New MPG Ratings article in USAToday

JustLuckey

Veteran Member
TDI
Non-VW: 2016 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
USAToday (today) ran an article pointing out the new mpg ratings that the EPA is using and how hybrids are taking the biggest hit.
Here's the comparo (old/new) for vehicles: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp

Vehicle Old mpg New mpg Difference

Toyota Prius 55 46 -16.4%

Honda Civic hybrid 50 42 -16.0%

Toyota Camry hybrid 39 34 -12.8%

Ford Escape hybrid FWD 34 30 -11.8%

Saturn Vue 29 26 -10.3%

Here's the complete article: http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2007-02-22-hybrids-usat_x.htm

JustLuckey

Veteran Member
TDI
Non-VW: 2016 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
The older vehicles comparisons may not be as accurate (not to say they are wrong or way off), but they seem to have tested less of the vehicle model. In your case Scythe, only 1 '99 NB Diesel was tested.
My model year took a huge hit (38 to 33).

Da~da~da

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6
Last edited:

sno779

TDI
2004 VW Golf
I'm with you Joe. My wife and I have never had a tank much less averaged as low as the revised standards suggest, in either the Golf TDI or the Honda Insight. I think the government just lowered the bar so the guzzelers won't feel so guilty. Some numbers for comparison;

VW Golf TDI 5MT.................... Honda Insight 5MT
new combined EPA 36...................... 53
worst ever tank 39.0....................... 58.9
best ever tank 60.1........................ 112.0
last 12 month 49............................ 94
life time average 47.6...................... 81.4

It really isn't a mater of if the car can make the mileage it's more of a matter of does the driver WANT to make the mileage.....Louis

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
There was a story on the ABC news tonight about these new ratings, and about how many hybrid drivers are unhappy with their mileage. They featured a woman who drives a Prius and gets 33.9 MPG. It seemed she was in a place that gets snow, so I assume that's her winter MPG.

sno799 is right, the driver has a huge impact on mileage. And I think a lot of hybrid buyers aren't bothering to try driving more efficiently.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Remember that the EPA tested new engines. You can't expect a new TDI to get mileage as good as in one that has been broken in properly.

easyrhino

TDI
98 New Beetle
Well,
I don't care what the 'new calculator' says: Our little 98 NB cruises up and down I-5 every day for 100 mile round trip and we average approx 47 mpg at 70mph.
What does that all mean? I don't know, but I like it...

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
I'm hitting the old EPA figures pretty consistently for my car (38MPG). And I don't really do anything special besides the "easy" things -
#1 - 38 PSI all around
#2 - watch the speed (fuel economy goes to pot above 70)
#3 - when possible, time the lights - try to avoid turning speed into heat (hit the brakes)

And I "race" up to cruising speed and level off.

Hot Georgia

Veteran Member
I've managed well above the old epa this winter with only reasonable efficiency stuff like speed limit drives (or a bit under if possible), timing lights, keeping momentum etc.

The article treats itself as if it is some new suprising revelation, which of course it is not.

What gets me is this:
Gasoline-electric hybrid vehicles, often bought because of their striking fuel-economy ratings, are big losers under more realistic mileage tests
So what exactly are they saying? If the Civic Hybrid for example rates 42MPG and say the regular Civic comes in at 29, how is the vehicle which is ~ 40% more efficient the big looser?

Where is the mention about fuel efficient diesel autos? :confused:

MalcolmBurke

Veteran Member
TDI
The DSG and 5 speed were downgraded as well. Now showing 30 driving around town. This should ease some of the bad feelings some drivers have over on the A5 forum. Nice to know before retrospect. . . Seems unfair. I am glad I didn't purchase my A5 DSG solely for fuel economy. It is a lot of fun to drive. I look forward getting into the car every day. I think that with proper rules of driving we here can do a lot better than the average Joe. A little knowlege literally get's you along way. :)

Last edited:

soberups

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
My 06 Jetta with DSG isnt even broken in yet and I'm consistently getting 35 MPG mostly around town....on b50. In winter. Once broken in, I'm expecting at least 40 on the highway, which is pretty damn good for a safe, heavy, comfortable car that runs on recycled cooking oil.