New MK4 owner - 2005 Jetta Wagon

justin71105

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon (BEW)
Traded my 15 Golf Tdi about 3 months ago on a 21' Accord. Put my Accord in on Carvana last week and they are offered me $700 over MSRP for it, they are picking it up later this week.

And I am picking up a 2005 MK4 Jetta TDi Wagon 5 speed with the BEW engine.

Its high mileage (300k+ on body) but ran and drove pretty good today when I test drove it. He had a low mileage used engine put in it a little over 2 years ago. From the receipt the used engine had 108k on it and he had timing belt, water pump, front axles and a south bend clutch done at that time with receipts.

Car is all stock, passed emissions 3 months ago and safety inspection, we dont have emission where I live so I may delete egr and tune.

Pulled the carfax and it has never been in an accident and has a ton of service records on it up until 260k miles. Owner said he did the services since he has had it, about 3 years.

Picking it up later this week, going to have the local VW guru do a full inspection and see what needs to be replaced and have a full service done. It does need some TLC but I like it and the best part is it will be paid for with cash left to put a new 4L60e transmission in my 64 C10 from the sale of my Accord.

It needs tires and still has the 15" wheels, going to order a new set of wheels and tires from discount tire for it when I pick it up, either a 16 or 17 instead of the 15's. Then I will also likely replace the headlight/tail light housings and detail it really well.

Needs a headliner and the door panel cloth recovered, have a roll of fabric from my 87 C10 I can do them with. Also want to swap seats out for a black set and get a touch screen radio and add a backup camera later on.

Last edited:

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon GL TDI 5-Speed Baltic Green
Nice, welcome to the BEW Wagon club!

If you want to keep it OEM, check out your local Craigslist, FB Marketplace, and even eBay for some nice VW or Audi alloys.

justin71105

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon (BEW)
Looked online and couldn't but one set, most likely will replace tires on the 15" steelies and keep looking. I like the 5 spoke style wheels like the monte carlos. Need tires before I start daily driving it, which if the weather turns bad will be as soon as I buy it.

If the weather holds out I will just ride my motorcycle to work until I get tires on it.

Along with new tires, will do all fluids. May have the shop I want to do inspection do them this time around. Need shift linkage adjusted I think, 2-3 gears ground a little on test drive.

While it did handle well on test drive, at its mileage I am expecting it to need shocks and struts and maybe ball joints.

Last edited:

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Gears grinding may be that the po put GL-5 in instead of GL-4.

If you’re after FE, you'd want to stick with 15” wheels, like the Avus. 5 spokes. My 02 GTi had 17” Santa Monicas (often called Montes) that look sweet. Also 5 spoke. Lower sidewall height improves turn-in response and looks (though you can Only see them when you’re parked). But the higher unsprung weight reduces acceleration, braking, and suspension damping.

justin71105

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon (BEW)
Having everything gone over the week after I pick it up. Was quoted $550 for a complete fluid change and mechanical inspection. Thats oil and filter fuel filter, transmission fluid and adjustment if needed and the inspection.

With the mileage since last major service cardax shows whoch was at 250k, I am expecting to maybe need all steering/suspension parts to be recommended to be replaced. Can do those myself but will get a qte just to see if its worth not turning wrenches.

justin71105

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon (BEW)
Also includes the coolant flush and fill for it as in that price.

Ordered a engine cover for it, original is missing. Still need to find the ball studs and little pucks that hold the cover in place.

Not really concerned with the fuel mileage mainly just wanted to be dependable and look good.

Also searching online for a radio with a screen so I can add a backup camera to it like my 2015 had.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I applaud your move back to a TDI, and to a MKIV. I believe they're the among the best VWs ever made, and I've owned every A class generation of VW at one time or another.

Coolant flush isn't really necessary on these cars. Coolant lasts really well between timing belt changes, and you replace enough of it then to be good to go. Fluids and filters are inexpensive for these cars: https://www.idparts.com/20k-service-kit-bew-074115562-p-4103.html Add an air filter for $8.95 and you're good to go. I would suggest you replacing the gear oil, as it may have never been done. Two bottles of VW fluid https://www.idparts.com/oem-070-manual-transmission-fluid-g070726a2-p-1438.html will do the job.

