New NMS Owner - Quick Question on Rebuilt Titles and Emissions Warranty

kbaisley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
I think I already know the answer, but looking through the emissions flyer, I do not see any exception policy on "Rebuilt" titles. Based on prior experience with other OEMs, you are basically SOL when it comes to any warranty, but since it's emissions and the car IS registered and considered "Road Worthy' thinking might have a shot? Background 2012 SE with 45K on the clock. VW Emissions Fix was installed less than 1000 miles ago (3 months back). Crash damage was limited to some front sheet metal. All easy bolt on replacements in same color from boneyard. I am not experiencing any issues, but it would be the icing on the cake it it's still viable.

Has any had any experience on the emissions or any default extended (ie heater core etc not a paid extended warranty)?

Thanks in advance for your time

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
IIRC as long as it is still drivable/registered and operating, it still should be covered. Contacting the Class action attorneys is the best way to get an answer on this though.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
Any warranty extension (ie clock spring, a 2012 did not have heater core warranty extension) will be void and only recalls vw will cover are safety. Not sure on the tdi emissions warranty. I dealt with the other issues before.

kbaisley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
Any warranty extension (ie clock spring, a 2012 did not have heater core warranty extension) will be void and only recalls vw will cover are safety. Not sure on the tdi emissions warranty. I dealt with the other issues before.
Agree and I am good with the cancellation of the other warranty extensions. But, less than 1000 miles on the emissions fix and the extended emissions warranty would be a nice thing to have item. I will have to reach out to the emissions lawyers to validate. everything I am seeing alludes that it's fully transferrable.

kbaisley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
Nice - Knowing that these CKRA's have turbo issues, I will pray to the VW Gods that if I am going to have a failure, it will happen during this window. We like the BRMs we have, but they are getting long in the tooth and the kids don't fit in the back seat as well as they did with they were 5.

waxyboarder09

TDI
12 Passat SE
I have a 2012 passat tdi with 78k on it. CEL came on and took it to the dealer because it was emmisions related. They said it was not covered because of my rebuilt title. I knew it was because I called VOA before I bought it to make sure the warranty was still available. Your dealer may give you a hard time. But they are covered under warranty. If your dealer says no. Just call VOA.

kbaisley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
Thanks for your input with your rebuilt titled car, that will help me sleep better.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
IIRC as long as it is still drivable/registered and operating, it still should be covered. Contacting the Class action attorneys is the best way to get an answer on this though.
LOL like the attorneys are sitting by the phone awaiting peoples calls 4-3 years after the settlement. They got their blood money and we got a piece of paper, its now up to us vs VW.

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
-2013 JSW 6MT- -2006 Jetta DSG-
i was told by VW customer care the the warranty is still valid if the car has been placed back into service and that it is the dealer's discretion as to whether or not the accident damage or subsequent repairs have caused the problem.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
LOL like the attorneys are sitting by the phone awaiting peoples calls 4-3 years after the settlement. They got their blood money and we got a piece of paper, its now up to us vs VW.
Are you the eternal pessimist or what? The attorneys are there, it may take some work to contact and reach one of them but they can be reached and you can get an answer. But with your defeatist attitude I don't think you'll probably have very good luck personally. Others have managed to get their issues resolved without all that much trouble some have had to work at it some. And I imagine there are a few that have not been resolved at all. I don't know why you guys go on and on and on about just giving up and doing something else when it actually can be done. At least several people have replied lately that they've managed to get their issues resolved once they knew they even had a warranty and what to do about trying to get issues taken care of. I'm not saying it won't be without its problems but it can still be done most of the time.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I'm not a pessimist, just a realist ;)

from the the few accounts with positive resolution I've seen, they've just contacted VWoA and escalated it internally with customer care without lawyers being involved. I'm fully on board with an owner being an informed advocate for their best interests. VW dealers will wiggle out of coverage if they can pull one over the owner, but i don't think lawyers need to be involved when you hear no the first time.