt Delux Kit. DieselGeek, $308.96
https://www.dieselgeek.com/collecti...-timing-belt-kit-for-vw-golf-jetta-beetle-tdi

Timing Belt Tool Set. Ebay, $54.06
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-Tim...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Carbyne 3/8" Drive Triple square Set. Amazon $21.88
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077FJGNG7/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For Transmission:

DSG Liqui-Moly Service Kit. Ebay-CascadeGerman, $79.95
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-VW-DSG...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

CTA Tools 7416 DSG Fill adaptor. Amazon, $20.58.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D4QBP46/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Slippery Pete 1 quart bottle pump. Amazon, $8.59.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CX4XKFH/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think thats everything I have!:)

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That motor oil will work just fine, but it isn't a 507 rated oil like VW specifies. Mobil1 tdt is 1% sulfated ash, and 507 has a .8% limit. It's also a bit thicker. Personally, I'd use it, but thought you might want to know. Nice parts stash!

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
Thanks, I was aware.
I have that oil on hand as I use it in our ML320 Bluetec.

My only concern about using that oil is:
If I use it, is there any way it impacts the Emissions/HPFP or any other extended warrantee at 120k plus???

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's the crux of it. Extremely unlikely it would become an issue, but if you can use the TDT in your Mercedes, that would be the easiest solution. You could pick up 5 liters of a 507 oil, and not have to worry about it

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
Or make the emissions problem go away... ;)

You may want to look at the Chevron Delo 400 full synth, it is a CK-4 rated oil which absolutely is dpf-friendly and fully diesel rated. I don't know if it has VW's magic numbers, but if the ash is the only issue with Mobil 1 TDT or the Delvac ESP options... At least you know and can look up the specs.

There's no way I would put a 30 weight (what VW suggests) into my engine for 10k miles... Just asking for wear issues, especially in Florida heat.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The 507 spec is actually a very good diesel rating for light diesels like our cr tdi's. It's near the thick end of the 30 weight range. Many 507 oils like Mobil1 5w30 ESP also carry Mercedes and other diesel ratings. 507 is what most owners use, and I really haven't heard of any worn out CR tdi's yet.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
I changed the fuel filter last night and I’m changing the DSG fluid today. I don’t see any brake fluid in the picture.
I got that same cabin filter at Advance Auto for $6.74 after the 25% coupon they had on their website.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
I didn't add up your Amazon prices, but IDparts.com has filter packs where everything you need is packaged. Easy to get exactly what you need.

I'm curious what this wagon cost in this condition. Great project to bring it back, but certainly a lot of time going into TLC going into this one. Threads like this one with lots of before and after pictures are great.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I just read the entire thread and see that the oil discussion already came up. Using a CK4 rated 5w30/5w40 oil won't hurt anything(other than the warranty), nor will a 507 rated oil. The timing belt interval is actually 130k miles, so you don't have to feel pressured to do that immediately. All of my old timing belt components looked/performed like new when I did mine.

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
I'm glad to hear that there is some leeway in the timing belt interval - My JSW has 166k on it right now, and I do not know (yet) whether it got the service or not. Mine had been a company car and other than the mileage, was in damn near mint condition when I bought it... For $6k. It was dealer maintained and the Carfax records show the same dealer doing service right at every 10k and every 6-8 weeks for just about the entire history.

I've since put about $2000 into it for upgrades and maintenance - but I still feel like I am ahead of the curve for what the same car was selling for in Florida. But I don't have a record of the timing belt. Bleh. Once I get the title, I plan to see if I can get a dealer to cough up the actual service history to see what was actually done beyond what the carfax basic info says.

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
Oh, looks like I screwed up slightly... I could have sworn Timing belt was 120k!

That works, as I have a 1k round trip to AZ this month, and we have rain forecast on and off til then!

I will do Oil, and filters, tho as well as trans service before I go.
As stated, I have the M1 TBT oil on hand, and being in CA, I would prefer that 40w rating for the summers here, as well as our regular runs to AZ.

One run to AZ, it was 125F, across the Mojave, and we were running 5 up, with about 1100lb in people, and full luggage for a wedding in Sedona, in our ML320 Bluetec, at 80+mph. It never missed a beat, ran tirelessly, with the AC blowing ice cold, and did 25 mpg average. I can only imagine what the engine compartment temps were!
That's when u need that safety margin with a good oil!

This is it.
It came to us from FL, and it too, came with work needed.

One of my favorite moments from that trip, was that 3 of my passengers flew in from the UK the night before, and were jetlagged and sleeping in the back. My sister, woke up and commented that she was a little cold, and could I adjust the temp up a little, as her legs were icy... I told her to feel the window, and she was shocked and a little disoriented by the fact it was so hot. I popped her window down a inch and the 125f air came in, and swirled around, causing her to catch her breath, and look at me wide eyed!:D

Last trip out there in the ML, we almost cracked 30mpg.
Can't wait to see what the VW will do!

On the subject of these cars prices...
I have been looking for a while...
Here in CA, a 2011 and up Sportwagon with TDI have been pretty consistently $7500 up, topping out around the $13k for newer cars with lower miles.
That would be for a Smogged, Tagged, Serviced car.

This one was not....
No Smog, or tags, back taxes outstanding, spotty service history, kinda dirty/scruffy, and will need the rear bumper repainting, and some maybe PDR work.
Also, they knew the service was due.
Took the risk, and we will be about half that, so i'm comfortable, but there is always a worry that something will pop up and bust the budget!
I actually would have preferred a stickshift car, as I believe I would have been able to flat tow it behind my Motorhome.

This is my Baby...

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
125°, wow! I don't think I've ever experienced that outside of a greenhouse or sauna. That's a beaut of an RV(Mercedes looks nice too). What's the powerplant? Big ol' Mopar 440?