If you don't want to do this service yourself I'd find an independent shop https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/trusted-tdi-mechanics-by-state.130044/ with more reasonable prices.

I'm a fan of running 15s on my cars. I have a lot of them, but look around for some Avus 1 wheels if you want 15s. They're inexpensive, as are tires. And I think they look OK. Here's a set on my car.

justin71105

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon (BEW)
Thanks for the links and very nice wagon.

Last Major service at a shop that reports to Carfax was at 247k:

Cabin Filter
Valve cover gasket
Timing belt and water pump
Engine Cleaned
Cooling system checked
Rear pads/rotors replaced
Left front axle replaced
air filter replaced
Drivability/Performance checked
Brake fluid changed

Then at 274k he has receipt for motor replacement, tbelt, water pump and new clutch.

So there's a 84k miles gap with nothing reported which is fine but the reason I want someone with more experience than me going over it. My luck I will beak down on my way to work and need a tow to that shop anyway hahaha.

I will be doing all the services after this initial one, mainly want them to check out everything and make sure it has a clean bill of health. It will be my sole daily driver starting Wednesday other than my Road Glide. If I had a week or two to do these services it wouldn't be an issue doing them myself. But I am picking up the car wed evening and need it ready to go Fri for work. Wouldn't be able to get fluids and parts needed by then unfortunately so i will pay the high price once for a little peace of mind.

$550 is a bit steep for the listed items but they specialize in VW/Audi and have been there for over 30 years and the two mechanics for 15-20 yrs. Also get rave reviews from everyone I talked to who has used them and online. Actually thought they would have been on the guru list but they aren't.

I will be prepared to service it the next time around.

Checked the local junkyard website and they have a handful of the 04 and older VW's with nice alloy wheels on them I will go look at Wed after Carvana picks up my Accord. I don't mind a 15" but would rather an Alloy over the steel wheels on it.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Timing belt has an 80K service interval. If you don't have evidence it has been replaced in the last 84K it's overdue.

justin71105

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon (BEW)
Was supposedly replaced at 274k with the 108k mile used engine/turbo he had installed. I looked at the receipt for the engine swap but did not read through it in detail, will look over it and make sure it says Tbelt/water pump on it as well.

If it does not show on the receipt alongside motor I will go ahead with a Tbelt/water pump/tensioner change as well, rather get all the maintenance needed done in one go while I have expendable cash from the sale of my Accord.

I will inspect the ball joints, wheel bearings, brakes when I get it home Wednesday and see which ones are needed right away. It sounds like the car was used for all highway driving, so hopefully all of that is still in good enough shape to make it a few weeks while I wait for parts and time to replace everything.

Another wear item I will likely replace is the fuel pump in the tank, I found the entire setup online for $85.

Last edited:

justin71105

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon (BEW)
Motor was replaced with a 103k mile replacement when the odometer in the car was at 274,600. Vin decoder lists that engine to be from a 2005 Beetle TDi w/manual trans

Replacement motor got a new tbelt, pulleys and water pump at that time. Along with a stage 2 south bend clutch. He said the prevous owner had kept detailed binders of all the maintenance with receipts and he had thrown them away a few months prior. Would really have liked to see all that info, maybe not every oil change but major services would be nice to have a record of other than the carfax. I would like to see what that 247k miles service ran them price wise, that was a major list of repairs.

Was a 50 mile drive back home and it never missed a beat other than ahifting into 3rd gear on occasion would grind or be hard to engage. Most times I shifted there was no issue with it.

I came across a really good deal on a set of the 15" Avus wheels, $50 for all 4 with no center caps in good shape. Found center caps online for really cheap without the VW sticker.

Once I pick up the new wheels tomorrow I am having tires installed while I handle the title and registration.

Then I can go back to discount tire and have them mounted to the car and come back home and do a good detail on it inside and out.

Tuesday I am having the service done and will have them adjust transmission linkage and inspect bushings. See that in the car looking under the shifter boot the hole for the pin is broken. Looks like they were adjusting it and shifted into first breaking the backside of hole off, maybe thats why 3rd gear is an issue sometimes, the linkage never for adjusted 100%.

Will schedule for a new windshield and want some tint put on as well.

Have ordered a new in tank fuel pump, he said other than tires and the windshield that is the only other thing the car might need and he had never replaced it and it doesn't list it on any of the Carfax services.

Would like to find a center console/arm rest for it, it feels strange having no arm rest.

Last edited:

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I hated not having an armrest when I first got my Jetta. I've gotten used to it, and it's not so bad now. If I come across a used one in black from a part-out, I'd buy it. But I am steering clear of the aftermarket ones on Amazon/fleabay, as they seem to be $h!t for fitment and quality.

justin71105

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon (BEW)
Yeah I have ready pretty bad reviews on the aftermarket ones.

Junkyard near me has a car with one in it....in the pics. Going to check it out today and see what all the cars have left in them. Also want engine cover rubber pucks, need 2 of them. One of th cars is a tdi and I am hoping it still has them, if not will order them but $20 for 2 pieces of rubber is a bit high.

Just had new wheels/tires installed a few minutes ago and it feels really good now. Was worries it had some steering or suspension issues but guess it was those wore out tires.

The old ones got every last mile of use out of them for previous owner it looks like.

Last edited:

justin71105

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon (BEW)
Junkyard had a couple arm rests, goimg back when im off work monday.

Had stopped by to see if I could find some hubcaps for the new Wheels I didn't find any but there were several armrests.

Went to mount my license plate and found that all but one of the Rev nuts in the hatch are messed up. Going to pull the inner liner out drill them out and replace them with something else maybe next weekend.

Last edited:

Gruni14

TDI
2002 Jetta
Looks good. Eleven things come to mind I didn't read about above that you might keep your eye on.

1) Alternator. The brushes might be getting down to a nub if it's original. If you replace it, go with a good (new) Bosch or good name unit. They're kind of a pain to do. Actually IDK if they're different on a BEW engine. On my 02 you gotta remove a lot of stuff to replace the alternator. So, keep that in mind.

2) Wheel bearing. Didn't read anything about the Rt wheel bearing. Maybe they replaced that too. I've put a couple in my car so far. If it goes, that shop would probably be the best place to replace it.

3) Rear caliper pins and boots. Rear brakes on these ....at least in the snowy N. seem to be tricky to keep working year in and year out. The mounting brackets can wear where the pins slide. The boots can crack (after many yrs) and let water into the caliper pins. New caliper pin boots are super-cheap, easy to install, and cheap insurance. Small thing but can keep the rear brakes working longer.

4) Double-check that bolt at the bottom in the center that hooks to your car's frame. They get loose and fall out, and the engine will rock back-n-fourth a lot and start to damage/wear other items. Hopefully the guy who did the engine put some Thread-locker on the threads.

5) Windshield. I agree with the shop on the new windshield. That was the first thing I installed on my car when I got it. It wasn't cracked, but had a million tiny 'pits' from years of traffic. Man, a new windshield is like getting a new pr of glasses: You didn't know how bad the old ones were till after you put on the new pr! lol

6) Parts: Avoid part's store parts and buy good quality OEM (or German equivalent) going forward. The quality is just better.

7) Oil. What are you using for oil? Lot o guys use Shell Rotella Full synthetic. Heck, I used to go 12k miles between changes. Probably more than some would do, but mine's getting up to 300k on original engine and runs great. Regardless of brand, most guy used to use synthetic oil as I recall. YMMV.

8) MAF. At 270k or so, my car's MAF sensor drifted. Even after multiple cleanings, the readings were still within it's range but barely. One day started running like crap. After a LOT of screwing around and fits and starts (and wasted time), A New Bosch unit resolved it and runs better than ever. If you hook yours up to a scanner and it reads on the low end, consider pro-actively replacing. It's a simple unbolt job

9) Snow Screen?? I'm not sure, but do '04's have that hidden 'snow screen'? There's a hidden micro-mesh screen in the air ductwork on the driver's side engine compartment on many (most) MKIV's. You can't see it w/o removing the plastic pipe. Often those micro-screens get plugged up with bugs and airborne debris (cottonwood, dandilion seed, etc). If it's plugged up, it would be a mileage-killer. You would be wise to check it (if yours has it) and clean it out if need be. Maybe the P/O did that when he replaced the engine. Even so, it was still quite a while ago.

10) Tunes. Um, one thing these MKIVs lack is decent audio. Mine has the standard system most other Jetta's have and a small sub. But Man, I wish I would have installed better speakers and an upgraded sub in mine when I got it. Brought the stereo up to reasonable standards. I suffered years with sub-standard audio quality. If that matters to you, don't put it off. It'll make your driving experience better every day you drive it.

11) Foggy headlights. Looks like your car's headlights are becoming foggy. Yes a guy can buff them out, but that lasts about 4 months. You can buy replacements not that expensive that make a car look newer and fresher, and provide a lot better night lighting. Not difficult to do, I'm sure there are tutorials on the forum.

Looks great. Enjoy...

Last edited:

justin71105

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon (BEW)
Alternator still looks fairly new, cant read the paper tag on it tonsee dat though.

Wheel bearings, they make no noise but will be looking at those when I change rotors and pads in a few weeks.

Have ordered new headlights and bulbs for it as well as fuel line. The lines between filter and rail have seen betyer days.

New windshield getting put in Monday, stock one is very pitted and has a pretty long crack across it.

Last edited:

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Don't change a wheel bearing that is working fine as part of a brake job. You said they are making no noise, so if you have no play in them (try to rock the tire at 12:00 & 6:00), leave them be. They fail slowly and give plenty of warning when they need to be r & r'd. You could well have 10s of thousands of miles of service left in them.

justin71105

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon (BEW)
Yes sorry inspection is what I had in mind. Spin wheel and listen and also moving wheels up/down/side to side to feel for ball joint and tie rod slop, bearing play. Having the shop doing my service perform a maintenance inspection as well so all of this should be done then with a list of needed repairs. After washing the car, cleaning the engine bay a little, changing air/cabin filters I don't think they will find much of anything hoestly.

Have a in tank fuel pump coming as a preventative item but that is all I saw. Mainly want the transmission linkage adjusted, with the small hole on the shift lever that the 5mm pin goes in broke I don't want to mess with doing it myself.

I pulled the front driver wheel yesterday to test fit the alloys I bought and there was no slop in it at all. While washing it i did notice the rear passenger boot is on all the way around on the shock, but the ride quality is fine.

Brake pads looks fine in front, brand new actually but the rears are at about half. Without having measured the rotors I cant say whether they are good or not but they look to be from the 250k mile service just from visual inspection.

I filled the power steering reservoir as it was a bit low, and ordered a coolant reservoir. The float on the inside of the one in it was all in pieces, cleaned them out for now and will replace when I get the new one.

Drove to work in it this morning and it seems like it will be a nice daily driver. Nowhere near the tech level as my 21' Accord or even my 15' Golf TDi but it like it a lot. Now just need to get my C10 finished so I can have a backup.

Last edited:

justin71105

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon (BEW)
Got my new fobs in and everything swapped over and verified it works. Those little pills in there are a beast to remove, took heat gun and small flat head to pry it out.

Last edited:

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon GL TDI 5-Speed Baltic Green
Man, I loved reading over this thread - makes me want to start a "build thread" on mine.

9) Snow Screen?? I'm not sure, but do '04's have that hidden 'snow screen'? There's a hidden micro-mesh screen in the air ductwork on the driver's side engine compartment on many (most) MKIV's. You can't see it w/o removing the plastic pipe. Often those micro-screens get plugged up with bugs and airborne debris (cottonwood, dandilion seed, etc). If it's plugged up, it would be a mileage-killer. You would be wise to check it (if yours has it) and clean it out if need be. Maybe the P/O did that when he replaced the engine. Even so, it was still quite a while ago.
2004s + do not have Snow Screens, btw - I just confirmed this with mine two weeks ago.

Gruni14

TDI
2002 Jetta
It's refreshing to see a guy really doing the things to make a Jetta diesel reliable and fun to drive for a long time. It'll definitely tread you 'right'. You'll appreciate it every time you pass the gas stations. Plus, you probably won't be getting stopped by any cops for squealing away from stop lights! (bonus!)

Keep us up on the other things you're doiing

justin71105

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon (BEW)
Little later down the road i will be adding a radio with a screen so I can have a back up camera. I do miss having that compared to my Accord and Golf, but so fa I really like this little car.

Going to hit up the junk yard later next week for some trim I am missing, mainly whatever goes in front of the shifter. Think it is supposed to be an ashtray and a lid up there. Going to swap the 12V receptacle for a 12V + usb charger.

Will be covering headliner and door cards the fabric is coming off. I am a Star Wars fan so I have picked 3-4 fabrics I am going to look at sometime to put in it.

Have a roll of black headliner left over from another vehicle with foam backing. Will use it on roof and go over with a pattern I like. Door cards will probably get just fabric and no foam.

Last edited:

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I also need to do my headliner. As a temp fix, I just stapled it up. Tried regular paper staples which looked pretty good (hard to notice), but after the first drive with the windows down it was apparent they lacked sufficient holding power.

So I got out my “normal” staple gun. staples are pretty noticeable, but the liner stays put.

There’s some YouTube and vortex tutorials. Only real difficulty is the b!tch clips at the top of the A pillar.

Can’t wait to see your headliner wrapped in Star Wars material. I was thinking camo for mine, in a lighter-weight fleece.

justin71105

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon (BEW)
First possible issues.

Turn signals stopped working midway home, no emergency flasher either. First thought was flasher relay, got half way home and turn signals working but no emergy flashers.

Found fuses for flashers and horn were removed, replaced them and they both work fine.

But I am wondering if he was getting a parisitic draw from one of them and thats why they were missing. Pulled them back out and will put them in tomorrow after work to see if I drop any voltage overnight.

Did order a new flasher for the dash as I have read it is the flasher relay for both turn signals and emergency lights and it is cheap.

Been running fine as is so will look at it Monday while I am off. Put in those fuses and measure the voltage drop I get, may not be an issue.

Last edited:

justin71105

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon (BEW)
Found a 04 passat at the junkyard with like new leather seats. Fromts are heated as well so going to look into buying the harness and buttons for them.

Didnt research any before buying though so they wouldnt fit right off, got the front to fit by swapping the seat bases.

Don't think the rears are going to work, could probably get the bottoms to mount by drilling the mounts and moving them over but they still look different than mine so not going to try.

The seat backs for the rear mount completely different.

Going to return the rear seats and pick up a set a golf or jetta set of rears and rework the bottoms.

From reading the seat backs should work with no mods from those 2.

Sucks because these look brand spanking new.

Last edited:

justin71105

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon (BEW)
Swapped out the in tank fuel pump and coolant reservoir just a few minutes ago.

Think there was a squirrel living in the car for awhile lol, also found some shells under air filter when I changed it out. Vacuumed them all out and cleaned it up pretty good before and after pump change.

New windshield installed today, going tomorrow for the full service on it. Then need to schedule tint and install a few other ofds and ends I got in today....rotors, pads and headlights/bulbs mainly.

Last edited:

justin71105

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon (BEW)
Swapping seats also caused air bag light, forgot to disconnect battery 😬

Since this is an 05 can I use the vcds lite to do some code clearing and prime fuel pump and stuff or do I need to order the full cable/software for $200.

Color codes on new seats and old seats are different but after researching some about rhe plugs the colors line up like recommended.

Car-New seat plug Driver
Brown - Brown
Green-Black
White-Blue

Car-New seat plug passenger
Brown-Brown
Light blue-Blue
White-Black

Going to see if the VW shop will clear code for me.

Still would like a cable of my own for later maintenance and code troubleshooting. Hoping the Lite version is enough for the basics, will read some more about them. Dont see a cable on Ross tech site for the lite though.

Last edited:

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
I think the free version assumes someone who has a legacy cable or one of the counterfeit cables, i.e. not truly endorsing it since it's not full-featured but acknowledging those people exist.

There's also a free command line-based tool that can clear codes:

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
That free tool mentions the type of cable you might need, and I think it's the same kind of cable that'd work with VCDS Lite.

"When choosing an interface for VCDS-Lite, we recommend getting one that's based on an FTDI FT232 Chip."